Old February 15th 04, 02:30 AM
Bruce D. Meyer

Default Can antyone recomend a 2m ANT for parking garage?

I park in a parking garage at work, so my 2 meter anetnnae won't fit on the
car (P.T. Cruiser) while in the garage. Removing it, just before entering
the garage is not an option. Does anyone have a recomendation on an
alternate 2 meter antennae?

Bruce Meyer
www.kg4tac.net

Old February 15th 04, 04:11 AM
Lloyd Mitchell

There is a motorized antenna for situations like yours. I have seen it in
AES and Ham Station literature..

Mitch KD4HTW

m...

Old February 15th 04, 05:11 AM
'Doc

Bruce,
I would think a 1/4 wave (about 19") should fit.
'Doc
Old February 15th 04, 02:16 PM
Bob Miller

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 02:30:24 GMT, "Bruce D. Meyer"
wrote:

I park in a parking garage at work, so my 2 meter anetnnae won't fit on the
car (P.T. Cruiser) while in the garage. Removing it, just before entering
the garage is not an option. Does anyone have a recomendation on an
alternate 2 meter antennae?

Bruce Meyer
www.kg4tac.net

One option would be a license plate mount -- see the Lakeview ham
stick site.

Just mount the thing lower on the car.

Bob
k5qwg

Old February 15th 04, 03:00 PM
Cecil Moore

Bruce D. Meyer wrote:
I park in a parking garage at work, so my 2 meter anetnnae won't fit on the
car (P.T. Cruiser) while in the garage. Removing it, just before entering
the garage is not an option. Does anyone have a recomendation on an
alternate 2 meter antennae?

A friend of mine just runs a mag-mount on his hood. MFJ advertises
the RuffRider Junior 1402 as "fits in any garage on any auto". It
is only 16.5" tall.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 15th 04, 03:28 PM
Incognito

Maybe Diamonds Motorized mount K9000 will work for you -- see URL:
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/

--
Incognito By Necessity (:-(

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- - -Harry S Truman

Old February 15th 04, 05:54 PM
Bruce D. Meyer

Wow! Excellent replies, each of you. I am checking each one. I shouldn't
have waited this long to ask. (It's been over a year since I had a mobile,
and the window mounted (external) rubber duck on an HT just doesn't have
the reach that a real antennae does. Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Bruce D. Meyer
www.kg4tac.net

Old February 16th 04, 04:04 PM
Mikey

Can you at least bend something over? Comet makes a series of VHF/UHF
antennas with a breakover joint at the base.

Your other choice is to mount the antenna on a bumper, and live with reduced
performance...

- Mike KI6PR
El Rancho R.F., CA

"Bruce D. Meyer" wrote

Old February 16th 04, 04:57 PM
bunnydawg

Still remember the sound of of breaking flourscent lights the first time i
parked in an underground parking lot.
My learning curve improved after that lol.
Robert

Old February 16th 04, 09:49 PM
Jim

Bruce-- there is an antenna--made for heavy equipment, and railroads that
would
solve your problem, if you could find one-- these are spendy, or if spmeone
can
tell you how to build one-- Used lots of them, they are called an EXCALIBUR
antenna, and are about 3-4 inches high, about 18-20 inches long, and look
kinda
like an anvil with the center hollowed out
(these are a "SLOT" antenna, and, tho mount horizontally, radiate
in the verticle plane!) If can find someone here, that can design one, and
probably
be pretty good market for them!, might give that a try--would take 2 or 3
mag mounts
the comercial version mounts with 6 sheet metal screws, or bolts! But they
do work,
and quite well (used for locomotives, and for talking hot box detectors on
railroad on
old S.P. on signal cases for various detectors, they look like someone put
a "HANDLE"
on a signal case!! Also, might find under the EXCALIBUR name , on
Motorola's web
page ( food for thought )?? Jim NN7K (ex radioman-- Southern, and UNION
Pacific Railroads )
P.S. they also have one, covers 450-470 MHz .

"Bruce D. Meyer" wrote