Old July 6th 03, 04:22 PM
Kim W5TIT

wrote in message ...

I believe in keeping the CW requirement, and even adding a few more
requirements, precisely to enhance the loyalty of licensees and to
discourage those who wouldn't be active anyway, or would engage in bad
practice. But I don't beg the original question; I've pointed out that
a swimming requirement would do almost as well.

Len, not to be argumentative, but there are numbers of hams who got their
license even under more stringent testing requirements than the past few
years, who are inactive and, of those still active, have terrible, terrible
operating practices.

CW doesn't prove loyalty, staying active, or provide for positive operating
practices. It simply means one has passed a CW test, don't you think?

Kim W5TIT

IOW, I believe in weeding out those whose interest in ARS is
sufficiently limited that he refuses to take and pass the swimming
test--but I wouldn't say, "If you aren't interested in swimming a
mile, you aren't interested in ARS."

Likewise with CW.

Regards,
Len.

Again, I don't believe in "weeding out" anyone who can and wants to pass the
requirements to get a ham license. And passing CW doesn't weed out
anything, heck, listen to any of the HF frequencies that we all have heard
with the creeps and nitwits on.

The only "area" in which the frequencies may prove out your belief is,
literally, on the CW bands, where--simply because of the mode of
operation--bad operating practices aren't easily facilitated. I know many
hams who claim to be "pure of heart" for the sake of their fellow CW-only
friends who, the minute they get on 2M or in an eyeball meeting, rival any
bad practices I've heard and have the language of the rest of us when we are
speaking verbally! GRIN

CW alone doesn't equal good operating, etc. The mode just simply doesn't
facilitate anything but a jargon based language that is difficult to spend
time swearing, cursing, etc.

Kim W5TIT