Old January 13th 04, 12:58 PM
Eric Johnston

Default Ku band Dish - effect of distortion

If you have a 1m diameter dish, F/D=0.8.
Put string up/down and side/side and measure 5mm gap error in centre.
Distortion is that the sides are forward, and top and bottom are backwards
slightly.

What is the effect on gain at 14 GHz?
What is the effect on sidelobe patterns?
What if the string gap error varies from 1 to 10mm ?

Best regards, Eric.

Old January 13th 04, 03:28 PM
andrew

In article , Eric
Johnston writes
If you have a 1m diameter dish, F/D=0.8.
Put string up/down and side/side and measure 5mm gap error in centre.
Distortion is that the sides are forward, and top and bottom are backwards
slightly.

What is the effect on gain at 14 GHz?
What is the effect on sidelobe patterns?
What if the string gap error varies from 1 to 10mm ?

Eric,

I don't have the book on hand so can't I look it up, but I seem to
recall graphs of this in the ARRL Antenna Book (at least for the effect
on gain). It could be worth finding a copy as a graph would be easier
to make an approximation from than trying to work the formulas!

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
Homepage = http://www.gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk/

One of the ZL9CI gang
http://www.qsl.net/zl9ci/

Effect of whip diameter on resonant frequency Ron Antenna 0 September 12th 03 01:21 AM
Bricks effect in dipole resonance? Help! Roy Lewallen Antenna 14 August 25th 03 06:36 PM
skin effect Alfred Lorona Antenna 9 August 21st 03 09:09 PM
skin effect Alfred Lorona Antenna 0 August 13th 03 05:15 AM