RadioBanter

-   -   Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/129748-derivation-reflection-coefficient-vs-swr.html)

Roger Sparks January 25th 08 03:33 AM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

It is not too hard to use the concept of traveling waves and reflections
to derive the familiar reflection coefficient to SWR relationship. SWR
is a measurable and useful relationship that most hams are familiar
with. A clear path between SWR and traveling waves should make the
concepts more understandable and believable.

Power placed on a transmission line is placed over time. No matter how
small the time span interval we might want to examine, the span will
always be wide enough to include some quantity of power or energy. If
we desire, we can eliminate the time consideration and just consider
energy, but there is no need to do that. In this derivation, the
distinction between power and energy will be ignored.

We will assume that neither power nor energy can be stored at the
discontinuity in amounts greater than the natural storage capacity of
the lines. This assumption fixes the impedance of any waves to the
impedance of the transmission lines.

Begin the derivation by assuming that power is applied to a transmission
line with impedance Zo. A traveling wave moves down the transmission
line to a discontinuity which is composed of a second transmission line
or resistor with impedance Zl. The junction between the two lines is
like a window or thin plane, with Zo on one side and Zl on the other.

Upon encountering the discontinuity, the lead edge of the wave (and all
following energy levels) follow a "conservation of energy" rule that
requires energy to be preserved at all times. In other words, the
energy that has been conveyed to the junction by some interval of
applied power is not lost to heat, radiation, or storage, but will leave
the junction as fast as it arrives, and can be located, maintaining time
shape.

The following equation will be valid,

Pf = Pl + Pr

where Pf = power forward, Pl = power to load, and Pr = power reflected.

Use the voltage equivalent,

(Vf^2)/Zo = (Vl^2)/Zl + (Vr^2)/Zo

where Vf = forward voltage, Vl = load voltage, and Vr = reflected
voltage. The reflected wave will travel back down the main line with
impedance Zo.

Simplify the equation by rearranging and substitute SWR = Zl/Zo

(Vf^2)/Zo - (Vr^2)/Zo = (Vl^2)/Zl

SWR(Vf^2 - Vr^2) = (Vl^2)

Change the Vl into terms of Vf and Vr. Vl = Vf + Vr. We can do this
because at a reflection, traveling waves double back over one another,
adding voltage. Substitute Vl = Vf + Vr

SWR(Vf^2 - Vr^2) = (Vf + Vr)^2

Factor the polynomial on the left above

SWR(Vf - Vr)(Vf + Vr) = (Vf + Vr)^2

Divide both sides by (Vf + Vr)

SWR(Vf - Vr) = Vf + Vr

Divide both sides by Vf

SWR(1 - Vr/Vf) = 1 + Vr/vf

Vr/Vf = Reflection coefficient Ro, substitute

SWR(1 - Ro) = 1 + Ro

Rearrange to put Ro on one side

Ro + Ro*SWR = SWR - 1

Factor out Ro and rearrange

Ro = (SWR - 1)/(SWR + 1)

We have found the familiar relationship for the Reflection Coefficient
(Ro) and SWR using traveling wave logic.

Using identical logic but using current instead of voltage, the same
relationship can be found from

Zo*If^2 = Zl*Il^2 + Zr*Ir^2

By examining this derivation, the reader can see that power and energy
is reflected when a wave encounters a discontinuity. The reader can
also see that more power is present on the transmission line than is
delivered to the load.

Here is a link to additional information about transmission lines:

http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/qs...sion-line2.htm

73, Roger, W7WKB

Owen Duffy January 25th 08 04:54 AM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

Roger Sparks wrote in
:

... The reader can
also see that more power is present on the transmission line than is
delivered to the load.

The notion that "power is present" is a different one.

Owen

Roy Lewallen January 25th 08 05:07 AM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

Owen Duffy wrote:
Roger Sparks wrote in
:

... The reader can
also see that more power is present on the transmission line than is
delivered to the load.

The notion that "power is present" is a different one.

Owen

It's reasonable, though. Looking at demo 4 with the TLVis1 program, you
can see that there's power all along the line except at specific nodal
points (where I or V is always zero), yet there's no power at all being
delivered to the load.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Owen Duffy January 25th 08 05:32 AM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

Roy Lewallen wrote in news:13pirk5h1cpt4f5
@corp.supernews.com:

Owen Duffy wrote:
Roger Sparks wrote in
:

... The reader can
also see that more power is present on the transmission line than is
delivered to the load.

The notion that "power is present" is a different one.

Owen

It's reasonable, though. Looking at demo 4 with the TLVis1 program, you
can see that there's power all along the line except at specific nodal
points (where I or V is always zero), yet there's no power at all being
delivered to the load.

Roy, my though was that on anything but a lossless line with VSWR=1,
instantaneous power (being the rate of flow of energy) varies with time
and location, so to make the statement that "power is present" and to
quantitatively compare it with the power at a point (being the end of the
line where the load is attached) seems to not be so reasonable.

If the statement is about average power in both cases, then it is
reasonable, obvious even, that power decreases with distance from the
source.

Perhaps "power is present" is an avoidance of the somewhat tautological
form "power flows to the load".

Owen

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 25th 08 06:14 AM

Owen Duffy wrote:
Perhaps "power is present" is an avoidance of the somewhat tautological
form "power flows to the load".

Want to muddy the waters even more? Ramo & Whinnery say:
"Another very important case is that of a perfect conductor,
which by definition must have a zero tangential component
of electric field at its surface. Then ^P^ [Poynting vector]
can have no component normal to the conductor and there can
be no power flow through the perfect conductor."
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Roger Sparks January 25th 08 04:08 PM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 05:32:33 GMT
Owen Duffy wrote:

Roy Lewallen wrote in news:13pirk5h1cpt4f5
@corp.supernews.com:

Owen Duffy wrote:
Roger Sparks wrote in
:

[...]

Nothing mysterious was hinted with the words "power is present".

As I finished writing the post, I wanted to call attention to the assumption that the reflected power is true power and adds to the amount of energy "stored" on the transmission line. But "stored" is a word that implies static conditions, and static conditions are not found on a transmission line. So I substituted "present" for "stored.

73, Roger, W7WKB

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 25th 08 04:15 PM

Roger Sparks wrote:
As I finished writing the post, I wanted to call attention to the assumption that the reflected power is true power and adds to the amount of energy "stored" on the transmission line. But "stored" is a word that implies static conditions, and static conditions are not found on a transmission line. So I substituted "present" for "stored.

The amount of energy existing in a transmission
line is exactly the amount required to support
the measured forward power and reflected power.

If the steady-state forward power is 200 watts,
the reflected power is 100 watts, and the lossless
transmission line is one microsecond long, it
contains 300 microjoules of energy. I don't
think that is a sheer coincidence. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Roy Lewallen January 25th 08 06:23 PM

Roger Sparks wrote:

Nothing mysterious was hinted with the words "power is present".

As I finished writing the post, I wanted to call attention to the assumption that the reflected power is true power and adds to the amount of energy "stored" on the transmission line. But "stored" is a word that implies static conditions, and static conditions are not found on a transmission line. So I substituted "present" for "stored.

A better reason to avoid "stored" is that power isn't stored at all,
anywhere. Anyone who believes so should be able to tell us how many
watts of power are stored in a 50 Ah, 12 volt battery.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Roger Sparks January 25th 08 07:22 PM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:15:33 GMT
Cecil Moore wrote:

Roger Sparks wrote:
As I finished writing the post, I wanted to call attention to the assumption that the reflected power is true power and adds to the amount of energy "stored" on the transmission line. But "stored" is a word that implies static conditions, and static conditions are not found on a transmission line. So I substituted "present" for "stored.

The amount of energy existing in a transmission
line is exactly the amount required to support
the measured forward power and reflected power.

If the steady-state forward power is 200 watts,
the reflected power is 100 watts, and the lossless
transmission line is one microsecond long, it
contains 300 microjoules of energy. I don't
think that is a sheer coincidence. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Yep, and if we quickly replaced the source with a termination having the impedance of the transmission line, 100 watts of power would continue to be delivered to the load for one microsecond, delivering 100 microjoules of energy. 100 watts of power would be delivered to the reflected wave termination for two microseconds, delivering 200 microjoules of energy.

The transmission line was a dynamic power storage device for two microseconds after the power source was disconnected.

73, Roger, W7WKB

Owen Duffy January 25th 08 07:33 PM

Owen Duffy wrote:

Roy Lewallen wrote in news:13pirk5h1cpt4f5
@corp.supernews.com:

Owen Duffy wrote:
Roger Sparks wrote in
:

... The reader can
also see that more power is present on the transmission line than
is delivered to the load.

The notion that "power is present" is a different one.

Owen

Nothing mysterious was hinted with the words "power is present".

As I finished writing the post, I wanted to call attention to the
assumption that the reflected power is true power and adds to the
amount of energy "stored" on the transmission line. But "stored" is
a word that implies static conditions, and static conditions are not
found on a transmission line. So I substituted "present" for "stored.

Roger,

If you were wanting to mean "stored", perhaps it is energy that is stored
(over a non-zero length of line) rather than power. In that sense, energy
is "present" on the line, and the load may store energy (only if it has
reactive elements, and irrespective of whether it looks resistive at its
terminals).

Owen

Roger Sparks January 25th 08 07:58 PM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:33:41 GMT
Owen Duffy wrote:

Roger Sparks wrote in
:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 05:32:33 GMT
Owen Duffy wrote:

Roy Lewallen wrote in news:13pirk5h1cpt4f5
@corp.supernews.com:

Owen Duffy wrote:
Roger Sparks wrote in
:

[...]

I think everyone agrees that energy is stored on a transmission line in the sense that energy enters at time one and does not exit until some time later at time two.

It is important to be aware that the time shape of the energy package is preserved on a transmission line. The time shape information is contained in the power term for every instant of passing time.

I can understand why many hesitate to think of power as being "stored" on a transmission line, because at best, such storage is dynamic and fleeting. Thinking of power being "present" on a transmission line is better than "stored" because the concept of a time component is not lost.

--
73, Roger, W7WKB

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 25th 08 09:18 PM

Roger Sparks wrote:
If the steady-state forward power is 200 watts,
the reflected power is 100 watts, and the lossless
transmission line is one microsecond long, it
contains 300 microjoules of energy. I don't
think that is a sheer coincidence. :-)

Yep, and if we quickly replaced the source with a termination having the impedance of the transmission line, 100 watts of power would continue to be delivered to the load for one microsecond, delivering 100 microjoules of energy. 100 watts of power would be delivered to the reflected wave termination for two microseconds, delivering 200 microjoules of energy.

Can we consider the old wives' tale of no energy in reflected
waves to be laid to rest?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Keith Dysart[_2_] January 25th 08 10:25 PM

On Jan 25, 11:15*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
Roger Sparks wrote:
As I finished writing the post, I wanted to call attention to the assumption that the reflected power is true power and adds to the amount of energy "stored" on the transmission line. * But "stored" is a word that implies static conditions, and static conditions are not found on a transmission line. *So I substituted "present" for "stored.

The amount of energy existing in a transmission
line is exactly the amount required to support
the measured forward power and reflected power.

If the steady-state forward power is 200 watts,
the reflected power is 100 watts, and the lossless
transmission line is one microsecond long, it
contains 300 microjoules of energy.

Are you sure?

Check your answer by trying 100 kHz sinusoidal
steady-state excitation.

Even easier, ignore the reflected power and
test your assertion just for the forward power.

For fun, work out the line lengths for which your
claim is true.

...Keith

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 25th 08 10:31 PM

Keith Dysart wrote:
Check your answer by trying 100 kHz sinusoidal
steady-state excitation.

Good grief, Keith, get real. I guess I forgot to
say the assertion was for an integer multiple of MHz.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Keith Dysart[_2_] January 26th 08 03:13 AM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

On Jan 24, 10:33*pm, Roger Sparks wrote:
[snip]
By examining this derivation, the reader can see that power and energy
is reflected when a wave encounters a discontinuity. *The reader can
also see that more power is present on the transmission line than is
delivered to the load.

This is the conventional phraseology for describing the behaviour at
the impedance discontinuity.

Allow me to offer a specific example for which this phraseology is
inappropriate.

Consider a 50 V step function generator with an output impedance of
50 ohms driving a 50 ohm line that is 1 second long terminated in an
open circuit.

Turn on the generator. A 50 V step propagates down the line. The
generator is putting 50 J/s into the line. One second later it
reaches the open end and begins propagating backwards.
After two seconds it reaches the generator. The voltage at the
generator is now 100 V and no current is flowing from the
generator into the line. In the 2 seconds, the generator put
100 joules into the line which is now stored in the line.
The line is at a constant 100 V and the current is zero everywhere.

Computing Pf and Pr will yield 50 W forward and 50 W reflected.
And yet no current is flowing anywhere. The voltage on the line
is completely static.

And yet some will claim that 50 W is flowing forward and 50 W
is flowing backwards.

Does this seem like a reasonable claim for an open circuited
transmission line with constant voltage along its length and
no current anywhere?

I do not find it so.

...Keith

Keith Dysart[_2_] January 26th 08 03:19 AM

On Jan 25, 5:31*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
Keith Dysart wrote:
Check your answer by trying 100 kHz sinusoidal
steady-state excitation.

Good grief, Keith, get real. I guess I forgot to
say the assertion was for an integer multiple of MHz.

Yes, so it would seem.

And that would seem to narrow the applicability
of the original assertion rather severely.

...Keith

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 26th 08 02:07 PM

Keith Dysart wrote:
Computing Pf and Pr will yield 50 W forward and 50 W reflected.
And yet no current is flowing anywhere. The voltage on the line
is completely static.

Why would you compute Pf and Pr when no DC current is
flowing? It is an invalid thing to do and unrelated to
reality.

And yet some will claim that 50 W is flowing forward and 50 W
is flowing backwards.

I know of no one who will claim that for static DC.
There are obviously no photons being emitted and
therefore, no waves.

Your example is unrelated to standing waves on an
RF transmission line where energy is in motion,
photons are continuously being emitted and absorbed,
and current and voltage loops are active.

One must realize the limitations of one's model.
The wave model obviously fails where there are no
waves.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 26th 08 02:12 PM

Keith Dysart wrote:
And that would seem to narrow the applicability
of the original assertion rather severely.

What do you know? It narrows it to amateur radio,
the subject of this newsgroup.

To be entirely technically correct, since my assertion
was about average powers, the example transmission line
must be an integer multiple of 1/4 wavelength.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Keith Dysart[_2_] January 26th 08 03:53 PM

On Jan 26, 9:12*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
Keith Dysart wrote:
And that would seem to narrow the applicability
of the original assertion rather severely.

What do you know? It narrows it to amateur radio,
the subject of this newsgroup.

I was unaware that all Amateur transmission lines
were a multiple of 1 wavelength long. Are you sure?

To be entirely technically correct, since my assertion
was about average powers, the example transmission line
must be an integer multiple of 1/4 wavelength.

I would suggest 1/2 wavelength. For an intuitive proof,
consider a line with only forward power. Then think
of a quarter wave section with a voltage peak in the
middle. Then consider when the voltage 0 is in the
middle. Lots more energy in the former than the latter.
At 1/2 wavelength, the total energy in the line section
is constant.

...Keith

...Keith

Roger Sparks January 26th 08 05:15 PM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:13:31 -0800 (PST)
Keith Dysart wrote:

[...]

This is a reasonable observation for a static situation where energy is stored on a transmission line.

If the example contained an ongoing consideration, like "Where does the power move to?", then it would be reasonable to consider that the wave continued to move, simply to avoid the complication of what EXACTLY happens when a wave starts and stops.
--
73, Roger, W7WKB

Keith Dysart[_2_] January 27th 08 03:16 AM

On Jan 26, 9:07*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
Keith Dysart wrote:
Computing Pf and Pr will yield 50 W forward and 50 W reflected.
And yet no current is flowing anywhere. The voltage on the line
is completely static.

Why would you compute Pf and Pr when no DC current is
flowing?

To facilitate learning about how the equations work and
what they may mean.

It is an invalid thing to do

Not at all. The equations don't just stop working at 0 frequency.

In their general form F(t), there is no hint at all that F can
not be a constant. Or, if you prefer, a square wave with a width
several times longer than the length of the line.

and unrelated to reality.

Anything unreal will also be unreal for the specific case of
sinusoids.

And yet some will claim that 50 W is flowing forward and 50 W
is flowing backwards.

I know of no one who will claim that for static DC.
There are obviously no photons being emitted and
therefore, no waves.

You really should try to stop thinking about photons
for just a short while. All the behaviours of a transmission
line can be understood and characterized without reference
to photons.

Analysis using classic circuit principles works quite fine
and has no difficulty at low frequencies.

Your example is unrelated to standing waves on an
RF transmission line where energy is in motion,
photons are continuously being emitted and absorbed,
and current and voltage loops are active.

There is no standing wave, but the example is quite
valid none-the-less. If you like, consider it as a
long pulse. And if you only want sinusoids, Fourier
will convert the pulse to sinusoids which you can,
using superposition, use to solve the problem.

The simplicity of the constant voltage makes it
easy to check your results.

One must realize the limitations of one's model.
The wave model obviously fails where there are no
waves.

Think of it as a long pulse. That should satisfy your
need to have 'waves'.

...Keith

Keith Dysart[_2_] January 27th 08 03:24 AM

Keith Dysart wrote:
[...]

So have you thought about "where does the power go?"

When the generator is matched to the line so that
the reflected wave does not encounter an impedance
discontinuity when it arrives back at the generator
(and therefore is not reflected), where does the
reflected power go?
Does it enter the generator?
Is it dissipated somewhere?

Answers to these questions will quickly lead to
doubts about the *reality* of "reflected power".

...Keith

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 27th 08 02:45 PM

Keith Dysart wrote:
Not at all. The equations don't just stop working at 0 frequency.

As a matter of fact, EM waves cannot exist without
photons. There is zero wave activity at DC. Therefore,
the forward power and reflected power is zero at DC
steady-state.

You really should try to stop thinking about photons
for just a short while.

Yep, you guys would like to sweep the technical knowledge
from the field of optical physics and quantum electro-
dynamics under the rug. One wonders why.

Think of it as a long pulse. That should satisfy your
need to have 'waves'.

No, only photons will satisfy the definition of EM
waves. There are no photons. There are no waves. There
are no forward and reflected powers. There are no
changing E-fields or H-fields. There is not even any
movement of electrons associated with the source
voltage.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 27th 08 03:26 PM

Keith Dysart wrote:
When the generator is matched to the line so that
the reflected wave does not encounter an impedance
discontinuity when it arrives back at the generator
(and therefore is not reflected), ...

On the contrary, it is redistributed back toward
the load in the process of destructive interference
and becomes constructive interference associated
with the forward wave. Whether you call that a
reflection or not, the fact that the forward
power equals the source power plus the reflected
power tells us that reflected power being dissipated
in the source would violate the conservation of
energy principle.

where does the reflected power go?

Power doesn't flow so
reflected power doesn't "go" anywhere. It is the
reflected energy that is flowing, i.e. going
somewhere. If the power were flowing, its
dimensions would be joules/sec/sec. Maybe
you would like to try to explain the physical
meaning of those dimensions?

Does it enter the generator?

forward power = source power + reflected power

A component of the forward energy is equal in
magnitude to the reflected energy so no, it
doesn't enter the source.

Is it dissipated somewhere?

Not during steady-state. During steady-state it
is being used for impedance transformation. After
steady-state, it is dissipated either in the
source or in the load as a traveling wave.

Answers to these questions will quickly lead to
doubts about the *reality* of "reflected power".

Reflected power is the Poynting vector associated
with the reflected wave. It exists at a point. It's
average magnitude (indirectly measured by a Bird) is
Re(ExH*)/2. It's direction is the direction of the
flow of reflected energy.

If you don't believe in reflected energy, let your
fingers become the circulator load resistor for
an open-circuit stub being driven by a KW source.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Roger Sparks January 27th 08 03:57 PM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

Keith Dysart wrote:
[...]

Yes, only the model I use substitutes a battery for the signal generator that you are using. The returning wave can recharge the battery, but how does the current stop? Or does it ever stop? From a practical aspect, the current must stop, but I can not explain how except by resistance that absorbs the circulating power.

We must keep the limitations of our models in mind.

When the generator is matched to the line so that
the reflected wave does not encounter an impedance
discontinuity when it arrives back at the generator
(and therefore is not reflected), where does the
reflected power go?
Does it enter the generator?
Is it dissipated somewhere?

Answers to these questions will quickly lead to
doubts about the *reality* of "reflected power".

...Keith

The reflected wave that does not encounter an impedance at the generator must be on an infinitely long line, and therefore the conditions must have changed between the time of launch and return.

It makes more sense to think that the reflected voltage of (using your example) 50v meets 50v of forward voltage, and therefore finds an infinite resistance, coming to a stop.

If that happens, doesn't the same condition occur as soon as the reflected wave is first generated at the line end? The current really stops as soon as the end is reached, with the energy contained in the magnetic field converted to electric field energy visible as voltage. If this happened, the reflected wave could be better described as an electric "jump", similar to a hydraulic jump found in open channel flow of liquids, where kinetic energy is converted to potential energy.

This idea of an electric "jump" requires not a reflection occuring without a discontinuity, but a moving wave front that absorbs the traveling wave, bringing it to a stop (in this case).

--
73, Roger, W7WKB

John Passaneau January 27th 08 04:10 PM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

Cecil Moore wrote in news:mO0nj.4140$J41.257
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

Keith Dysart wrote:
[...]

Food for thought!

There is no such thing as DC! How’s that you say? You have to turn it on
sometime and someday you may turn it off. There for, DC is just very low
frequency AC.

As another example of physics over thinking, I once had a physics
professor describe in detail how an electric motor works using Quark
physics. Very interesting but it has no practical value in using electric
motors. Much like this long thread has nothing much to do with antennas.

John Passaneau W3JXP

Richard Harrison January 27th 08 05:54 PM

Roy Lewallen wrote:
"A better reason to avoid "stored" is that power isn`t stored at all,
anywhere. Anyone who believes so should be able to tell us how many
watts are stored in a 50 Ah, 12 volt battery."

The 50 Ah of energy stored in a battery may be withdrawn at a rate
determined by the load, so it is a variable.

Velocity in a transmission line is a constant determined by
constructtion of the line. Thus, energy stored in the line is determined
by its length, voltage, current, and phase angle. These predict the rate
of energy transfer (power).

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Suzy January 27th 08 06:06 PM

"JOHN PASSANEAU" wrote in message

There is no such thing as DC! How's that you say? You have to turn it on
sometime and someday you may turn it off. There for, DC is just very low
frequency AC.

John Passaneau W3JXP

That's false reasoning OM! Alternating current is not the same as
discontinuous current. In the example you provide, a DC supply is either off
or on; it does not reverse polarity! You do not make AC by switching on and
off DC, even at 50 Hz (or your 60 Hz)

Richard Harrison January 27th 08 06:46 PM

Suzy wrote:
"You do not make AC by switching on and off DC, even at 50 Hz (or your
60 Hz)"

Not without inductance to provide the missing half cycle. Remember
vibrator supplies and their solid-state equivalents?

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Roy Lewallen January 27th 08 08:41 PM

Richard Harrison wrote:
Roy Lewallen wrote:
"A better reason to avoid "stored" is that power isn`t stored at all,
anywhere. Anyone who believes so should be able to tell us how many
watts are stored in a 50 Ah, 12 volt battery."

The 50 Ah of energy stored in a battery may be withdrawn at a rate
determined by the load, so it is a variable.

Ah is a unit of charge, not energy. The battery, making the simplifying
(and invalid) assumption of constant voltage during discharge, contains
2.16 Mj of energy.

Velocity in a transmission line is a constant determined by
constructtion of the line. Thus, energy stored in the line is determined
by its length, voltage, current, and phase angle. These predict the rate
of energy transfer (power).

So the rate at which a transmission line transfers energy depends on its
length? If I put 100 watts into a one wavelength cable and get 100 watts
out, will I get 200 watts out if I extend the cable to two wavelengths?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Roy Lewallen January 27th 08 08:45 PM

Suzy wrote:
"JOHN PASSANEAU" wrote in message
There is no such thing as DC! How's that you say? You have to turn it on
sometime and someday you may turn it off. There for, DC is just very low
frequency AC.

John Passaneau W3JXP

That's false reasoning OM! Alternating current is not the same as
discontinuous current. In the example you provide, a DC supply is either off
or on; it does not reverse polarity! You do not make AC by switching on and
off DC, even at 50 Hz (or your 60 Hz)

But through the techniques of linear circuit analysis, we can split the
pulsed DC into two components, a pure steady DC component and a
symmetrical AC component. We can do two separate analyses with the two
(AC and DC) excitations, and sum the results. The answer will be exactly
the same as if we had done the calculations directly. One can then
reasonably claim that the switched DC is the sum of an AC waveform and a
pure DC component.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Roy Lewallen January 27th 08 11:26 PM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

Arrgh! I did it again!

Roy Lewallen wrote:

Ah is a unit of charge, not energy. The battery, making the simplifying
(and invalid) assumption of constant voltage during discharge, contains
2.16 Mj of energy.

That's 2.16 MJ, not Mj.

It'll sink in eventually . . .I hope.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Richard Harrison January 28th 08 07:05 AM

Roy Lewallen wrote:
"Ah is a unit of charge, not energy."

The most common 12-volt battery is the lead-acid storage battery used in
automobiles. It should not be allowed to become completely discharged
nor to remain less than fully charged for a long time. The battery`s
capacity is rated in amperes x hours. The discharge rate is assumed to
be 8 hours. Slower discharges can be supported for more ampere-hours and
faster discharges likely won`t meet the rated ampere-hour product.

A 50 Ah battery would be expected to deliver about 6.25 A for a period
of 8 hours provided its electrolyte does not rise to more than 110
degrees F. 2-volt cells can be discharged down to 1.75 volts per cell
or a voltage of 10.5 volts for the 6 cells of a 12-volt battery.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Richard Harrison January 28th 08 07:31 AM

Roy Lewallen wrote:
"So the rate at which a transmission line transfers energy depends on
its length?"

No, it depends on the power fed into the line.

Storage in the line depends on its length, plus the incident and
reflected energies per unit length of the line. Velocity is fixed by
construction of the line so a slow velocity factor allows more energy
storage as the source energy output is constant and independent of the
line`s velocity factor.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Keith Dysart[_2_] January 28th 08 12:31 PM

On Jan 27, 9:45*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
Keith Dysart wrote:
Not at all. The equations don't just stop working at 0 frequency.

As a matter of fact, EM waves cannot exist without
photons. There is zero wave activity at DC. Therefore,
the forward power and reflected power is zero at DC
steady-state.

And yet all the circuit theory derivations of reflection
coefficient, power, voltage and current distributions
work just fine for DC (or, if you prefer, low rate pulses).

Digital designers use exactly that for solving real world
problems. They do not refuse to solve problems when the
conditions approach DC. The equations all work.

You really should try to stop thinking about photons
for just a short while.

Yep, you guys would like to sweep the technical knowledge
from the field of optical physics and quantum electro-
dynamics under the rug. One wonders why.

An intriguing accusation. Transmission lines can be
understood well, and real world problems solved without
reference to photons and EM waves. Just use the well
known circuit theory based equations. And they extend
all the way to DC.

For those who like EM waves and photons... Why do you
want to limit yourselves? Why won't you use the circuit
theory bases equations to solve problems for which they
work? Just because EM waves and photons do not?

Think of it as a long pulse. That should satisfy your
need to have 'waves'.

No, only photons will satisfy the definition of EM
waves. There are no photons. There are no waves. There
are no forward and reflected powers. There are no
changing E-fields or H-fields. There is not even any
movement of electrons associated with the source
voltage.

May be true. But why do you want to use that as an excuse
not to solve solveable problems?

...Keith

Keith Dysart[_2_] January 28th 08 12:45 PM

On Jan 27, 10:26*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
Keith Dysart wrote:
When the generator is matched to the line so that
the reflected wave does not encounter an impedance
discontinuity when it arrives back at the generator
(and therefore is not reflected), ...

On the contrary, it is redistributed back toward
the load in the process of destructive interference
and becomes constructive interference associated
with the forward wave. Whether you call that a
reflection or not, the fact that the forward
power equals the source power plus the reflected
power tells us that reflected power being dissipated
in the source would violate the conservation of
energy principle.

Unfortunately, this is quite wrong. And I continue to
be surprised that you argue that there is a reflection
where there is not an impedance discontinuity.

Some parts of the rest of your post are correct by
coincidence, but since the underlying premise of
reflections where there is no discontinuity is
incorrect, I have snipped it.

But this debate has been had before. You do not want
to understand how the output impedance of a generator
affects a returning signal. I have offerred references
and you have refused to look. I have offerred spice
simulations, and you have refused to look. When the
discussion moves to simpler generators so that the
behaviour can be studied, you will declare them
uninteresting because they do not represent "real
ham transmitters". You will make jokes about 10 cent
resistors, not realizing that is how real test
equipment prevents re-reflection. (How well would
a TDR work, if any substantial amount of the return
was reflected?)

When you decide that you do not want to argue that
reflections occur where there is no impedance
discontinuity, and are willing to study output
immpedance, the learning can begin.

...Keith

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 28th 08 03:56 PM

Keith Dysart wrote:
Transmission lines can be
understood well, and real world problems solved without
reference to photons and EM waves.

If that were true, we would not be having this
argument. The real world problem is - where does
the reflected EM energy go? Since you have not "solved
that real world problem", your methods are suspect.

OTOH, optical physicists solved that same problem
long before any of us were born.

Why won't you use the circuit
theory bases equations to solve problems for which they
work?

The main reason not to use your methods is that you use
them to arrive at wrong concepts. EM waves cannot exist
without energy. If there exists no EM wave energy, there
are no EM waves. If EM waves exist, they are necessarily
associated with energy and momentum, both of which must
be conserved. The amount of that energy flowing past a
measurement point/plane in a unit-time is the power
(density) associated with the reflected wave. Even the
energy and momentum of a single photon can be calculated.

Any length of transmission line with reflections contains
exactly the amount of energy necessary to support the
forward and reflected waves. That amount of energy exists
in the transmission line and is not delivered to the load
during steady-state.

Because your model doesn't tell you where the reflected
energy goes, you assume there is zero energy in reflected
waves. Again, I challenge you to use your fingers to
replace the reflected power circulator load in a system
with a KW source driving an open-circuit. That shock therapy
will, no doubt, change your mind about the non-existence of
reflected power.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 28th 08 04:30 PM

Keith Dysart wrote:
Unfortunately, this is quite wrong. And I continue to
be surprised that you argue that there is a reflection
where there is not an impedance discontinuity.

Since an absence of reflections violates the conservation
of energy principle, there is something wrong with your
assertion and your earlier example was proved to contain
a contradiction.

Psource = Pfor - Pref = Pload

Pfor = Psource + Pref = Pload + Pref

Those equations are true only if reflected energy
does not flow back into the source. I suspect that,
contrary to your assertions, the actual real-world
source presents an infinite impedance to reflected
waves.

When you decide that you do not want to argue that
reflections occur where there is no impedance
discontinuity, ...

You simply fail to recognize the impedance
discontinuity.

Please perform the following experiment to prove
there is no impedance discontinuity and no distortion
and get back to us.

zero ohm
TV RCVR--+--TV source--+--Z0 stub----------open

Z0 source impedance resistor

GND

The source output goes into the stub. Reflections
occur at the open end of the stub and flow back
through the zero impedance source to be dissipated
in the Z0 source resistor and displayed without
distortion on the TV RCVR. If what you say is true,
it should be duck soup for you to prove.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Richard Harrison January 28th 08 05:45 PM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

Keith Dysert wrote:
"(How well would a TDR worh, if any substantial amount of return was
reflected?)"

A properly terminated line does not make reflections. I would imagine
multiple reflections on an oscilloscope produce the same smear as as
they do on TV.

TDR is suggested for monitoring bridge integrity and performance. Where
was it when we needed it? TDRs are likely cheaper than replacing all the
questionable bridges.

TDR is used to determine the characteristics of electrical lines by
observing reflected waveforms.Tektronnix is a leader with its "I
Connect" software. Roy can likely describe it. Agilent suggests TDR is
the most general approach to evaluating the time domain response of any
electromagnetic system is to solve Maxwell`s equations in the time
domain. The foregoing is courtesy of Wikipedia. The incoherent structure
of the last sentence was theirs too.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Richard Harrison January 28th 08 10:18 PM

Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

Roger Sparks wrote:
"It is not too hard to use the concept of traveling waves to derive the
familiar reflection coefficient to SWR relationship."

Yes. Terman has done it for us in his 1955 opus. He just uses the letter
S to represent SWR.

On page 86:
"The voltage and current of the incident wave at the load must satisfy
Eq. (4-8) =
Eprime / Iprime = Zo."

And at the top of page 86:
"The reflected wave.----is identical with the incident wave except that
it is traveling toward the generator. Eq. (4-11) =
Edouble prime / Idouble prime = -Zo."

"The load voltage is the sum of the voltages of the incident and
reflected waves at the load,....
The load current is the sum of the currents of the incident and
reflected waves at the load,....
The vector ratio EL / IL must equal the load impedance ZL."

"The vector ratio E2 / E1 of the voltage of the reflected wave to the
voltage of the incident wave at the load is termed the reflection
coefficient of the load.

Reflection coefficient = rho = E2/E1 =
(ZL/Zo)-1 / (ZL/Zo)+1."

And on page 97:
"Standing-wave ratio = S = Emax/Emin, Eq.(4-20)
And: S= [E1] + [E2] / [E1] - [E2], Eq. (4-21)"

The standing-wave ratio S is one means of expressing the magnitude of
the reflection coefficient; the exact relation between the two is S =
1+[rho] / 1- [rho]

or [rho] = S-1 / S +1
This relationship is illustrated graphically in Fig. 4-9.

Best regards, Richard Harrrison, KB5WZI