Old October 9th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Cheap n Easy Dipole Supports

Ive had my Dipole tween two trees for years now. Next door always
been rented and Mine has been there since the previous Owner let me
hang it up there. Well the recent renters Hacked the cord. And I
dont know the current owner. So I must do somthing in my yard.
Except I can only go into one corner and it slopes pretty quick down
about 8 feet at the end.

I can come up the fence about 15 feet to gain it back.

But what im looking for is a cheap way to hang the dipole end back up.

I have some room on the other tree to pull it back to make up the 15
feet I'd lose that way.

Thanks
Scotty W7PSK.

Old October 10th 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Robert Smts wrote:

Use the longest 2 X 4s or 2 X 6s you can find, and make an an A frame out of
them, with the bottom 2 to 3 ft wide. Bolt them to some stakes driven into
the ground next to the fence, and then stand up the A frame against the
fence. With luck, you should be able to get 20 ft or more, even if you need
to bolt a couple of 2 X 4s together to lengthen them.

Otherwise, you could do the same thing with an aluminum house ladder that
goes up to 30 or 40 ft, and use it to tie the antenna to.

Bob, VE7HS

Just a week ago I took down a 40 foot high 2 X 4 wood (untreated Douglas
fir) A-frame I've had up for about 30 years. It hasn't had any
maintenance except for a couple of coats of deck stain. It finally
developed enough rot at points where it was nailed and bolted that it
had to come down. The A-frame was built according to the design which
has been in the ARRL Antenna Book for decades. It's still there -- look
for "A-frame mast" in the index. I once made a slightly shorter one with
2 X 3 lumber. It was a lot lighter and easier to handle, and plenty
strong. Even 2 X 2s would be ok for moderate height, if you can find
some reasonably clear pieces. If you're going to be supporting it with
something like a fence, you'll need to keep the weight to quite a bit
less than my 40 foot 2 X 4 version. Lower height, smaller dimension
lumber, a lighter type of wood, or some combination should get you
something usable.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old October 10th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ive had my Dipole tween two trees for years now. Next door always
been rented and Mine has been there since the previous Owner let me
hang it up there. Well the recent renters Hacked the cord. And I
dont know the current owner. So I must do somthing in my yard.
Except I can only go into one corner and it slopes pretty quick down
about 8 feet at the end.

I can come up the fence about 15 feet to gain it back.

But what im looking for is a cheap way to hang the dipole end back
up.

I'm not sure how cheap you wish to stay, but I would suggest a couple
10' stackable sections of 1"dia steel masts as often available at
hardwware stores' TV sections. ( I think some Radio Shacks carry them,
too, but haven't see the 10' ones in some time there.) They are strong,
light, and I don't think they cost that much. Certainly easier to work
with than wood, will have less visual impact, and will probably put much
less strain on the fence post where you mount it.

Ed K7AAT

Old October 10th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ive had my Dipole tween two trees for years now. Next door always
been rented and Mine has been there since the previous Owner let me
....[snip]....

I'm not sure how cheap you wish to stay, but I would suggest a couple
10' stackable sections of 1"dia steel masts as often available at
....[snip]....

In the USA, Home Depot (and presumably Lowe's, etc.) sells 10- to 20-foot
lengths of pipe for the top "rail" of chain-link fences. Sometimes it
even has the swaging that allows one to fit in the end of another.
Remember that all such pipe masts will need guying.
--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge

Old October 11th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In the USA, Home Depot (and presumably Lowe's, etc.) sells 10- to 20-foot
lengths of pipe for the top "rail" of chain-link fences. Sometimes it
even has the swaging that allows one to fit in the end of another.
Remember that all such pipe masts will need guying.

thats the down side, because of Lot orientation I canna do guys.
Old October 11th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"R. Scott" wrote in
:

In the USA, Home Depot (and presumably Lowe's, etc.) sells 10- to
20-foot lengths of pipe for the top "rail" of chain-link fences.
Sometimes it even has the swaging that allows one to fit in the end
of another. Remember that all such pipe masts will need guying.

thats the down side, because of Lot orientation I canna do guys.

Have you considered a couple rigid steel tube supports on the inside?

Old October 11th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

W7PSK wrote:
Ive had my Dipole tween two trees for years now. Next door always
been rented and Mine has been there since the previous Owner let me
hang it up there. Well the recent renters Hacked the cord. And I
dont know the current owner. So I must do somthing in my yard.
Except I can only go into one corner and it slopes pretty quick down
about 8 feet at the end.

I can come up the fence about 15 feet to gain it back.

But what im looking for is a cheap way to hang the dipole end back up.

I have some room on the other tree to pull it back to make up the 15
feet I'd lose that way.

Thanks
Scotty W7PSK.

Hi Scotty,

When reconfiguring my sloping single-wire 80m dipole into a 4-wire cage
inverted vee, I made use of the corner posts of my chainlink fence. I found
the ID to be about 2.05" and slipped two 10' sections of 1-1/2" iron pipe
(about 1.91" OD) into & attached-to each of the fence posts. One corner
post is short (about 3' above ground) and the other is taller (about 6'
above ground). I use conduit couplings to join the sections, since they
engage more of the threads on the pipe as compared to water pipe couplings.
It hasn't been up very long but, so far, so good. If you want to know how
well it holds up, ask me after the Winter storms!

73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old October 18th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Tried 2 tv masts today 20ft total.
Antenna is A NW antennas L-160 loaded DIpole, fairly heavy.
Bent them suckers right over.
Need that tree next door back

You might not need that tree,but instead stiffen the 2 TV masts,by
fitting (in the middle of each mast) 2 outriggers perpendicular to the
mast in the same vertical plane in line with the antenna.
You then connect the free ends of the outriggers with both top and
bottom of the mast using steel wire + tensioners.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH