Old January 2nd 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 2-meter horizontal omni recommendation

Greetings,

I'm thinking I want to move off of the repeater scene and start getting
involved in 2-meter SSB. Around here, horizontal is the only way to go
with that.

I'd like to put an omni-directional 2-meter horizontally-polarized
antenna on top of the 10ft mast on my roof that is currently hosting my
GP3 (this will replace the GP3). Mainly, I don't want to mess with a
directional beam and a rotor.

Any recommendations as to a store-bought unit that might be well-suited
to this purpose?

Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

--
-=Elden=-
http://www.moondog.org

Old January 2nd 07, 07:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message 2007010118085916807-usenet@moondogorginvalid, Elden Fenison
writes
Greetings,

I'm thinking I want to move off of the repeater scene and start getting
involved in 2-meter SSB. Around here, horizontal is the only way to go
with that.

I'd like to put an omni-directional 2-meter horizontally-polarized
antenna on top of the 10ft mast on my roof that is currently hosting my
GP3 (this will replace the GP3). Mainly, I don't want to mess with a
directional beam and a rotor.

Any recommendations as to a store-bought unit that might be well-suited
to this purpose?

Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

Halos - http://www.m2inc.com/index2.html

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Old January 2nd 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The M^2 (M-Squared) Ho-Loop works nice and is simple, small and should
be rugged enough (I use mine for mobile use at 70 MPH down the highway).
I bought mine at AES.

http://www.aesham.com

Scott
N0EDV

Old January 2nd 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Scott
writes
The M^2 (M-Squared) Ho-Loop works nice and is simple, small and should
be rugged enough (I use mine for mobile use at 70 MPH down the
highway). I bought mine at AES.

http://www.aesham.com

The M^2 website claims "Horizontal polarity permits a single HO loop to
pick up 4+dB of ground gain that verticals can't."

Can someone explain this ? I wouldn't have thought polarisation would
make any difference.

I modelled a halo and a j-pole , both at 5m. I got 6.83dBi for the
halo at 6deg, and 6.65dBi for the j-pole at 4.5 deg. Am I missing
something ?

73 Brian GM4DIJ
--
Brian Howie
Old January 2nd 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:08:59 -0800, Elden Fenison wrote:

Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

Do a search for the Big Wheel. It is a three element loop style antenna
that looks a lot like a three-petal clover leaf. There is quite a bit of
information on the Web for them.

Another source for a more conventional horizontal omni is KB6KQ. I have
one of his 6m loops up and it has done well. It would benefit from being
higher, but that's my fault.

73, de Nate

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds,
the pessimist fears this is true."

Old January 3rd 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Elden Fenison wrote in

Greetings,

I'm thinking I want to move off of the repeater scene and start getting
involved in 2-meter SSB. Around here, horizontal is the only way to go
with that.

I'd like to put an omni-directional 2-meter horizontally-polarized
antenna on top of the 10ft mast on my roof that is currently hosting my
GP3 (this will replace the GP3). Mainly, I don't want to mess with a
directional beam and a rotor.

Any recommendations as to a store-bought unit that might be well-suited
to this purpose?

Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

What you need is a turnstile antenna. And you could mount it partway up
the mast and keep the vertical antenna, as far as that goes. I'm not
sure if any manufacturer makes these for 2m, and it's a bit of a chore.
Essentially you put up dipoles at right angles and feed them 90 degrees
out of phase (in phase quadrature). You get horizontal polarization at
the low angles and pretty much omni pattern. Polarization turns circular
overhead, though (not necessarily a drawback for space work).

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667
Old January 3rd 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Brian Howie" wrote in message
In message , Scott
writes
The M^2 (M-Squared) Ho-Loop works nice and is simple, small and should be
rugged enough (I use mine for mobile use at 70 MPH down the highway). I
bought mine at AES.

http://www.aesham.com

The M^2 website claims "Horizontal polarity permits a single HO loop to
pick up 4+dB of ground gain that verticals can't."

Can someone explain this ? I wouldn't have thought polarisation would
make any difference.

I modelled a halo and a j-pole , both at 5m. I got 6.83dBi for the halo
at 6deg, and 6.65dBi for the j-pole at 4.5 deg. Am I missing something ?

73 Brian GM4DIJ
--

Hi Brian,
The explaination has to do with ground reflection gain that a vertical

--
Dale W4OP
for PAR Electronics, Inc.

Old January 3rd 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message U9Pmh.8573$tc5.3912@trnddc01, Dale Parfitt
writes

[...]

My modelling shows similar ground gain, but it does assume the
reflection coefficients are the same for both senses of polarisation.
This could be it

Brian
--
Brian Howie
Old January 4th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 2007-01-03 01:15:21 -0800, Dave Oldridge
said:
What you need is a turnstile antenna. And you could mount it partway
up the mast and keep the vertical antenna, as far as that goes.

Just a general thank you to all who answered with suggestions.

--
-=Elden=-
http://www.moondog.org

Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
Updated Summer Schedule for Bible Voice Broadcasting Mike Terry Shortwave 0 May 20th 04 07:17 AM
Bible Voice Broadcasting A04 N8KDV Shortwave 0 March 19th 04 11:43 PM
Fwd: Bible Voice A04 Schedule RHF Shortwave 1 March 16th 04 11:50 AM
Fwd: Bible Voice A04 Schedule WA4009SWL Shortwave 0 March 16th 04 03:06 AM