Old April 11th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Advice on choosing TNC

hi all,

i have been out of amateur radio for a good number of years.
i have finally got the room (garden and house!) for a few rigs,
and i'd like to get back into packet.

I would like to have the capability to do packet on V/UHF and also via
satellite (if I can get an antenna up for it).

I am also very interested in aprs (looks very useful) so the TNC
would have to be usable with GPS/etc.

I run a Icom IC-207 V/UHF, a Kenwood TH78e handie, and a Yaesu FT707 for HF.

I mainly use Mac OS X, or at times Windows XP, so the TNC would have to be supported
by Mac TNC software.

any help greatly appreciate,

73s de
bernard
ei8fdb
Old April 11th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

BERNARD,
I too am still active in PACKET however I use a Commodore 128 for
all my uses. One for internet use and another setup for Packet
on VHF only. I use GERMAN software called DIGICOM V5 which uses
the worldwide compatible software. I built my own TNC strictly
for PACKET/VHF. In Hawaii we have a statewide packet digiptr
setup, with the digi on top of Mt Haleakala. I can easily reach
that. I think its APRS which has a lot of addnl cmds I am not
familiar with. As to TNC'S that will work with PC's and or
COMMODORE computers the following commercial TNC's are all suitable.
MFJ (makes several versions)
Packrat PK232's with latest upgrade ROMS also (useable with
Commodores if adapter is also included.
KAM+ Kantronics also with latest ROMS is MBX and fully compatible.
Hope this helps. I was handling all MARS traffic via Packet between
Ft Huachuca Az and Schofield Barracks in Honolulu for many years till
I finally resigned last year. After 70 years with pre WW2 then
MARS till last year I decided I better rest and take it easy.
Joe/KH6JF (previously ABM6JF) MARS Call

************************************************** ************************
* Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF *
* WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS *
************************************************** ************************

Old April 12th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"blue box thief" "blue box wrote in message in...
hi all,

i have been out of amateur radio for a good number of years.
i have finally got the room (garden and house!) for a few rigs,
and i'd like to get back into packet.

I would like to have the capability to do packet on V/UHF and also via
satellite (if I can get an antenna up for it).

I am also very interested in aprs (looks very useful) so the TNC
would have to be usable with GPS/etc.

I run a Icom IC-207 V/UHF, a Kenwood TH78e handie, and a Yaesu FT707 for HF.

I mainly use Mac OS X, or at times Windows XP, so the TNC would have to be supported
by Mac TNC software.

any help greatly appreciate,

73s de
bernard
ei8fdb

A TNC can be operated from a dumb terminal through an RS232 port. You can use any terminal program with your computer--I've used
Windows HyperTerminal. You tend to need to keep the TNC command line book handy when using a terminal program. Software specific
to TNCs (e.g., HostMaster) make operating the TNC more user friendly.

Hope that helps.

73 de Glenn AA5PK

Old April 12th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Check Kantronics and also the AMSAT and TAPR websites and bulletin
boards. Some of the digital satellites required a manchester
modification to the uplink, but I think that is passe. Bob Bruiniga is
the guru on these so you might look him up and send an e-mail to him.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Old April 16th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 2007-04-12, Glenn wrote:

A TNC can be operated from a dumb terminal through an RS232 port. You can use any terminal program with your computer--I've used
Windows HyperTerminal. You tend to need to keep the TNC command line book handy when using a terminal program. Software specific
to TNCs (e.g., HostMaster) make operating the TNC more user friendly.

Hi Glenn,

well thats the main reason why i was looking for a tnc - i could run it with any os, and a rs232 prt.

the tnc i managed to pickup (pk232) comes with manuals so it should make things easier for me!

thanks
bernard

Old April 16th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 2007-04-12, Glenn wrote:

A TNC can be operated from a dumb terminal through an RS232 port. You can use any terminal program with your computer--I've used
Windows HyperTerminal. You tend to need to keep the TNC command line book handy when using a terminal program. Software specific
to TNCs (e.g., HostMaster) make operating the TNC more user friendly.

Hi Glenn,

well thats the main reason why i was looking for a tnc - i could run it with any os, and a rs232 prt.

the tnc i managed to pickup (pk232) comes with manuals so it should make things easier for me!

thanks
bernard

There are a nr of TNC'S commercially available such as the MFJ
series, the KAM+, the PK-232's. etc. The limitations involved.
depend on whether the KAM's and PK232's have the upgraded ROM
chips in them. Make sure they do as the features are vastly improved
if the Upgrade chips are in them.
Joe