Old July 22nd 03, 03:42 PM
Rev Tom Cox

Default AM/FM Reception on a new RCA/Radio Shack All In One unit DVD/CD,Cable,Aux Inputs etc.

As he subject implies I purchased an all in one unit,with surround sound
etc. The problem is I have yet to get even a static or buzz not to mention a
real radio station on either the am or fm mode. The cheapos sent a small
dipole antenna for the fm,(who wants a dipole antenna on their living room
wall, and an obviously just as cheapo am loop antenna. I have now tried a
$35 indoor antenna for am/fm that is under 12 volt power to boost signal.
Still nothing works. The unit was in the shop for the dvd player and I ask
them to check the function of the am/fm and the repair tag came back as all
ok. I am surrounded by trees, but frankly all the other radios in the
house work from my small portables to the large receiver that was replaced
by the new unit.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what my next step should be? Assuming the
am/fm function works then I am having trouble with the antenna, and an
outside antenna is not out of the question but does not satisfy the am side.
Open to all suggestions and Thanks for listening to a real neophyte in this
area.

Old July 22nd 03, 04:27 PM
WB3FUP \(Mike Hall\)

Go the store you bought your unit from. Spend
3.99 on a folded dipole cut for the middle of the
FM broadcast band (430-2385). Put it on the wall
in an "inverted V" configuration. Enjoy, you
will not notice the antenna 120 days later, they
are that inconspicuous. Spend no more than $50.
Buy stacked folded dipole antenna (150-2164
15.99), coax to feed from antenna to receiver, 2
75/300 ohm baluns (assuming your receiver's
antenna input IS NOT coaxial), wall bracket & mast
(if you do not stick the antenna in the attic).
The antenna is two of the folded dipoles,
constructed of aluminum tube, stacked at right
angles to each other to be omni directional. I
have owned and used both solutions for more than
20 years. I have sold, at Radio Shack the
solutions for 6 years to hundreds of customers w/o
return or complaint, and occasionally with
compliment.

--
73 es cul

wb3fup
a Salty Bear

Old July 22nd 03, 06:50 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

If you get nothing on AM, not even at night, you are doing something wrong.
Take another look at the instruction manual. Make sure the loop antenna is
hooked up correctly, and that you don't have some wrong button pushed, as
for instance, tape monitor; you could also be in some mode that mutes all
stations that are not transmitting a digital ID. Can you take it back to
where you had it repaired, and have them show you that everything is OK?

Tam/WB2TT

Old July 23rd 03, 12:15 AM
Dan/W4NTI

You have answered your own question. If all the other radios work...to some
degree. And the new one does not...at all. The new one is broke.

As for checking out the AM/FM at the shop. This could mean this to 'some'
It lite up..it works.

Dan/W4NTI

Old July 23rd 03, 12:48 AM
Dave Shrader

Rev. Tom, it sounds like you were sold a defective radio.

Take it to Radio Shack and have them demonstrate in their store that it
is working!!

Rev. Dave

Old July 23rd 03, 04:04 AM
'Doc

Rev Tom,
Save yourself time and trouble, take it back for
a refund. If they ask 'why', tell them.
'Doc

Old July 23rd 03, 09:54 PM
WB3FUP \(Mike Hall\)

NO IT IS NOT WHAT CAME WITH THE RADIO!

What came with the wire is a T, not a folded
dipole. No I have no idea of what I am talking
about. I did not work there for 6 years. You
appear, on the surface, the customer who would not
listen, to whom I happily sold the useless
amplified antennas for $30 to $50.

--
73 es cul

wb3fup