Old May 10th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Like radio, how to make TV to receive all channels?

It's my long time wish to view TV channels of all countries. I'm
wondering why it isn't possible with TV but which is possible in
radio.

Is there any advanced antenna or technology for that? Now, I'm getting
know about "Dish TV", but it is still in pay option.

(With the possibility to access the net, I'd thought I could find the
answer. But, I couldn't find any with my googling skill)

TIA

--
?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Old May 10th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
It's my long time wish to view TV channels of all countries. I'm
wondering why it isn't possible with TV but which is possible in
radio.

No. TV signals are mostly line of sight. So are satellite signals.

Look up www.lyngsat.com for information about what satellites you
can "see" from your location. Then there is the issue of proper
antennas, receivers, decoders and for encrypted signals, decryption
keys (usually paid for if available at all).

There is also the issue of PAL and SECAM signals versus NTSC.
Multisystem TV sets are common, but not in the U.S.

Where exactly are you?

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old May 10th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah" wrote in message
ups.com...
It's my long time wish to view TV channels of all countries. I'm
wondering why it isn't possible with TV but which is possible in
radio.

Is there any advanced antenna or technology for that? Now, I'm getting
know about "Dish TV", but it is still in pay option.

(With the possibility to access the net, I'd thought I could find the
answer. But, I couldn't find any with my googling skill)

TIA

--
?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Try this link.

http://mediahopper.com/portal.htm

Works for me.

HankG

Old May 10th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"HankG" wrote in message
. ..

"R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah" wrote in message
ups.com...
It's my long time wish to view TV channels of all countries. I'm
wondering why it isn't possible with TV but which is possible in
radio.

Is there any advanced antenna or technology for that? Now, I'm getting
know about "Dish TV", but it is still in pay option.

(With the possibility to access the net, I'd thought I could find the
answer. But, I couldn't find any with my googling skill)

TIA

--
?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Try this link.

http://mediahopper.com/portal.htm

Works for me.

HankG

Also this link
Click here to watch 2300+ TV Channels
Lamont

Old May 11th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 10, 7:39 pm, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
R.RajeshJebaAnbiahwrote:

It's my long time wish to view TV channels of all countries. I'm
wondering why it isn't possible with TV but which is possible in
radio.

No. TV signals are mostly line of sight. So are satellite signals.

Look upwww.lyngsat.comfor information about what satellites you
can "see" from your location. Then there is the issue of proper
antennas, receivers, decoders and for encrypted signals, decryption
keys (usually paid for if available at all).

There is also the issue of PAL and SECAM signals versus NTSC.
Multisystem TV sets are common, but not in the U.S.

Where exactly are you?

Many thanks for everyone who replied in this thread. I'm in
Chennai, South India. When I was young, I have seen TV channel of Sri
Lanka using the antenna http://www.ccrane.com/images/medium/winegard-
outdoor-tv-antenna.jpg; currently this antenna is no more used here.
Everyone opted for Dish antenna which is operated by some local guys
(it's a connection with rent). Nowadays, we're getting another pay
based (where dish will be given to each person) for the digital
channels. Again the price and subscription is too high.

I'm still wondering why can't I use previous antenna but with
powerful boosters?

Old May 11th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:

I'm still wondering why can't I use previous antenna but with
powerful boosters?

--
?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

I "think" what you are asking is, "How can I get the "feeds" (direct
transmissions from the TV stations on their respective VHF/UHF
frequencies) to the satellites directly at my location?"

In that case, if the transmitting antennas are within your receiving
range, you can.

You need to investigate where their transmitters (antennas) are located
first, then decide if a suitable antenna/amplifer can be obtained and
installed at your location.

Regards,
JS
Old May 11th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11 May 2007 07:50:54 -0700, "R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah"
wrote:

I'm still wondering why can't I use previous antenna but with
powerful boosters?

Hi Rajesh,

Your link didn't work, but knowing the company, I would guess the
antenna is what is called a fringe antenna. Fringe meaning long
distance. However, from your home in Chennai to the closest point in
Sri Lanka is going at least 250 miles and that would test ANY fringe
antenna to the MAX!

Plus, there have to be transmitters there for the antenna to receive.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 11th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Rajesh wrote:
"It`s my long time wish to view TV channels of all countries."

For simplicity, gain, and bandwidth, a rhombic is hard to beat.
Risadvantage is size and it is hard to rotate.

Once upon a time, an Australian asked how he coild receive a far away TV
station, and I gave him the details of a rhombic in Arnold B. Bailey`s
"TV and Other Receiving Antennas". The Aussie built it and reported back
that now his screen was illuminated with pictures from the distant
station. Eureka!

Description is: "Four straight horizontal conductors (sides) forming a
diamond. Size at 200 MHz: Two #10 wires each 26 feet long, separated 18
feet at midpoint, overall length 31 feet. Transmission line: 300 ohms
balanced but slightly mismatched (twinlead). Resistance at 200 MHz: 600
ohms. Antenna Zo: 600 ohms (redundant specification it appears).
Termination resistor at distant station end of antenna: 600 ohms. Gain
at 200 MHz: 14.5 dB (or less). Bandwidth at 1 dB down 30%.

Height is not specified, but for TV, usually higher is better.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI