Old January 8th 04, 06:51 PM
Desmoface

Default vertical dipole?

Hey kids..I know gap kind of does this..but anyone think a verticle dipole
would work...basically a vertical fed in the center...Im wanting a good 10
meter antenna for local stuff and was thinking about a conventional
vertical..than I thought maybe I could do without the radial system and ground
loss issue but just putting up a vertical dipole for 10...any thoughts??

Steve
kb8viv
Old January 8th 04, 07:03 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Have built several of these -- works great -- just run the coax at 90
degrees as far as you can from the center feed point OR consider using a
coax choke or balun.

See URL:

http://www.n2aqs.com/facts.html
and URL:
http://www.n2aqs.com/

More can be found by typing "Vertical Dipole" into google
http://www.google.com/
--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Old January 8th 04, 07:11 PM
Desmoface

Have built several of these -- works great -- just run the coax at 90
degrees as far as you can from the center feed point OR consider using a
coax choke or balun.

Yeah, exactly what i was thinking of building...was just gonna string wire up a
tree...will probably have to run the coax parallell to the lower half of the
antenna though...wonder what effect that will have?? Thanks again for the
info..

73's de kb8viv
steve
Old January 8th 04, 07:15 PM
Jim Leder

Yep, had one here also. Works OK, but don't get it too high above ground. I
hung mine from a tree limb about 25 feet up at the top and tied it off to a
brick with some rope at the bottom. When 10 was open it worked quite a bit
of DX with 100 watts, but what doesn't on 10 when it's open :+)) .

Old January 8th 04, 08:08 PM
Desmoface

There are two ways to accomplish this.

1.) Simply run a length of coax directly up. Strip back the shield
to expose a quarterwave upper element and in the stripping back of the
shield, actually roll it back over the jacket below it to serve as the
lower element.

2.) Use a quarterwave length of tube as the lower half, run the coax
up its interior, connect the shield to it at the top of the tube, and
continue the inner coax up another quarterwave.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hi Richard, sounds like a good idea...thanks es 73's de kb8viv

steve
Old January 8th 04, 08:25 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On 08 Jan 2004 19:11:52 GMT, 2.) Use a quarterwave length of tube as the

lower half, run the coax
up its interior, connect the shield to it at the top of the tube, and
continue the inner coax up another quarterwave.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

This sounds like the simplest way. He could use an 8 foot piece of 1/2 in
Al tubing for the lower element.

I would put the thing as high as you can. For locals, you *want* a low
radiation angle.

Tam/WB2TT

Old January 8th 04, 08:25 PM
Desmoface

This looks like a good plan:
http://tinyurl.com/33lmv

Steve
kb8viv
Old January 8th 04, 09:18 PM
John Smith

"Desmoface" wrote in message
Hey kids..I know gap kind of does this..but anyone think a verticle dipole
would work...basically a vertical fed in the center...Im wanting a good 10
meter antenna for local stuff and was thinking about a conventional
vertical..than I thought maybe I could do without the radial system and

ground
loss issue but just putting up a vertical dipole for 10...any thoughts??

Steve
kb8viv

How about a J-Pole? Low angle radiation. The bottom end can be connected to
earth ground. In fact, I constructed one using a mast with the 1/4 wave
parallel section added 1/2 wave below the top. Real easy. No radials.

Just a thot.

John - KD5YI

Old January 8th 04, 09:39 PM
Desmoface

How about a J-Pole? Low angle radiation. The bottom end can be connected to
earth ground. In fact, I constructed one using a mast with the 1/4 wave
parallel section added 1/2 wave below the top. Real easy. No radials.

thats also an option..i wonder if'n I'll need radials with a vertical dipole??

Steve
kb8viv