Old March 20th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Directional antenna in the 215 to 218 MHz band

Hi Folks:

I'm looking to make a directional antenna in the 215 to 218 MHz band (215 if
that's too broad), used for location of dementia patients who have wandered
away from their caregivers. I'm a volunteer with an organization that
locates these people. They wear a tiny transmitter which emits a chirp that
can be heard from 1-2 miles on the ground and 8-10 miles via helicopter.

I'm somewhat new to the program, and I'd like to do some investigation on my
own regarding antenna types that would be useful, and I hope you'll all
grant me a few questions.

My needs are this.... the antenna must be as directional as possible. It
must be most efficient in the 215 to 218 MHz band 215 is what our patients
are on right now, though after we fill up that range we have licensed
through 218 MHz. It must be easy for an individual to carry, and portable
enough to carry through any type of terrain. It must be shaped in such a
way that it's relatively safe and easy to use in an enclosed area, either in
a helicopter or a car. Currently the agency is using a 4 element Yagi,
which works well, but has the drawback of being a real eye-poker when used
in close quarters, and in fact the California Highway Patrol will not allow
them to be used in their helicopters because of that reason.

One of our Search & Rescue guys built his own 4 element Quad Yagi out of
some 1/2" PVC pipe and other parts that are readily available at any Home
Depot. It has greater sensitivity than our stock antenna, and the CHP has
said that it's OK to use in their helicopters. Rather than 4 horizontal
straight beams it has 4 squarish beams, with no points to poke people's eyes
out. I'm still waiting to get the plans from him for that antenna, and I
though that in the meantime I'd ask in here if any of you had some
interesting leads for me to follow.

Many thanks!

Old March 20th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Clarification:

216 MHz is what we're using now. We're getting away from 215 because of
interference with digital TV.

Old March 20th 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 05:44:50 GMT, "usmcbrat"
wrote:

My needs are this.... the antenna must be as directional as possible. It
must be most efficient in the 215 to 218 MHz band 215 is what our patients
are on right now, though after we fill up that range we have licensed
through 218 MHz. It must be easy for an individual to carry, and portable
enough to carry through any type of terrain. It must be shaped in such a
way that it's relatively safe and easy to use in an enclosed area, either in
a helicopter or a car. Currently the agency is using a 4 element Yagi,
which works well, but has the drawback of being a real eye-poker when used
in close quarters, and in fact the California Highway Patrol will not allow
them to be used in their helicopters because of that reason.

Hi USMCbrat,

Research the Google newsgroups (for this newsgroup specifically)
archive with the keyword "foxhunt." There are more issues than just
directionality to be considered.

ARMYbrat Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 22nd 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Richard Clark" wrote in message Research the Google
newsgroups (for this newsgroup specifically)
archive with the keyword "foxhunt." There are more issues than just
directionality to be considered.

ARMYbrat Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Thanks ARMYbrat. This USMCbrat appreciates it, and everything else!

Most of what I've found thus far is about the same as what we're currently
using, which is a flat 4 element Yagi. I may not be versed enough to
describe the plans I'm looking for, but when I find them I'll post here.

The antenna I'm looking for is perhaps better described as a 4 element Box
or Cube Yagi where the frame is built of 1/2 inch PCV and the elements are
fairly heavy guage wire. There's no sharp points to hurt someone's eye,
which is frowned upon by the California Highway Patrol for use in their
helicopters. There's a guy that I trained with who has the plans and hasn't
yet gotten back to me with them, but I'll be persistent and let people here
know when I get the plans.

Old March 22nd 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"usmcbrat" wrote in message

[...]

Search Google with "cubical quad" and you'll find what you want, I think.
There are even some calculators for this type antenna listed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_antenna

73,
John

Old March 27th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"usmcbrat" wrote in message
..I'll be persistent and let people here

know when I get the plans.

I still don't have "plans", but here's a picture. Turns out it was a 3
element. My apologies for such an inaccurate memory.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5...ining1shk5.jpg

Old March 27th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"usmcbrat" wrote in message

"usmcbrat" wrote in message
..I'll be persistent and let people here

know when I get the plans.

I still don't have "plans", but here's a picture. Turns out it was a 3
element. My apologies for such an inaccurate memory.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5...ining1shk5.jpg

Hi "UMC"
Is it practical to mount the antenna outside toe helicopter? I once
designed an antenna system for military helicopter VHF homing. I used two
dipoles made of foil taped to the plastic windshield. It worked. The idea
was/is simple, but you'd need to build a seperate electronic device to go
between the antenna and the receiver. And, you'd (of course) need to
manuver the helicopter rather than twist/turn the antenna, because, the
helicopter would be the antenna.

Jerry KD6JDJ

Old March 27th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I still don't have "plans", but here's a picture. *Turns out it was a 3
element. *My apologies for such an inaccurate memory.

How about a small Yagi made with "rubber duckies"?

Mark
Old March 28th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jerry" wrote in message
Is it practical to mount the antenna outside toe helicopter? I once
designed an antenna system for military helicopter VHF homing. I used
two dipoles made of foil taped to the plastic windshield. It worked.
The idea was/is simple, but you'd need to build a seperate electronic
device to go between the antenna and the receiver. And, you'd (of
course) need to manuver the helicopter rather than twist/turn the antenna,
because, the helicopter would be the antenna.

Hi Jerry:

I guess if the helicopter was specifically part of the searching agency then
you could do something like that. I'm not sure if they'd ever do that. The
choppers and pilots are usually "on loan" from whatever agency is available
to help when someone's lost. The CHP has some, most Sheriff's departments,
Feds, Military, State Police, etc. When a person is lost, people seem to
come out of the woodwork with the desire to help. That often includes
agencies that own helicopters.

While I'm now a certified trainer because of my classroom time, I'm still a
brand-newbie to search and rescue, and have never been on a "real" search
for a missing person. I've located hidden transmitters on dozens of
occasions, either hidden on a person who was part of the training, or just
plain hidden. If I can get within a couple of miles of one of the
transmitters I can normally go straight to it, even if it's down a
drainpipe, under a bridge, or behind the coffee maker in a restaurant... it
doesn't really matter much where it is located.

More of our training is related to understanding people with Alzheimer's and
other forms of dementia than is related to actual radio work, and rightfully
so. There's much to study on the human side of it. One of my greatest
fears now is that I'll search for a person who is at a significant danger of
being injured and is lost in a giant crowd of people, and they don't want to
be found. I feel uncomfortable "pointing" the antenna around crowds of
people for obvious social and psychological reasons. An example might be
someone "lost" in Time's Square on New Years Eve.... the very thought
shivers me timbers!

Luckily, being from Central California, I'll be much more likely to be
searching orange groves than giant crowds. Interestingly, orange groves
absorb a signal much more than I had thought they would, and, the signal
propagates much better down the rows than across the rows. The trees were
laden with oranges and I could barely hear a signal from one of our guys who
was purposely trying to avoid us. He was literally 5 or 6 rows in (across)
and I could hardly hear the signal. Once we got to the end of the grove and
got to look down the rows, the signal jumped.

Thanks again for all of your help!

MB

Old March 21st 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Do a search for "tape measure antenna". It is a simple to build yagi
antenna made of pvc pipe with elements made from a metal measuring
tape. You can rescale it to your frequency.

Kingfish

wrote:

[...]

Directional antenna - recomendation Doug Smith W9WI Dx 0 December 3rd 05 04:12 PM
Antenna directional Rich Swap 0 March 27th 05 05:33 AM
Directional antenna Peter Antenna 1 February 29th 04 12:32 AM
Directional antenna wanted. Peter Jason Antenna 1 October 20th 03 06:10 PM
Small Directional Antenna Ron Antenna 5 September 4th 03 12:04 AM