Old May 4th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Base insulator

Anyone know of a good way to build a base insulator for a Rohn 25G tower. We
were talking about putting up a guyed tower as a 1/2 lambda radiator on 40m.
We were thinking of connecting the base and rest of the toer together with
some fiberglass dowels. Also considered was making a mounting plate out of a
3 inch stack of polycarbonate sheets. Rotate the tower so it is offset from
the base and bolt the poly carbonate to the tower and base from opposite
sides. One od the guys thinks he can get some cermanic insulators made for
this but if that doesnt happen any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old May 4th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jimmie D wrote:
Anyone know of a good way to build a base insulator for a Rohn 25G tower.

Rohn manufactures an insulating section.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old May 4th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Good day Cecil,

I helped a fellow at one time that used a material named "Glastic" solid
rod to insert at the base of the tower between section divides. He had
used a partial section of tower to place in the ground instead of the
other methods commonly used to mount the tower.

You can review the specs at http://www.glastic.com/

Regards,
Paul

Old May 4th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

kc1xx http://xxtowers.com/ sells parts they use for insulating broadcast
towers for rohn-25 that is much cheaper than the rohn section. His setup
includes 2 plates that go on the top and bottom of the sections and a
porcelain insulator that bolts between them. I've got 4 of them sitting in
the shed waiting to go in the new 80m 4-square later this summer, they sure
look plenty hefty for the job!

Old May 4th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jimmie D wrote:
Anyone know of a good way to build a base insulator for a Rohn 25G
tower.

Rohn manufactures an insulating section.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Gives me an idea, one of the guys has some big pocelan stand off used in
building substations. Three of these on a metal plate might work.