Old February 17th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna Modeling Software

I suppose any good modeling program would work for amateur antennas.
What I would appreciate is a good as to which one you like and why.
Recommend the one you like best to me. I am willing to spend up to $150
for good modeling software. Easy to understand and use would be important.

Its my understanding that the author of EZNEC hangs out in this group, I
wish he would put his 2 cents in also.

Try NEC-Win Plus at $150. www.nittany-scientific.com

Frank

Old February 17th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 15 feb, 16:07, "Black Sheep"
wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:00:46 -0800, Wimpie wrote:
On 14 feb, 07:20, "Black Sheep"
wrote:
I am looking to purchase some antenna modeling software.
Can anyone make a suggestion as to which one they think is the best,
easiest to use and best value for the money.

Hello Black Sheep,

Can you provide us with some information about your antenna
challenges? It will make us easier to answer your question.

I am thinking of antenna types (wire antennas, printed circuit board
antennas, with / without dielectric materials, size with respect to
wavelength, etc), how frequently will you us it, available budget, is
it for professional or amateur use, etc.

Best Regards,

Wim
PA3DJS

My needs are for amateur antennas, wires, verticals, yagis & etc.
Just want to model antennas which I have ideas about or those which are
already built and what might happen if it were modified to another
configuration.

I guess if price were a consideration no more than $150.

Hello Black Sheep,

There is a program called "WireGrid for windows", it is from the
company that also makes the (expensive) FEKO package (South African,
EMSS). It was for some time on their server for free (but without any
warranty and support). It is no longer on their server (I checked
it). If you like, I can mail it to you (3900kB).

Wiregrid is a NEC pre- and post processor (with NEC2 files included),
with a very reasonable interface with instant 3D structure view. You
can enter wires and polygons that can be meshed automatically with
predetermined wire diameter and grid size.

I like this program because you can enter polygons (for example for
generating a finite ground plane) and the 3D viewer is really good.

Best Regards,

Wim
PA3DJS

Old February 19th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Frank's wrote:
. . .
Its my understanding that the author of EZNEC hangs out in this group, I
wish he would put his 2 cents in also.

Sorry, I've been otherwise occupied lately.

Also, I don't generally comment in threads asking for software
recommendations except occasionally to answer a factual question or
correct the rare factually false statement, because the poster wants and
should get unbiased opinions from users rather than the invariably
biased opinions from developers and sellers.

As you can see from the responses, there are many choices, each with
advantages and disadvantages, and the same choice isn't best for
everyone. The only comment I'll make about EZNEC here is that anyone who
does purchase it and isn't completely satisfied will get a prompt and
full refund.

I do, however, believe very strongly in the power of computer modeling
in general, and will readily recommend that anyone interested in
learning more about antennas get some sort of modeling program.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Loop Antennas / minijack works-clips don't / impedence?? [email protected] Shortwave 14 August 23rd 06 04:07 AM
Bose Wave Radio - What's Your Opinion ? David Shortwave 16 June 12th 06 07:48 AM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
Anyone with Antenna Modeling software do me a favor R. Scott Antenna 5 March 9th 04 05:05 PM