Old May 8th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 20 dB gain on 20 meters?!?

Yes, he spent a few bucks on this project!

http://www.1982crew.com/PHP-Nuke/PDF/K9LTN.pdf

Old May 8th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John, N9JG" wrote in message
. net...
Yes, he spent a few bucks on this project!

http://www.1982crew.com/PHP-Nuke/PDF/K9LTN.pdf

my question is Why ?

I mean he has the ability to do it obviously, and the technical to do it
yes. But Why. Is it that much more over
a standard 4 elem steppir at say 70 FT. It wont open propagation that
isn't there ?

Just seems a waste to me

Scotty W7PSK

Old May 8th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John, N9JG" wrote in message
. net...
You have raised an interesting question - When do you reach the point of
diminishing returns?

"R. Scott" wrote in message
"John, N9JG" wrote in message
. net...
Yes, he spent a few bucks on this project!

http://www.1982crew.com/PHP-Nuke/PDF/K9LTN.pdf

my question is Why ?

I mean he has the ability to do it obviously, and the technical to do it
yes. But Why. Is it that much more over
a standard 4 elem steppir at say 70 FT. It wont open propagation that
isn't there ?

Just seems a waste to me

Scotty W7PSK

Im glad somebody tried it. Now If we can get the results we will know
whether or not it is worth anyone else doing it.

Jimmie

Old May 8th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , R. Scott
writes
"John, N9JG" wrote in message
.net...
Yes, he spent a few bucks on this project!

http://www.1982crew.com/PHP-Nuke/PDF/K9LTN.pdf

my question is Why ?

I mean he has the ability to do it obviously, and the technical to do it
yes. But Why. Is it that much more over
a standard 4 elem steppir at say 70 FT. It wont open propagation that
isn't there ?

Just seems a waste to me

Scotty W7PSK

You don't need 'propagation' with an antenna like that. It produces its
own ionization in the ionosphere.
Ian.

Old May 8th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"R. Scott" wrote in message
"John, N9JG" wrote in message
. net...
Yes, he spent a few bucks on this project!

http://www.1982crew.com/PHP-Nuke/PDF/K9LTN.pdf

my question is Why ?

I mean he has the ability to do it obviously, and the technical to do it
yes. But Why. Is it that much more over
a standard 4 elem steppir at say 70 FT. It wont open propagation that
isn't there ?

Just seems a waste to me

Scotty W7PSK

"Waste" like difference between magnifying glass and a microscope.

You would not say that if you had a chance to be behind one of those.

Antennas like that make their own propagation, when rest of the 3 - 4 el.
slobs can't hear a thing, the real antennas like that can still do so for
another hour or two, or just do it anytime.
I had "just" couple of my stacked Razors and that extended my propagation
over mortal Yagi variety by hour or two. I figured I had about 14 - 16 dBd
on 15m from stacked 7 el. log Razors http://www.k3bu.us/razor_beams.htm

If K9LTN had 6 Razors that would be a notch higher killer antenna.

Old May 9th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Well, if i am not mistaken, in order to gain another 3 db, he would
have to setup another similar array. That would be twelve stepirs.
Then for another 3 db, he would have to add yet another twelve
stepirs.

The second three steppirs only gained him 3 db over the first three
and the second steppir only gained him 3 db over the first one.

so, what does that three db mean?

Buck, N4PGW

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."
Old May 9th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Buck" wrote in message
Well, if i am not mistaken, in order to gain another 3 db, he would
have to setup another similar array. That would be twelve stepirs.
Then for another 3 db, he would have to add yet another twelve
stepirs.

The second three steppirs only gained him 3 db over the first three
and the second steppir only gained him 3 db over the first one.

so, what does that three db mean?

Buck, N4PGW

Yeah, I especially question the practicality of going from 4 antennas to 6.
It picked him up less than 2 db, but doubled the physical size of the
array - same width, twice as high.

Tam/WB2TT

Old May 9th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

You have raised an interesting question - When do you reach the point of
diminishing returns?

Three Db equals a doubling of power or halving of power depending on
which way you are going.

Dave WD9BDZ
Old May 9th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

You have raised an interesting question - When do you reach the point of
diminishing returns?

Three Db equals a doubling of power or halving of power depending on which
way you are going.

Dave WD9BDZ

If I looked at his numbers right, his vertical stacking is way too close
(1/2 wave), and he won't get 3 DB. OTOH, he got himself a super 6 m antenna.
Possibly enough for moonbounce.

Tam/WB2TT