Old July 7th 03, 11:54 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Steve Robeson, K4CAP" wrote in message
om...
Mike Coslo wrote in message

This is not as far-fetched as it may seem. I tried to help out a new
Extra in a contest once. I knew he did not have any HF experience at
all, yet he wanted a bare minimum of help. After showing him where the
PTT was, and how to change bands, I started to explain the structure of
a contest QSO. He interrupted me after the first sentence with a "not to
be rude, but I'll take over now". I came back the next morning and saw
the results of his work. Six QSO's! He was woring at the rate of 1 QSO
per hour under *good* band conditions!

I know this type...Not from Amateur Radio, so much, but from
flying...They learned enough to get into the air and that's ALL they
want to do. And usually he's the idiot that Civil Air Patrol has to
go find at 0300. Of course he's in bed (didn't close flight plan) of
the ELT on his aircraft is squawking because he didn't do a proper
shut down.

Even in my own experience, I know that I had my extra before I should
have. I went from General to Extra in a little over 6 months.

I forget who said there's two kinds of knowledge...there's the
things you know, and the things you know where to find the answers
to...

I would propose that there be at least a year wait before upgrading to
Extra. Ya just can't gain enough operating knowledge in less time.

Yep!

Steve, K4YZ

Used to be back in the sixties. Think it was 2 or 3 years actual on the air
experience as General or higher (class A, Advanced) then you could take the
Extra test.

Dan/W4NTI