Old September 5th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Mobile antenna shootout results?

Looking for a website with results of mobile antenna shootouts. Google
returns lots of hits, but not what I'm looking for. Any help?

Thanks,

--
Bill, W6WRT
Old September 5th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bill Turner wrote:
Looking for a website with results of mobile antenna shootouts. Google
returns lots of hits, but not what I'm looking for. Any help?

I've got a short summary of three 20th century CA
shootouts on my web page at: www.w5dxp.com/shootout.htm
What is it that you are looking for?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old September 5th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Old September 5th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bill Turner wrote:
Your website answers my question. I was looking for comparisons
between the various antenna designs. Big coils and top hats win, knew
that already, but nice to see the dB figures.

Big center-loaded coils with Big top hats on
Big vehicles win. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old September 5th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

I've got a short summary of three 20th century CA
shootouts on my web page at: www.w5dxp.com/shootout.htm
What is it that you are looking for?

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

Your website answers my question. I was looking for comparisons
between the various antenna designs. Big coils and top hats win, knew
that already, but nice to see the dB figures.

I don't see any information at that web site about the type of vehicle.
Since the vehicle radiates an amount comparable to the antenna, it can
have a profound effect on the overall field strength. Were all those
antennas mounted on the same type of vehicle?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old September 5th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
I don't see any information at that web site about the type of vehicle.
Since the vehicle radiates an amount comparable to the antenna, it can
have a profound effect on the overall field strength. Were all those
antennas mounted on the same type of vehicle?

Those are averages, Roy, not associated with any particular
vehicle. The average screwdriver beats the average hamstick
on 75m. Using similar antennas, the larger vehicles (GMC
pickups) usually beat the smaller vehicles (Honda Civics).
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old September 6th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
et...
Roy Lewallen wrote:
I don't see any information at that web site about the type of vehicle.
Since the vehicle radiates an amount comparable to the antenna, it can
have a profound effect on the overall field strength. Were all those
antennas mounted on the same type of vehicle?

Those are averages, Roy, not associated with any particular
vehicle. The average screwdriver beats the average hamstick
on 75m. Using similar antennas, the larger vehicles (GMC
pickups) usually beat the smaller vehicles (Honda Civics).
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Makes sense.
Also confirms my experience.
I've also found optimum performance driving the antenna where it's resonant
and matching the (purely resistive) impedances with a transformer.
In this case a simple toroidal autoformer. At 40 meters, a Tarheel
screwdriver with a five-foot whip is about 20 ohms, for example.
73
H.

Old September 6th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
[...]

First time I noticed this was in the early 70s after I put a CB radio
on a school bus camper. The same radio and antenna had been on a
Volkswagon before. The difference was very noticable.

Old September 6th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
oups.com...

Roy Lewallen wrote:
[...]

That must have been an increase in surface area for the ground side of
things of something like an order of magnitude.
I bet it was a striking difference.
73
H.

Old September 9th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Can I ask who uses what in the mobile antenna stakes.

To help narrow it down abit my car is a small one. a peugeot 206 sw /
estate.

Have just bought an HF radio for it and looking to find the "right" antenna.

Looking for opinions. I'm edging towards a little tarheel 2 but that means
getting it shipped to the uk.

the 20 meter monoband that i bought looks a bit on the long side.

Any advice?

Alan

I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
Mobile 2m/70cm antenna Rod Maupin Antenna 7 December 2nd 05 01:05 AM