Old March 29th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Default MFJ - Mighty Fine Junk or good stuff

I havent purchased any MFJ stuff for years now.
Last time I purchased something I was not really happy with the
quality. Can anyone tell me if they have upgraded or is the stuff
still Mighty Fine Junk!

I've owned a variety of several products over the years.... I can't
really fault any of them, considering the price for what you get. I'll
still keep buying from them...

Ed K7AAT
Old March 29th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Owen Duffy" wrote in message
Stanislav_Luniev wrote in
news:Yr6dnd0r9NjEoJTbnZ2dnUVZ_obinZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

I havent purchased any MFJ stuff for years now.
Last time I purchased something I was not really happy with the
quality. Can anyone tell me if they have upgraded or is the stuff
still Mighty Fine Junk!

Do you mean:

Do they still use thermoplastics for coil supports and roller inductors
so that the components are damaged if they get hot?

Do they still leave loose bits of solder, wire, nuts etc inside completed
euipment?

Do all their instruments that claim to indicate PEP power actually work
on SSB telephony?

Do the meters on MFJ antenna analysers still fall into the case if you
make the mistake of gripping the analyser with thumb pressure on the
meter?

Do they still use hard-to-get incandescent lamps to light meter
movements?

Do they take a month to respond to spare part enquiries, and then make a
partial response that is of no use?

Do they still use plated steel parts that don't withstand weather for
more than a year or two on their antennas?

Do they still ship linear amplifiers with a circuit diagram that is so
shabby, it defies unambiguous interpretation?

Are they still buying up other manufacturers to apply their "quality" to
the whole market?

The issue I see is that they seem to use small established companies to do
some of their engineering for them- and then copying the product.
RigRunner, Rigblaster and now the W2IHY (?) equalizer come to mind. I am
sure there are others.

Dale W4OP

F.S. More Good Stuff Brian Hill Boatanchors 1 October 31st 08 07:20 PM
FS- Good stuff!! Brian Hill Boatanchors 1 February 9th 06 03:59 PM
FS- Good Stuff! Brian Hill Swap 0 February 9th 06 03:58 PM
F.S. More good stuff. Brian Hill Swap 0 February 16th 05 05:22 PM
Good Stuff to Trade Dave Equipment 2 February 29th 04 03:39 AM