Old January 22nd 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Yagi question

I'm sure it's not much of a performer, nelson. If you're using speaker
wire as your feeder, it's going to be horribly mismatched. Your trx
expects to see 50 ohm on the antenna, and (though I'm not certain) I'd
be willing to bet that your speaker wire is either much higher or much
lower. At best, this will give terrible performance. At worst,
potentially blow up the output stage of your rig.
RG58 is the coax you need. It's cheap, sometimes free. It's the same
stuff old 10base2 networks used to be wired with, so a visit to a dump
will probably turn up loads.

Old January 22nd 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

" I'm sure it's not much of a performer, nelson. If you're using speaker
wire as your feeder, it's going to be horribly mismatched. Your trx
expects to see 50 ohm on the antenna, and (though I'm not certain) I'd
be willing to bet that your speaker wire is either much higher or much
lower. At best, this will give terrible performance. At worst,
potentially blow up the output stage of your rig.
RG58 is the coax you need. It's cheap, sometimes free. It's the same
stuff old 10base2 networks used to be wired with, so a visit to a dump
will probably turn up loads.

He did say he was using coax, the speaker wire was just a ground, which
won't really be doing very much at vhf, so that is not the problem.

73
Jeff

Old January 22nd 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Nelson Blaha" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm looking to build a 2m yagi, but I haven't got any money. Can I
make one out of aluminum coat hangers? I also have a 4-foot section of
1" PVC pipe laying around, and glue, tools etc.

Nelson Blaha
Call-sign in the mail

Nelson, not about what you were asking but I have only know one other person
that had the Blaha name and he was Swiss. Are you?
Just Curious

Jimmie

Old January 22nd 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:12:59 -0800, Fred Ferely wrote:
There is a set of plans on the `net for one made of an old, broken
tape measure.

Mylar?
I guess it would work best with the plastic, shack-on-the-hip 'radios'.
HI!HI!

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm
Old January 23rd 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

My mother is way into the geneology stuff. Blaha is a very common name
in the Czech Republic. I'm glad to have an odd name, I don't know what
I'd do if I were a "Smith" or "Miller"!

"Nelson Blaha" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Old January 23rd 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Nelson Blaha wrote:
My mother is way into the geneology stuff. Blaha is a very common name
in the Czech Republic. I'm glad to have an odd name, I don't know what
I'd do if I were a "Smith" or "Miller"!

Hmmm, I wonder? ...

Regards,
John SMITH grin
Old January 23rd 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Actually, I'm sorry to say Jeff was right. For the sake of experiment
I had connected with speaker cable more than just the ground.
Basically, I connected speaker wires to the contacts on my mobile NMO
mount. The NMO mount had coax running back to the radio. I knew
transmitting like that was a pretty bad idea (illegal anyway), and that
I needed to get a proper wiring eventually, I just wanted to see if I
could observe the directional effects of my yagi.

Oddly, though, my Alinco DR-130 came with a CB MAGMOUNT when I bought
it as a kid used. It even survived my keying it attached to that
thing, and I don't think it has any protection against high SWRs. I've
always wondered how my radio survived that. Maybe it didn't... I'll
have to test it when my license comes. I only think it works now
because I tried it a while back on MURS frequencies with a radio shack
scanner.

Old January 23rd 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:50:28 -0800, John Smith I wrote:
Nelson Blaha wrote:
My mother is way into the geneology stuff. Blaha is a very common name
in the Czech Republic. I'm glad to have an odd name, I don't know what
I'd do if I were a "Smith" or "Miller"!

Hmmm, I wonder? ...

Regards,
John SMITH grin

I'll admit to using Trebetowski when making restaurant reservations.

Jonesy
Old January 24th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Yes, there is a way. Look up "Cheap Yagis" with your search engine. You
want WA5VJB's article published by the Clear Lake Amateur Radio Club in
Texas. Great plans. His antennas use eight inch copper tube, but I've known
people to make the antenna with welding rod, so substitutions are possible.

73 and good luck,

Bill Turner, W4WNT

Old January 24th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:37:49 -0500, W4WNT wrote:

His antennas use eight inch copper tube, but I've known .....

I'd like to see a 2M yagi made with 8" Cu pipe. :-)

Homemade 440 yagi question Bart Antenna 4 August 8th 06 12:23 PM
Yagi Stacking question DaveC Antenna 4 August 27th 05 10:43 PM
20m 5el Yagi Question: Gain vs Height Ken Bessler Antenna 3 July 14th 05 03:57 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] Antenna 0 April 25th 05 03:43 AM
Quad vs Yagi (or log) Thierry Antenna 23 February 18th 04 08:38 PM