Old December 20th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Standing-Wave Current vs Traveling-Wave Current

Cecil Moore wrote:
Here is a graphic using the "View Antenna" window for
the EZNEC files TravWave.EZ and StndWave.EZ.

http://www.w5dxp.com/eznec.jpg

Sorry, the graphic only contains information about
TravWave.EZ

Looking at TravWave.EZ with the current phase turned
off, the current displayed is indeed the amplitude of
the current up and down the wire which is essentially
a constant RMS magnitude.

But with the current phase turned on, the display does
not display the same phase reported by "Load Dat". It
displays a cosine function when the actual phase function
is a straight sloping line varying from 0 degrees at the
feedpoint to -90 degrees at the load resistor. What
EZNEC is actually displaying associated with phase
is unclear, confusing, and misleading.

StndWave.EZ ...

Please ignore what I said about StndWave.EZ

To answer your question, EZNEC does not display phase
when the current phase box is selected.

To be more clear. EZNEC does not display the same phase
as reported by the "Loads" feature.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old December 21st 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
[...]

Cecil,

I presume that this is a silly question, but "Did you read the manual"?

EZNEC is displays the current phase exactly as described in the manual.

Hint: Current is shown as distance from the axis. Current PHASE is shown
by a rotation around the axis, not by the distance from the axis.

73,
Gene
W4SZ
Old December 21st 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Gene Fuller wrote:
Hint: Current is shown as distance from the axis. Current PHASE is shown
by a rotation around the axis, not by the distance from the axis.

So I cannot display current phase vs length? No wonder
Roy is so confused about the nature of current phase.
Seems I have to paste the current phase into EXCEL
just to get a decent graph of it.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old December 21st 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Gene Fuller wrote:
Hint: Current is shown as distance from the axis. Current PHASE is shown
by a rotation around the axis, not by the distance from the axis.

If it was a conscious design, I apologize for saying it is
a bug. So how can I display a 2D graph of phase vs segments?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old December 21st 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Humph, all this hot air just addles my aged brain...

I do know a FEW things however...

I know that standing waves exist because I can slide my fluorescent
bulb along the line and show precisely where they are

I can measure the distance between peak voltage points with a metric
wooden ruler and demonstrate/prove that 3X10^6meters / Fcycles =
the length of the measured 2 radians of travel....

But most importantly I KNOW that the standing waves are real and have
energy because my fluorescent tube lights up as it passes the peaks...
That requires energy/watts/joules to flow through the gas of the
tube...

You can use all the damned words in the world to talk around and
obscure the subject, but when I slide along my line the bulb lights to
maximum brilliance every half wave length of the standing waves...
Res Ipsa Loquiter

denny / k8do

Old December 21st 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Dec 21, 8:01*am, Denny wrote:
Humph, all this hot air just addles my aged brain...

I do know a FEW things however...

I know that standing waves exist because I can slide my fluorescent
bulb along the line and show precisely where they are

I can measure the distance between peak voltage points with a metric
wooden ruler and demonstrate/prove that 3X10^6meters / Fcycles =
the length of the measured 2 radians of travel....

But most importantly I KNOW that the standing waves are real and have
energy because my fluorescent tube lights up as it passes the peaks...
That requires energy/watts/joules to flow through the gas of the
tube...

You can use all the damned words in the world to talk around and
obscure the subject, but when I slide along my line the bulb lights to
maximum brilliance every half wave length of the standing waves...

But what does it mean at the other places along the line where
the bulb does not light?

Does it mean that there is no energy at these points on the line?

...Keith
Old December 21st 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

On 21 Dec, 05:47, Keith Dysart wrote:
On Dec 21, 8:01*am, Denny wrote:

[...]

...Keith- Hide quoted text -

Ofcourse not!.
The energy is directed else where, it usually changes to heat.
As I have stated before, in a tank circuit the resistance in the
circuit
also is cyclic with respect to energy distribution. Where there is
resonance
the resistance factor is quite small. As one moves to the "near
stable"
position the resistance factor becomes larger with respect to energy
distribution.
If you wish to pursue what is happening in such a circuit then break
up the application
of voltage in consequitive steps to see the rotational effects of
capacitor and
inductance energy discharge together with the energy distribution when
the
voltage drop over the energy storage units are equal.
Art
Old December 21st 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

You can use all the damned words in the world to talk around and
obscure the subject, but when I slide along my line the bulb lights to
maximum brilliance every half wave length of the standing waves...

But what does it mean at the other places along the line where
the bulb does not light?

Does it mean that there is no energy at these points on the line?

....Keith

Fluorescent bulb or neon bulb respond, are fired, by voltage being higher.
Where the voltage is high, the current is low and vice versa (standing
waves).
Energy is the same along the antenna, just standing waves exhibit max and
min according to distribution of current or voltage along the radiator.

If W8JI, W7EL and their followers moved neon bulb along the loading coil,
they would see the change in brightness along the coil (getting brighter
closer to the top) indicating diminishing current along the same length.
Ergo (standing wave) current is not constant along the loading coil as they
tried to convince their followers to the contrary.

73 and Merry Christmas to all
Yuri, www.K3BU.us

Old December 21st 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
If W8JI, W7EL and their followers moved neon bulb along the loading coil,
they would see the change in brightness along the coil (getting brighter
closer to the top) indicating diminishing current along the same length.
Ergo (standing wave) current is not constant along the loading coil as they
tried to convince their followers to the contrary.

One can just look at the standing wave current equation and
tell it is not constant. The standing wave current varies
with location on the antenna.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old December 21st 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Here's why: http://www.chemmybear.com/standing.html
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com