Old January 5th 04, 06:40 PM
Murray Green, K3BEQ

Default Cell Wave Query

Can any of you antenna pros out there tell me what would be the
expected life span for a Cell Wave 4 element vertical dipole? Do not
have the model number but the cost was close to $600 when purchased.
The antenna is cut for 2 meters. Realize that a number of factors
can be involved such as weather conditions, area installed etc. In this
case it is up 80' off ground level and 300' above sea level just outside
of WashDC.

Second question. I recognize that Cellwave has an excellent reputation.
Are there any other antenna companies that may compare or exceed
Cellwave antenna products in performance and durability?

Thanks.
73 Murray, K3BEQ
Old January 6th 04, 02:13 AM
Ed G.

Can any of you antenna pros out there tell me what would be the
expected life span for a Cell Wave 4 element vertical dipole?

1. Its "Celwave", not "Cell Wave". (Search also "RFS Celwave")

2. Celwave was formerly Phelps Dodge.

3. The model you want for 2 meters is the PD340-3.

4. A properly installed antenna with properly installed and sealed
feedlines will probably last longer than you.

Second question. I recognize that Cellwave has an excellent reputation.
Are there any other antenna companies that may compare or exceed
Cellwave antenna products in performance and durability?

Other comparable manufacturer are Andrew, Sinclair, and Decibel
Products. Quality is comparable amongst all.

Ed WB6SAT
Old January 6th 04, 11:45 PM
Murray Green, K3BEQ

Thank you, however, I doubt very seriously any antenna is going to
last over 70 years. But appreciate your input. Best estimate I
received from those in the business of installing the antennas is
in the area of 15-20 years.

Old January 7th 04, 02:18 AM
Ed G.

Thank you, however, I doubt very seriously any antenna is going to
last over 70 years. But appreciate your input. Best estimate I
received from those in the business of installing the antennas is
in the area of 15-20 years.

Heh heh, well maybe you sounded "decrepit" to me in your original
posting? Anyway, the 15-20 figure is good. If you use heliax, seal the
hell properly out of all connectors, and mount the antenna and heliax very
firmly, those no reason other than extremes of nature (lightning,
huricane, etc,) to prevent it from lasting longer.

Ed
Old January 7th 04, 03:57 PM
Murray Green, K3BEQ

**Still hanging in there at almost 73. Agree on the sealing. Club has
a perfectionist who does electronics on boats and is a stickler on
doing things right, especially sealing. Again, thank you.
73 Murray, K3BEQ
=======================

Old January 7th 04, 04:13 PM
Richard Harrison

Murry Green, K3BEQ wrote:
"---I doubt that any antenna is going to last over 70 years."

There are numerous medium wave broadcast arrays in operation
continuously since 1934, the year of the famous communications act of
1934, and some still stand from years earlier. They receive inspections,
repair, and repainting as required to keep them highly visible.

A two-meter band antenna constructed of stainless steel by a quality
manufacturer should be at least as durable. 1934 was too early in the
use of 2 meters to provide many examples to prove the point.

I worked 26 years for a corporation which used many VHF ground planes
including 2-meter types. Nearly all were supplied by Andrew Corporation.
They were folded monopoles and withstood repeated lightning strikes
decade after decade. They were permanent and like the broadcast antennas
, they received inspections and infrequent repairs when rarely required,
but they weren`t painted.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old January 7th 04, 09:29 PM
Murray Green, K3BEQ

In retrospect, I guess I should have clarified the sentence so that
it did not encompass "any antenna". Broadcast arrays certainly were
not under consideration since my question was in the arena of Amateur
Radio antennas. But you are correct; they are long lasting but
"mega-bucks" at today's prices.

Concerning "repeated lightning strikes decade after decade" for
2 meter types. I suspect they don't make them like they used to.

The particular Celwave antenna that I was concerned about is
a 4 dipole vertical. The harness is inside the tube mount and
totally inaccessible. Celwave no longer makes the harness nor the
antenna for 2 meters. (Bottom line: Lack of sales.) However, as
stated in some of the exchanges, 15-20 years for a $500-600
antenna is expected, although the guarantee was for 5 years when
purchased in 1996. Ours lasted 8. Some compatible antennas today are
only guaranteed for 2 years. Times and products have changed. Less
for your money and that applies to most products, not necessarily
amateur related, unfortunately. Again thanks for your input. The
good old days; quality and durability. Wish we had em back.
73, Murray, K3BEQ

Richard Harrison wrote:

Murry Green, K3BEQ wrote:
[...]

Calculus not needed (was: Reflection Coefficient Smoke Clears a Bit) David or Jo Anne Ryeburn Antenna 17 December 13th 03 10:48 AM
What Exactly is a Radio Wave? jj Antenna 25 November 3rd 03 12:14 AM
Smith Chart Quiz Radio913 Antenna 315 October 21st 03 05:31 AM
Nonlinear wave propagation Tom Bruhns Antenna 9 September 12th 03 03:35 PM