Old August 1st 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default indoor listening antenna

My apartment complex recently restricted me to having only antennas on
the inside, and I was wondering what would work best for listening to
the HF and shortwave bands. I live on the first floor, with no access
to an attic.

Kris
KC7VWQ

Old August 2nd 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Kris, KC7VWQ" wrote in message
ups.com...
My apartment complex recently restricted me to having only antennas on
the inside, and I was wondering what would work best for listening to
the HF and shortwave bands. I live on the first floor, with no access
to an attic.

Kris
KC7VWQ

These people are usually too dumb to associate a wire with an antenna. Try
jamming a length of #30 wire out the top of a window, and throw the other
end as far up a tree as you can.

Tam/WB2TT

Old August 2nd 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Some tricks are tape to a #30 wire in the corner of the floor or the
ceiling...
Or you can form a horizontal loop -around the 4 walls of the room...
Run 300 ohm twin lead up to it and use a tuner..
You can form a vertical loop against one wall of the room by running
the wire around the corners...
Or run a wire under the rugs to the patio door... Screw the end of the
wire to the door frame.. Again, use a tuner on the wire.
Run a wire out a window or door and up a corner of the wall to the
gutter ( if metal) and scew into it... Again, use a tuner... If the
gutter is plastic, continue the wire along inside or behind the
gutter...
A wire out a window and up to a tree (as another mentioned)...
Put up a flag pole with a flag.. Pole is, of course, your vertical
antenna... Run a coax cable out to it..
Put a mobile antenna on your car... Run a coax from the radio to the
car... (remember to unhook before leaving

denny

Old August 2nd 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Kris, KC7VWQ" wrote in news:1154472380.495339.322680
@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

My apartment complex recently restricted me to having only antennas on
the inside, and I was wondering what would work best for listening to
the HF and shortwave bands. I live on the first floor, with no access
to an attic.

I know a guy who lives on an upper floor who has laid 65 feet of wire
around his baseboard. He has a fairly good signal on 75 with it!

In your case, you might try running it around the wall at ceiling height.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667
Old August 2nd 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1 Aug 2006 15:46:20 -0700, "Kris, KC7VWQ"
wrote:

I was wondering what would work best for listening

Hi Kris,

Staying inside the apartment has you soaking in noise. You will need
an antenna filter - a cheap, meterless three knob unit will do.

Look into getting it outside, possibly with a downspout. Check into
RG-178, a thin coax that borders on invisible. Put a choke at the end
that sees an ad-hoc dipole.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM