Old January 21st 04, 01:29 AM
DOUGLAS SNOWDEN

Default 4 X 4 Post as a vertical Insulator support ???

I'd like to up up a fullsize 80 m vertical and support it in on 4X4
pressure treated posts and have it several inches
above ground level. Actually I was planning using using a couple of
sections of lightweight aluminum tower
with tubing out of the top for the added length. Is there
a problem using pressure treated lumber? Dry enough
to insulate well?

Doug, N4IJ

Old January 21st 04, 04:12 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

"DOUGLAS SNOWDEN" wrote in message
I'd like to up up a fullsize 80 m vertical and support it in on 4X4
pressure treated posts and have it several inches
above ground level. Actually I was planning using using a couple of
sections of lightweight aluminum tower
with tubing out of the top for the added length. Is there
a problem using pressure treated lumber? Dry enough
to insulate well?

Doug, N4IJ

Doug,

Pressure treated lumber is notoriously high in moisture content.
Also, it is heavily impregnated with chemicals which would, I
believe further increase its conductivity.

While it could make a good support, I would not count on the
wood alone as an insulator ...

I would recommend that you figure out a way to use some sort
of additional insulators.

73,
Carl - wk3c

Old January 24th 04, 07:47 PM
Jimmy

I would reccomend that you contact the manufacturer of the tower you are
ging to use and see if they make an insulated base for it.