Old April 11th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.misc

Default RF/antennas hands-on book

I need to brush up my RF and antenna knowledge, which is always something
that I've almost but not quite understood. I've got a few books on the
subject (two by Kraus, Electromagnetics and Antennas, and another on RFIC
design) but they're often dry academic tomes and it's hard to get a feel for
the subject. I'd really like something along the lines of The Art of
Electronics for RF. The AofE has a high-frequency chapter but it's a bit
too brief (though I ought to go and reread it, it's been a while).

Any recommendations for hands-on books that are relatively easy to read, to
give an idea of practicalities as well as theory?

Thanks
Theo
Old April 11th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.misc

Theo Markettos wrote:
I need to brush up my RF and antenna knowledge, which is always something
that I've almost but not quite understood. I've got a few books on the
subject (two by Kraus, Electromagnetics and Antennas, and another on RFIC
design) but they're often dry academic tomes and it's hard to get a feel for
the subject. I'd really like something along the lines of The Art of
Electronics for RF. The AofE has a high-frequency chapter but it's a bit
too brief (though I ought to go and reread it, it's been a while).

Any recommendations for hands-on books that are relatively easy to read, to
give an idea of practicalities as well as theory?

The ARRL Antenna Book.

Among texts, King, Mimno, and Wing's _Transmission Lines, Antennas, and
Wave Guides_ is one I find particularly clearly written. The Dover
paperback edition (1965) can usually be found at a reasonable price.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old April 11th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.misc

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
[...]

Amateur radio, perhaps? In the UK look for publications by the Radio
Society of Great Britain; or possibly some libraries and bookstores have
the ARRL Handbooks.

Bill

Old April 12th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.misc

Theo Markettos wrote:
I need to brush up my RF and antenna knowledge, which is always something
that I've almost but not quite understood. I've got a few books on the
subject (two by Kraus, Electromagnetics and Antennas, and another on RFIC
design) but they're often dry academic tomes and it's hard to get a feel for
the subject. I'd really like something along the lines of The Art of
Electronics for RF. The AofE has a high-frequency chapter but it's a bit
too brief (though I ought to go and reread it, it's been a while).

Any recommendations for hands-on books that are relatively easy to read, to
give an idea of practicalities as well as theory?

Thanks
Theo

On this, I have to admit, The ARRL Antenna Book is well done ... also,
past editions of the ARRL handbooks can be had for a song in used book
stores ... antenna design in amateur circles is rather stagnant, old
literature can still be utilized.

Regards,
JS
Old April 12th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.misc

Theo Markettos wrote:
I need to brush up my RF and antenna knowledge, which is always something
that I've almost but not quite understood. I've got a few books on the
subject (two by Kraus, Electromagnetics and Antennas, and another on RFIC
design) but they're often dry academic tomes and it's hard to get a feel
for
the subject. I'd really like something along the lines of The Art of
Electronics for RF. The AofE has a high-frequency chapter but it's a bit
too brief (though I ought to go and reread it, it's been a while).

Any recommendations for hands-on books that are relatively easy to read,
give an idea of practicalities as well as theory?

Thanks
Theo

Take alook at Bill Orr's books The W6SAI Hf Antenna Handbook (Paperback)
Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/W6Sai-Hf-Anten...387485&sr=1-20

Also on line is the Navy Training series
http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14.../14182_167.htm

On the upper right - click on NEXT to continue reading page by page.

Good Radiating
Lamont

Old April 16th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.misc

Bill Shymanski wrote:
Amateur radio, perhaps? In the UK look for publications by the Radio
Society of Great Britain; or possibly some libraries and bookstores have
the ARRL Handbooks.

Hmm... good idea. The university library only has ARRL and RSGB handbooks
(which I think is things like current bands, callsigns etc) but I'll see if
I can find some amateur radio books. A big stack of 1970s magazines looks
to be coming my way too

Thanks for the suggestions!
Theo
Old April 16th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.misc

http://www.pmillett.com/technical_books_online.htm
Old April 19th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.misc
art art is offline

On 11 Apr, 15:40, Theo Markettos
wrote:
I need to brush up my RF and antenna knowledge, which is always something
that I've almost but not quite understood. I've got a few books on the
subject (two by Kraus, Electromagnetics and Antennas, and another on RFIC
design) but they're often dry academic tomes and it's hard to get a feel for
the subject. I'd really like something along the lines of The Art of
Electronics for RF. The AofE has a high-frequency chapter but it's a bit
too brief (though I ought to go and reread it, it's been a while).

Any recommendations for hands-on books that are relatively easy to read, to
give an idea of practicalities as well as theory?

Thanks
Theo

Theo
On the thread "why" I have mentioned a reference to electromagnetics
and antennas,
you might want to check it out via google.
Art

Old April 19th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.misc
art art is offline

wrote:

[...]

Oooops, I meant to state the Gaussian static law thread.
Art

Old April 19th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.misc

Kevin G. Rhoads wrote:
http://www.pmillett.com/technical_books_online.htm

Oooh... lots to keep me occupied there. Thanks

Theo