Old October 11th 03, 07:29 AM
N2EY

In article .net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

"N2EY" wrote:

Incorrect. What "push"? Based on membership
numbers, NCI has fewer than 5000 members
worldwide (snip)

Oh, come on, Jim. What is this "what push" nonsense? The push to remove
code testing that so many pro-code test advocates, including yourself on
occasion, have been ranting about in this newsgroups for so very many years.

"Ranting"?

Perhaps I could have worded my post better.

My point is that the whole issue is not a mass movement. Clint claimed, without
any proof, that most hams want code testing gone. Yet surveys show the
opposite.

The fact remains that out of over 680,000 US hams, fewer than 1% have joined
NCI.

As you well know, NCI is only a tiny part of the overall movement to end
code testing - far more outside that organization are involved (including
some in this newsgroup you've personally discussed this issue with).

How do we know this?

The restructuring NPRM gathered fewer than 2500 comments, even though the
comment period was extremely long and the whole thing given lots of publicity
in the amateur press.

Compare that to how many comments the NOI on BPL has gathered in a much shorter
time.

To now
try to move the focus solely to NCI, while knowing full well that so many
others are involved, is just not being honest about the situation.

Who are "so many others", Dwight? If they really exist, why haven't they signed
on to NCI, which costs nothing more than a few mouse clicks?

Do you honestly think denying the push to remove code testing will somehow
make it go away? Do you honestly think denying the existence of others
outside NCI will somehow make them disappear? It isn't going to happen, Jim.

I'm not denying any of that. Sorry if it seemed that way.

The movement to end code testing has never been stronger. To deny that, in
light of all that has happened over the last few years, would bring into
question a person's sanity.

How about the claim that most hams want it, despite all the surveys showing the
opposite?

And if it's such a done deal, why didn't FCC just dump Element 1 back in July?

73 de Jim, N2EY