Old October 1st 03, 01:27 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Hans K0HB" wrote in message
om...
(N2EY) wrote

It is a fact of human nature that most people value a thing more if it
took some investment of themselves to acquire.

Jim, you really need to retire this old mantra.

'It is a fact of human nature' that real people don't value a thing
based on it's 'investment' or 'cost', but rather based on the
usefulness, utility, comfort, satisfaction, or enjoyment that comes
from having it.

My amateur license cost me virtually nothing in terms of 'investment
of myself', and the curbs and gutters the city just installed at one
of my places cost me an $8,200 assessment. I value my amateur license
a LOT more than I value the city's new street curbing!

You invested your time, interest, and self in the amateur license. You
merely put money into the curbs and gutters. In the minds of many people,
the investment in your amateur license was far greater that your investment
in curbs and gutters.

The things that I value the very most quite honestly are literal gifts
which I have recieved without an ounce of 'investment' or 'cost' ---
the love of my wife, the smiles of my grandkids, the whisper of the
wind at sunset on Lake Vermilion, the conversation with an old friend,
or my healthy heart. I value all of these more than my homes, my RV,
my boat, or the QSL collection in the closet.

The love of your wife and all these things are not free and are not gifts.
A loving relationship requires a large and continuous investment of self
(not money) to endure and to be worth while. Each of the other items also
requires some type of investment from you that doesn't necessary involve
money.

Investment is not exclusively a monetary term.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE