Old October 2nd 03, 08:05 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
.com...

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
.net...
"N2EY" wrote:
The removal of the Morse Code test from the Technician
class license has not resulted in a technical revolution in
amateur radio from newly-licensed "technically qualified"
amateurs. (snip)

I didn't know the Technician license was supposed to lead to a

technical
revolution in anything, Jim. Instead, I thought they were just supposed

participate in the same activities most other Amateur Radio operators

are
participating in. Why the unique expectation for Technician license

holders
alone?

Those who pushed for the Tech no code license loudly and repeatedly

claimed
that it would lead to a major influx of technically bright hams that would
lead to significant technical advances in ham radio since it was

supposedly
code keeping them out. Well that influx of technical types didn't happen.
Unfortunately, the Technician licensees following that change are saddled
with an expectation that they themselves did not create. They shoulder

the
burden of expectations created by those who would not have to fulfill

them.
Whether or not one believes in code testing, it highlights some of the
inherent flaws in the argument that code keeps technical types out of ham
radio.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I wonder how many of the 'enlightned' know what the Technician license was
ORIGINALLY
intended for?

I'll help you out....it wasn't an 'entry level' license.

Come on all you old timers. Straighten out the enlightned out there.

Dan/W4NTI