Old November 30th 06, 06:53 PM
Junior Member

Default what are you using for dipole supports

Hi
I been looking for the tv push masts that I used to use for supporting my dipoles when I was younger. I used to get the fifty foot one stick a ten foot top section and guy for a decent 80 meter suport system.I can find anything that is above thirty feet with the loss of tv antennas to direct and cable . Any sources or other good ideas for this. I really do not want to buy a tower for this espically as I had used several for different antennas. Maybe someone has done some groundwork on using steel or aluminium tubing? Thanks
Old November 30th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Are you referring to masts that come in 10' sections and can be
assembled together, one inside another? If this is what you are
wanting your Ace or True value hardware have them or can order them.
Mine cost me 2 weeks ago $15.99 each plus sales tax. They fit one
inside another to whatever height you want.

--
Michael J

Old November 30th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Are you referring to masts that come in 10' sections and can be
assembled together, one inside another? If this is what you are
wanting your Ace or True value hardware have them or can order them.
Mine cost me 2 weeks ago $15.99 each plus sales tax. They fit one
inside another to whatever height you want.

Also, if you have a Lowes Home Center nearby, they do tend to carry
those Wineguard type telescoping TV antenna masts, too. ... at least to
the 40' variety. Whether or not you'd find one in stock or have to order
is another story...

Ed
Old December 1st 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael J wrote:
Hi
I been looking for the tv push masts that I used to use for supporting
my dipoles when I was younger. I used to get the fifty foot one stick
a ten foot top section and guy for a decent 80 meter suport system.I
can find anything that is above thirty feet with the loss of tv
antennas to direct and cable . Any sources or other good ideas for
this. I really do not want to buy a tower for this espically as I had
used several for different antennas. Maybe someone has done some
groundwork on using steel or aluminium tubing? Thanks
--
Michael J

Hi Mike, Since an 80 meter dipole needs 130' of space, can you find a
high tree for one support? The push-up masts that are currently
available are in the 30' range, and will not get you up 60'.
Are you sure you need a full size dipole up 60'? Consider an
inverted vee up 60' at apex, needs one support. Ends drooping down
30-20'. I have used this configuration many times, works well.
QST published an article on a tower based on 2 X 4 lumber, and I seem
to remember articles on irragation piping used for supports. Good
Luck.
Gary N4AST

Old December 1st 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Drive around until you see one attached to the side of a house
with nothing on top. Introduce yourself as a ham and ask if they'd
like it removed and disposed of free of charge. You might
be pleasantly surprised.

Irv VE6BP

Michael J wrote:

Hi
I been looking for the tv push masts that I used to use for supporting
my dipoles when I was younger. I used to get the fifty foot one stick
a ten foot top section and guy for a decent 80 meter suport system.I
can find anything that is above thirty feet with the loss of tv
antennas to direct and cable . Any sources or other good ideas for
this. I really do not want to buy a tower for this espically as I had
used several for different antennas. Maybe someone has done some
groundwork on using steel or aluminium tubing? Thanks

--
Michael J

--
--------------------------------------
Visit my HomePage at http://members.shaw.ca/finkirv/index.html

Old December 27th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael J queried:

Hi
I been looking for the tv push masts that I used to use for supporting
my dipoles when I was younger. I used to get the fifty foot one stick
a ten foot top section and guy for a decent 80 meter suport system.I
can find anything that is above thirty feet with the loss of tv
antennas to direct and cable . Any sources or other good ideas for
this. I really do not want to buy a tower for this espically as I had
used several for different antennas. Maybe someone has done some
groundwork on using steel or aluminium tubing? Thanks

--
Michael J

Hi Michael,

I've recently fabricated a 35' tilt-over mast from aluminum pipe but it
sounds like you're locked into using a push-up mast. Rohn used to make
push-up telescoping masts I see that now, Channelmaster
(http://www.channelmaster.com/) is making them. They produce 30, 40, and
50' models in both standard and heavy-duty versions:
http://www.pctinternational.com/chan...ounaccess.html. Lowes handles
Channelmaster.

Ideally, you'd want to get the antenna up at least a quarter-wavelength.
However, at 80m as an example, this is some 60' -- which will be problematic
with a push-up mast. Get the antenna up as high as you can manage. You'll
some assistance to erect the taller masts, and then you have a mast that is
only electro-galvanized steel -- which will rust out and then become an even
bigger problem to maintain or disassemble. At the very least, replace the
hardware with stainless steel (and use antiseize compound on the threads).
For antenna erection/mainenance, hang a good weatherproof pulley on the top
and use UV- and rot-resistant rope. McMaster-Carr
(http://www.mcmaster.com/) is a good source for these items.

Bryan WA7PRC

Old December 28th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Fence top rail may work, If you fill the pipe with foam or something like
that to make it stiffer...and guy it.
Im not really sure what you want to hang on it, so this is my best guess
for something cheap and easy.
Joe