Old June 17th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Turnstile question

I'm building a turnstile in the 1GHz range. The length of the coax
for the 90* phasing loop is too short to work with easily. Would I
get the same results using a phasing loop 270* in length?

Ralph
Old June 17th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
I'm building a turnstile in the 1GHz range. The length of the coax
for the 90* phasing loop is too short to work with easily. Would I
get the same results using a phasing loop 270* in length?

Ralph

Yes, I am curious, what are you using to verify that your harness has the
proper delay. At these frequencies I would want a vector voltmeter or
network analyzer to check.

Jimmie

Old June 17th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
I'm building a turnstile in the 1GHz range. The length of the coax
for the 90* phasing loop is too short to work with easily. Would I
get the same results using a phasing loop 270* in length?

Ralph

Hi Ralph

Could you consider constructing your Turnstile so the "phasing loop" is a
straight length of coax, about 2 inches long seperating the two (crossed)
dipoles?

Jerry

Old June 17th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:08:58 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I'm building a turnstile in the 1GHz range. The length of the coax
for the 90* phasing loop is too short to work with easily. Would I
get the same results using a phasing loop 270* in length?

Ralph

Hi Ralph

Could you consider constructing your Turnstile so the "phasing loop" is a
straight length of coax, about 2 inches long seperating the two (crossed)
dipoles?
Jerry

I figured 1.8 inches for 1066 MHz. I wanted to build it into a pvc
pipe cap so there isn't much room to work. Also, am I correct to
assume the 1.8 is the total length, including what is stripped back to
make the connection?
Ralph

Old June 17th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:08:58 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
I'm building a turnstile in the 1GHz range. The length of the coax
for the 90* phasing loop is too short to work with easily. Would I
get the same results using a phasing loop 270* in length?

Ralph

Hi Ralph

Could you consider constructing your Turnstile so the "phasing loop" is
straight length of coax, about 2 inches long seperating the two (crossed)
dipoles?
Jerry

I figured 1.8 inches for 1066 MHz. I wanted to build it into a pvc
pipe cap so there isn't much room to work. Also, am I correct to
assume the 1.8 is the total length, including what is stripped back to
make the connection?
Ralph

Hi Ralph

I dont know what your needs are for this Turnstile antenna, so my input
may be of no value. But, a Turnstile can be made to work by feeding both
dipoles with one feed point. No phasing harness is needed. Make one
dipole a little short so it is capacitive and the other dipole a little long
so it is inducvtive.

Jerry

Old June 17th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 17, 12:47 pm, "Jerry Martes" wrote:

I figured 1.8 inches for 1066 MHz. I wanted to build it into a pvc
pipe cap so there isn't much room to work. Also, am I correct to
assume the 1.8 is the total length, including what is stripped back to
make the connection?
Ralph

Hi Ralph

I dont know what your needs are for this Turnstile antenna, so my input
may be of no value. But, a Turnstile can be made to work by feeding both
dipoles with one feed point. No phasing harness is needed. Make one
dipole a little short so it is capacitive and the other dipole a little long
so it is inducvtive.

Jerry

The only problem with that is the antenna will still have basically a
dipole
pattern. I assume he is wanting the usual omni pattern with circular
polarization at the higher angles..
But maybe not... You need the phase line if you want a true omni
"turnstile"
pattern.
But saying that , I have used turnstiles with no line.. But usually on
80m..
And it does change the pattern a bit from the original single dipole,
but not
quite the same as using a phase line.
MK

Old June 17th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hi MK

I may have screwed up, but I think that a pair of dipoles on the same
plane, configured like a pair of non-symetrical Vs could be fed with one
feed point to produce a free space cardiod pattern. That would be one
short dipole and one one longer dipole fed in parallel.

Jerry

Jerry

Old June 18th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 17, 2:02 pm, "Jerry Martes" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.. Normally, a turnstile has both
the elements the same length. If you feed two dipoles cut for the
same band, but at different freq's, and feed with a single feedline,
all it will do is effect the SWR plot.. Will look as a "W"..
If you feed a normal turnstile with one line, but no phasing line,
it will act as a normal dipole in one of the 2 plots you could have
from the antenna. In that case, you could feed with two lines,
and switch directions. "dipole pattern each way". You could then
add 90 degrees to one line, and get an omni pattern..
That would give you three choices in plots..
But if you feed with a single line, you must use the phasing line
if you want the omni "turnstile" pattern.
This can be easily modeled using any modeling program..
You set the phasing in the "source" menu..
MK

Old June 18th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 17, 2:02 pm, "Jerry Martes" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

The concept seemed correct in my mind. It was/is -- Feed two dipoles in
parallel, then turn one so it is at right angles to the other. Make one
dipole slightly inductive by making it longer than halfwave. Make the
other dipole capacitive by making it slightly shorter than half wave. One
dipole will radiate before the other due to their reactice impedances. It
shouldnt be too difficult to get enough phase delay to get a decent amount
of CP broadside to the plane of the dipoles.
The objective of this "no phasing line" approach was to make it physically
easier for the OP to fabricate a Turnstile. I have never tried building a
Turnstile this way, but It almost *has to work*. It sure would be easier
than making 1,000 MHz transmission line stuff.
I didnt catch the reference to "omniazimuth" but I am surprised that the
azimuth pattern is not fairly uniform when *no* phasing line is used, as
outlined above.

Jerry