Old May 9th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Default 20 dB gain on 20 meters?!?

On 8 May, 11:32, wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2007 17:53:49 GMT,
wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2007 16:47:56 GMT, "R. Scott"
wrote:

"John, N9JG" wrote in message
s.net...
Yes, he spent a few bucks on this project!

http://www.1982crew.com/PHP-Nuke/PDF/K9LTN.pdf

my question is Why ?

1500W * 100 (20db gain)= 20,000W ERP

Gak! typo....

1500W * 100 (20db gain)= 150,000W ERP not allowing for feed line loss
and I saw heliax there so it should be low. Even if it's off by 3db
75,000 is a huge number.

Allison

With that you can work backscatter and really weak signals that would
be missed with lesser antenna. Propagation is not a switch it's
more like sahes of gray from nne at all to weak.

I mean he has the ability to do it obviously, and the technical to do it
yes. But Why. Is it that much more over a standard 4 elem steppir
at say 70 FT. It wont open propagation that isn't there ?

Yes, much more and with narrow beamwidth other noises are less an
issue.

People have ben doing this for years at VHF/UHF and those that do
are heard, seriously heard.

Must have cost a mint..

Allison- Hide quoted text -

Old May 9th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

On 8 May, 11:32, wrote:

wrote:

"John, N9JG" wrote in message
[...]

The gentleman spent a lot of money to get what HE wanted, the question
is what does a radio ham want. This net puts their desires on gain but
gain alone is not how one normally views an antenna for ones needs.
Antenna books talk of compromise between attributes of an antenna
which is an excellent platform for arguments since certain attributes
are required for some but not considered worth while for others. So
what can this anternna do? First I would say it would do a wonderful
job of carrying news from overseas troops to their families that
Goldwater did, a difficult task that was so worthwhile but necessarily
costs a lot of money. Via antenna switching the operator can stay in
contact with a particular area longer than most antennas. Unlike my
personal experiences with a long boom antenna his tower can zero in on
a station with a narrow bandwidth with out concern to environmental
conditions. I noticed in the photographs that one of the people was in
a wheel chair so he can be considered as being confined somewhat. If
that person was a member of the family who would use this antenna set
up how much cost would be considered as the right amount to give a
child the best there is? My point is that as amateurs the antenna
gives us all so much personal delight but only as a means of
conversations that we enjoy .And such people have an assortment of
antennas of different shapes and sizes
that makes them equal to the antenna of the person thay are taking a
delight in talking to. True such persons can be a holder of an antenna
in a far off distant land and could be considered a large catch
whereas others would hope for a wide beam antenna to encompass users
of a particular net or an antenna that would allow him to cruise
around a wide band without constant re adjustment of a matching
system.
I have found that not one antenna is in existance that will satisfy
all or one antenna that could survive critisism from those who wish to
be heard. What is important to hams is the extent of knoweledge that
can be garnered from the experiences of those who deign to venture
from the normal path. Who provides both good and bad details about his
experiences so that all can build on the particulars that could well
work for him rather than criticise those
who get their enjoyment fiddling with antennas on either small or
major scales. The man has built a huge antenna and probably at a huge
expence but I would suggest that this venture will supply a lot of
information about antennas that prior to this time the majority was
not privy to. The man did what he wanted to do to further his interest
in the hobby and even the lowliest of wire antennas will get the
chance to contact the individual regardless of his circumstances for
an enjoyable chat. Isn't that what ham radio is all about?
Art
is not what the general ham wants