Old July 5th 03, 11:22 PM
Kim W5TIT

wrote in message ...
"Kim W5TIT" writes:

It is extremely disappointing to me to see that this hobby is so
populated by people who are so pleased with themselves. . . [snip]

Ridiculous. All achievements encourage pride, which in some translates
into arrogance. If we beefed up the written tests, and eliminated CW,
then the arrogance would remain. It's the nature of the beast.

True, there are always those that are arrogant. However, is it possible
that the CW testing requirement enhances one's tendency to do that?

Over time, the CW testing has (by many hams) been a filtering device. .

.. [snip]

Barriers to entry have their uses. All the best organizations have
them. Compare CB radio, which has none.

I'd have to see some examples. I was not aware that "filtering" was that
widely in use.

As amateur radio operators we are ambassadors of the United States.

That's just a piece of rhetoric, used to help justify allocation of
spectrum by a post-world-war congress. Hams represent only themselves.

Well, I don't take it as a piece of rhetoric. I take it seriously.

I am happy to have *anyone* in the hobby--even those with
not-so-great-operating practices, . . . [snip]

Basically agree, depending what "not-so-great" means exactly. :-)

Regards,
Len.

There are those who get all upset over things such as someone saying "10-4"
or "turn my house around," etc. Or those that habitually just make a call
without checking to see if a freq is in use, etc.

Kim W5TIT
Sorry so short, but I've seen a few of my posts today that have some error
related to being too long...