Old August 23rd 03, 02:30 AM
H. Adam Stevens

Default HF Vertical design(s)

I have never had a vertical without RFI problems.
Quarter wave, half wave, ground or in the air. Until now.
But......
My BiggIR Fluidmotion vertical is on a 4000 foot metal fence and is about
200 feet from the shack (I live in the country).
So I'm not surprised the alarms don't go off.
I'm about to mount it on the 3500 sq ft Al roof and ground it well.
We shall see,
As far as inexpensive and effective on 20, build a resonant dipole and mount
it however you can.
As high as you can.
If you can go straight up, great.
Coaxial antennas come to mind as well.
You certainly can't beat simple wire antennas for cost-effectiveness.
73 es gud dx
H.
NQ5H

"Tom Coates" wrote in message
Given a choice between mounting the vertical on the ground with many

radials
and putting it 20 feet up with four radials, which has the lower radiation
angle? What are the other likely effects on performance - noise, RFI on

the
neighbors, etc.?

Tom, N3IJ

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
For 20 meters, all you need is a piece of wire or tubing that's about
16-1/2 feet high (adjust as necessary). I've done it with aluminum
tubing (you'll have to use aluminium, of course ), with a wire hung
vertically from a tree, and a wire spaced from a 2 X 4 inch or lighter
piece of lumber with TV twinlead standoff insulators. Shouldn't run over
£10 or so, and it will work every bit as well as, or better than, any
one you can buy -- on 20 meters. Feed directly with 50 ohm coax. If you
mount it at ground level, bury up to a dozen or so wires extending
radially outward from the antenna if possible. (I just stretch them
along the ground, "stapling" down where necessary with a short piece of
wire, and let the grass grow over them.) Make them as long as you can,
but there's no point in making them any longer than about 20 feet. If
you mount the antenna above ground, you can use fewer radials -- if the
base is 20 feet up, four will be plenty. If the radials are above
ground, you should make them pretty close to 16 - 1/2 feet long, and
adjust if necessary to get an adequately good match.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

MAS wrote:
Hi People,

I have been looking around at "off the shelf" HF vertical antennas and
because of the price I am now considering home building one myself.

The only HF antenna I have at the moment is a half size G5RV so there

is
room for change ;-)

I guess my main area of interest at the moment is 20m so the vertical
antenna would be mainly for that band.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any good home brew designs to

save
me re-inventing the wheel so to speak?

The antenna can be mounted anywhere from ground level to the top of a

20
ft
pole at the bottom of the garden. I will be running upto 100w into it

from
an FT-920 via it's built in ATU.

Cost is only an issue in as much I begrudge paying £300 + for an off

the
shelf unit so don't restrict your designs on that front..

I am a bit of a dab hand with the tools too but have no fancy antenna

tuning
devices, so any design will need to be almost resonant from the off if

you
see what I mean.

Here is hoping for some good proven designs.

M.

Old August 23rd 03, 03:07 AM
Roy Lewallen

Radiation angle is essentially the same for both. Mounting it higher
will make it more immune to losses from low, nearby objects. An elevated
one will also probably receive and deliver less interference -- provided
you keep the radials well away from, and not parallel to, mains,
telephone, and other wiring.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

HV Vertical ?? MAS Antenna 3 August 19th 03 06:21 AM
Poor vertical performance on metal sheet roof - comments? Kristinn Andersen Antenna 23 August 8th 03 11:08 PM
Hustler 6btv Vertical Tech Problem Craig Buck Antenna 0 July 23rd 03 04:26 AM
Omnidirectional (but vertical) loop? Albert P. Belle Isle Antenna 0 July 20th 03 06:00 PM
Hustler 6BTV Vertical - Tech Problem G.Beat Antenna 0 July 19th 03 10:08 PM