Old April 30th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Scanned Antennas book by Kraus

There is a scanned copy of a book you may find interesting:

----
Antennas, John D. Kraus, Ph.D.., 1950, 553 pages

This book is a college text and engineering reference on antennas. A
pretty thorough theoretical treatment along with practical information
on antenna design.
-----

See

http://www.pmillett.com/Books/Kraus_antennas.pdf (7.9 MB)

More books at

http://www.pmillett.com/technical_books_online.htm

Apparently the copyright has expired on these books, so they are not
pirated. I actually own a copy of the Kraus book, but it is attractive
to have a copy on my laptop.

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database
Old April 30th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

On 29 Apr, 16:01, "Dave (from the UK)" see-my-signat...@southminster-
branch-line.org.uk wrote:
[...]

I suspect that could happen if the book was out of print or a new
edition was being offered.
Art

Old April 30th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave (from the UK) wrote:
http://www.pmillett.com/Books/Kraus_antennas.pdf (7.9 MB)

This is great, Dave. Everyone who wants to see the standing
wave phase shift up and down a 1/2WL antenna can look at
page 239. Kraus shows a ~3 degree phase shift all up and
down the antenna. EZNEC shows the same thing. Now how did
Roy use this current to determine the phase shift through
a loading coil if it cannot be used to determine the phase
shift through a wire?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 30th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Dave (from the UK) wrote:
http://www.pmillett.com/Books/Kraus_antennas.pdf (7.9 MB)

This is great, Dave. Everyone who wants to see the standing
wave phase shift up and down a 1/2WL antenna can look at
page 239. Kraus shows a ~3 degree phase shift all up and
down the antenna. EZNEC shows the same thing. Now how did
Roy use this current to determine the phase shift through
a loading coil if it cannot be used to determine the phase
shift through a wire?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

A real shame you cant copy and paste text from a pdf file.

Jimmie

Old April 30th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"Jimmie D" wrote:

A real shame you cant copy and paste text from a pdf file.

I don't know whether you can do this on a Windows computer, but I have
been copying text, as well as pictures, from PDF files with my Macs for
about as long as there have been PDF files. But to copy text, there has
to *BE* text. The Kraus book PDF file, which I have just downloaded,
consists of 568 pages of (scanned) pictures.

One can select, as a picture, any portion (or all) of any one page, copy
it, and paste it into a document in a graphics program. I just did this
with one page of the Kraus "Antennas" book. Such files can be pretty big
-- one page produced a 16.2 MB TIFF file which is more than twice as
large as the entire PDF file for the Kraus "Antennas" book -- but quite
compressible (I compressed that page, losslessly, to 173 kB).

In retirement, for fun and profit, I've been doing pre-publication
debugging (for publishers) of math texts written by others. When I
receive manuscripts, these are usually sent as PDF files from scans of
the actual paper pages produced by the authors. (Paper is used since
often scanners, scissors, and Scotch tape are used to produce some of
the material in Edition (N + 1) from pages from Edition N.) As such, the
files are enormous (thank goodness for a DSL Internet connection) and
not searchable -- there's not a single word in such a file, just a
succession of pictures, one page at a time. Later in the editing and
revision process, I receive PDF files made from TeX files produced by
the typesetters which, except for errors needing to be corrected, are
ready to print. These files, much smaller than the scanned manuscript
files, are searchable, and I can find a word in a few seconds -- much
nicer than eyeballing my way through hundreds of sheets of paper, which
is the way I did it in the old days ten years ago. At this stage of the
game, I can copy and paste text, and I do a lot of that to construct my
reports which get sent back to the authors and editors. Needless to say,
the reports get sent as PDF files, and the nice thing is that Mac- or
UNIX-using authors, Mac users at the typesetting plant, and
Windows-using people at the publishing company, can all read my files
without any problems.

David, ex-W8EZE

--
David Ryeburn

To send e-mail, use "ca" instead of "caz".

Old April 30th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

David Ryeburn wrote:

In retirement, for fun and profit, I've been doing pre-publication
debugging (for publishers) of math texts written by others. When I
receive manuscripts, these are usually sent as PDF files from scans of
the actual paper pages produced by the authors.

They could well be like that to stop one reproducing them easily.

Old April 30th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jimmie D wrote:
A real shame you cant copy and paste text from a pdf file.

Will the full-featured Adobe Acrobat do that?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 30th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
t...
Jimmie D wrote:
A real shame you cant copy and paste text from a pdf file.

Will the full-featured Adobe Acrobat do that?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

You can copy and paste TEXT from the pdf file. As mentioned the Kraus book
is scanned in the gif fromat and the text you are seeing is actual an image.
To get part of the text out of the gif that is in the pdf file , you have to
treat it as a picture and use the snapshot tool and cut out what you want to
paste into another documment.
What you have done is move part of an image file and not part of a text
file.

Atleast that is how it works with the Adobe Reader 7 and MS word.

Old April 30th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave (from the UK) wrote:
http://www.pmillett.com/Books/Kraus_antennas.pdf (7.9 MB)

This is great, Dave. Everyone who wants to see the standing
wave phase shift up and down a 1/2WL antenna can look at
page 239. Kraus shows a ~3 degree phase shift all up and
down the antenna. EZNEC shows the same thing. Now how did
Roy use this current to determine the phase shift through
a loading coil if it cannot be used to determine the phase
shift through a wire?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

A real shame you cant copy and paste text from a pdf file.

Jimmie

You can, but in the case where a book is scanned the pages are handled
as graphics and not text. To do so all pages would have to be
processed using OCR software after scanning which is a major pain and
very time consuming.

Danny, K6MHE

Old May 3rd 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Danny Richardson wrote:

You can, but in the case where a book is scanned the pages are handled
as graphics and not text. To do so all pages would have to be
processed using OCR software after scanning which is a major pain and
very time consuming.

Danny, K6MHE

I used the OCR software in Adobe Acrobat (version 8 came on my laptop).
Of all the free programs that came on my laptop, that is by far the most
useful one. Many are not worth the disk space they take up.

Acrobat 8 did a pretty good job of the OCR. It increased the file size
dramatically from about 8 to 17 MB, but it seems to have converted it to
text OK. A search on "maxwell" showed 20 references and each line of
text the search found looked fine, with no misspellings.

You can download a free 30 day trial of Acrobat 8 (I use the standard,
not pro version). Give it a try - I think you will be impressed.