Old June 9th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default HP 8640B External Freq. Doubler?

Scott wrote:
I think I might have found a modern alternative...a very small surface
mount device that looks like it will do exactly what the HP doubler does
AND only $5.95 in SINGLE quantities (The AMK-2-13+)!!

Not "exactly".

Guaranteed F1 in the output is only -20
dBc. Not nearly as good as a DBM.

Chuck

Old June 10th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Chuck wrote:

Scott wrote:
I think I might have found a modern alternative...a very small surface
mount device that looks like it will do exactly what the HP doubler does
AND only $5.95 in SINGLE quantities (The AMK-2-13+)!!

Not "exactly".

Guaranteed F1 in the output is only -20
dBc. Not nearly as good as a DBM.

Scott-

I've read past postings that discussed Minicircuits.com and the 8640B
doubler. Why not contact them and ask if they have a better
alternative? They may be familiar with the 8640B, and have addressed
the question before.

Regarding Jeff's comment, I was of the impression that the signal was
generated at a high level prior to the attenuator, and attenuator
settings were correct for the 512-1024 band as well as the others.
Since your "8640B in a can" has the 512-1024 switch position, it should
be possible to install a home-made doubler in the same space where the
HP doubler would go, prior to the attenuator.

Fred
K4DII
Old June 10th 07, 09:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Regarding Jeff's comment, I was of the impression that the signal was
generated at a high level prior to the attenuator, and attenuator
settings were correct for the 512-1024 band as well as the others.
Since your "8640B in a can" has the 512-1024 switch position, it should
be possible to install a home-made doubler in the same space where the
HP doubler would go, prior to the attenuator.

Fred
K4DII

The doubler is an external device that screws onto the front panel output
socket, there is no provision for putting it internally prior to the
attenuator. The 512-1024 switch position merely changes the displayed
frequency.

Jeff

Old June 10th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"Jeff" wrote:

The doubler is an external device that screws onto the front panel output
socket, there is no provision for putting it internally prior to the
attenuator. The 512-1024 switch position merely changes the displayed
frequency.

Jeff-

I understand about the HP 11690A Scott mentioned. Are you saying that
it is not possible to retrofit an 8640B with the internal doubler, or
just not possible with the military version Scott has?

I have two 8640Bs. One has the doubler option, the other doesn't. I
would like to upgrade the second one if possible.

Fred
K4DII