Old October 13th 07, 12:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jam jam is offline

Default Help in choosing a beam

Hello All!

I am planning to put up my first tower and beam, the tower 25g braced
to the house at 20 feet 45 ft tall and a Yaesu 800ga rotator.

The Problem!

What Beam to put on top?

I have done my home work and currently trying to decide.

3 element Stepper IR (Looks good but, pricy! On the negative, if a
wire bus comes lose or breaks your SOL )

Mosley ta-63 ( all band but no f/b )

Mosley classic cl 33 + warc ( Looks sturdy but, traps, no gain on 17
meters )

Sommer (looks good but a bit of Rube Goldburg + Heavy )

Force 12 ( pop ribits and tuners ???????)

Tennadyne (same gain as 2 element yagi big! Swr)

I hope to here what the opinions are.

Thanks All

WA3YMM
Old October 13th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"jam" wrote in message
Hello All!

I am planning to put up my first tower and beam, the tower 25g braced
to the house at 20 feet 45 ft tall and a Yaesu 800ga rotator.

The Problem!

What Beam to put on top?

I have done my home work and currently trying to decide.

3 element Stepper IR (Looks good but, pricy! On the negative, if a
wire bus comes lose or breaks your SOL )

Mosley ta-63 ( all band but no f/b )

Mosley classic cl 33 + warc ( Looks sturdy but, traps, no gain on 17
meters )

Sommer (looks good but a bit of Rube Goldburg + Heavy )

Force 12 ( pop ribits and tuners ???????)

Tennadyne (same gain as 2 element yagi big! Swr)

I hope to here what the opinions are.

Thanks All

WA3YMM

all multi-band antennas are a compromise. its up to you to make the
tradeoffs and pick one that fits your budget and provides the band coverage
you want.

oh, there is one other drawback on the steppir... long delivery time. i am
just about to leave to help a friend put up his that just came in last week,
and he ordered it at Dayton in the spring. if you want to have something up
for winter that may be a problem. if you are planning for spring you should
make it.

Old October 13th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"jam" wrote in message
Hello All!

I am planning to put up my first tower and beam, the tower 25g braced
to the house at 20 feet 45 ft tall and a Yaesu 800ga rotator.

The Problem!

What Beam to put on top?

I have done my home work and currently trying to decide.

3 element Stepper IR (Looks good but, pricy! On the negative, if a
wire bus comes lose or breaks your SOL )

Mosley ta-63 ( all band but no f/b )

Mosley classic cl 33 + warc ( Looks sturdy but, traps, no gain on 17
meters )

Sommer (looks good but a bit of Rube Goldburg + Heavy )

Force 12 ( pop ribits and tuners ???????)

Tennadyne (same gain as 2 element yagi big! Swr)

I hope to here what the opinions are.

Thanks All

WA3YMM

I am completely happy with my Hygain TH3Mk4 at 40 feet, which replaced a
Mosley TA33Jr (semi useless). The first day I had it up I worked 3 new
countries in the Far East on 15 SSB. On at least one occasion I had
Europeans on 20 tell me I had the strongest signal from North America at
that time. Duce (sp?) Island came back on the third call.

Tam/WB2TT

Old October 14th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dear WA3YMM:

Which Tennadyne is on your list? Hard to beat for efficiency,
simplicity and bandwidth. The longer models (such as T10) appear to have
gain that is at least as good as a trap-beam.

In my opinion, having 18 MHz and 24 MHz coverage is valuable.

25 feet of un-guyed Rohn 25 is limited in the amount of wind induced
load that it can survive. If you are in an urban setting, or have a number
of substantial trees in most directions, you have a reduced chance of wind
damage. Do re-visit Rohn's recommendations.

Enjoy whatever you buy and get on the air. 73, Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home: