Old January 21st 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Yagi question

I'm looking to build a 2m yagi, but I haven't got any money. Can I
make one out of aluminum coat hangers? I also have a 4-foot section of
1" PVC pipe laying around, and glue, tools etc.

Nelson Blaha
Call-sign in the mail

Old January 21st 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

How about a 7dB 2M Yagi for $7 -- less if you have some PVC and Welding Rods

See ARRL Article at URL:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/9304054.pdf

You may need to be an ARRL member to read it -- if so get a buddy who is an
ARRL Member to get it for you.

73 - CL

ups.com...

Old January 21st 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Had no problem viewing it, thanks! I'm still looking for ideas, though-
I think I'm turning out to be one of the "homebrew" hams. Would
clotheshangers even be able to handle the 50W of my radio? 5W?

On Jan 20, 9:23 pm, "Caveat Lector" wrote:
How about a 7dB 2M Yagi for $7 -- less if you have some PVC and Welding Rods

See ARRL Article at URL:http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/9304054.pdf

You may need to be an ARRL member to read it -- if so get a buddy who is an
ARRL Member to get it for you.

73 - CL

"Nelson Blaha" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Old January 21st 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Nelson Blaha wrote:

I'm looking to build a 2m yagi, but I haven't got any money. Can I
make one out of aluminum coat hangers? I also have a 4-foot section of
1" PVC pipe laying around, and glue, tools etc.

You can make one out of anything nearly. Coathangers will work fine,
but most
I see are steel, not aluminum. Aluminum would be better. Steel
coathangers
will work ok, but they rust real fast. Power is no problem. Unless
there is a
weak link with the matching device, a coathanger yagi should handle
several
hundred watts. The matching device will be the trickiest part to
construct
using hangar wire and PVC. Would almost be easiest to design the yagi
to have a 50 ohm feedpoint with spacing adjustments, and feed with a
normal split
driven element. I'd add a coax choke for decoupling the feedline.
MK

Old January 25th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
news
How about a 7dB 2M Yagi for $7 -- less if you have some PVC and Welding

Rods

See ARRL Article at URL:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/9304054.pdf

73 - CL

Interesting article. Where (what) is the matching device? I must have
missed it.

HankG

Old January 25th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

HankG wrote:
"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
news
How about a 7dB 2M Yagi for $7 -- less if you have some PVC and Welding

Rods

See ARRL Article at URL:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/9304054.pdf

73 - CL

Interesting article. Where (what) is the matching device? I must have
missed it.

HankG

Wire clamps on the ends of the driven element that allow you to adjust
the length of the D-E for minimum SWR. See Fig. 1 and page 2, bottom of
column one.

roups.com...

Old January 21st 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

There is a set of plans on the `net for one made of an old, broken
tape measure. The pieces of the tape measure are glued / screwed to a
length of PVC, and the Coax was soldered / screwed to the drive
elements.
If you have this stuff laying around, and you sound as you do, then
this would be a free-bee for you. My friend made a three element
version, and it worked surprisingly well with about 7 dB gain. With
the flat, razor thin but wide, flat elements, the pattern was very
direct. It looked a bit funny, but hey, the darn thing works like a
champ!

Old January 22nd 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:12:59 -0800, Fred Ferely wrote:
There is a set of plans on the `net for one made of an old, broken
tape measure.

Mylar?
I guess it would work best with the plastic, shack-on-the-hip 'radios'.
HI!HI!

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm
Old January 22nd 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Nelson Blaha wrote:
I'm looking to build a 2m yagi, but I haven't got any money. Can I
make one out of aluminum coat hangers? I also have a 4-foot section of
1" PVC pipe laying around, and glue, tools etc.

Nelson Blaha
Call-sign in the mail

Others presented good ideas. Ya know, an old TV antenna would make a decent
yagi for 2m, and with people going to cable/satellite TV, you could probably
find one for nothing or only a few dollars. Remove the elements you don't
need, cut the remaining elements down to length, do a little rewiring as
needed, connect your feedline, and you're good to go. If you want vertical
polarization, redrill the boom-to-mast mounting holes 90° from original.

I once did something similar with a 3 element 11m yagi... in about an hour
or so including tuneup time, I turned it into a gamma-matched 6 element 2m
yagi. I used my VSWR-protected 2m rig's output indicator to indicate proper
tuning by adjusting for maximum relative forward power.

Bryan WA7PRC

Old January 22nd 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Bryan" wrote in message
Nelson Blaha wrote:
[...]

When we got cable in the neighborhood my wife was threateing divorce over
all the TV antennas I would pick up off the curb during trash day.

Jimmie

Homemade 440 yagi question Bart Antenna 4 August 8th 06 12:23 PM
Yagi Stacking question DaveC Antenna 4 August 27th 05 10:43 PM
20m 5el Yagi Question: Gain vs Height Ken Bessler Antenna 3 July 14th 05 03:57 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] Antenna 0 April 25th 05 03:43 AM
Quad vs Yagi (or log) Thierry Antenna 23 February 18th 04 08:38 PM