Old March 9th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Unused Antenna Port ?

Hello,

I will be using a single antenna going to an A/B switch so I can feed the
antenna to either one of two Scanners (receive only).

Apparently the switch does Not ground the unused port.

Was wondering if having the scanners antenna input jack just "floating"
while the unit is off has the potential for damaging the radio ?

I guess I should also ask the corollary: If the unused scanner is turned On
accidentally, and the port is floating as before, any potential liklihood of
damage for this case ?

Guess I am worried about static buildups, etc.

Thanks,
Bob

Old March 9th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 13:44:49 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Guess I am worried about static buildups, etc.

Hi Bob,

It is no worse than connected to an antenna (when you come to think of
it, is kind of an open in its own right).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 9th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Robert11" wrote in
:

Hello,

I will be using a single antenna going to an A/B switch so I can feed
the antenna to either one of two Scanners (receive only).

Apparently the switch does Not ground the unused port.

Was wondering if having the scanners antenna input jack just
"floating" while the unit is off has the potential for damaging the
radio ?

I guess I should also ask the corollary: If the unused scanner is
turned On accidentally, and the port is floating as before, any
potential liklihood of damage for this case ?

Like Richard says, most antennas are rather like an "open" circuit,
too, in this regard. If you're concerned about static buildup on those
Receive only antenna inputs, you might consider putting a 1M ohm
resistor across the antenna inputs to chassis ground.

Ed K7AAT