Old March 20th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Strange Antenna challenge Memorial Day - need suggestions

I'm looking for suggestions for the Strange Antenna Challenge this
Memorial Day week-end. One guy used a pair of back-to-back trucks to
make a dipole, and one guy loaded up a sports stadium. A group in
Atlanta used an Extension Ladder on 20M and that worked well, but that
seems a little less strange than I'd like. It almost looks like a
regular antenna when it's standing straight up.

I want something that doesn't look like an antenna (one guy suggested
hoisting a BBQ grill into the trees, but I'm sure that wouldn't work
well on 20M). I want something that can be adjusted to be somewhat
near resonance without a tuner.

Ideas?

Eric
Old March 20th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Eric wrote:
Ideas?

Gamma match a tree.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 20th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:34:22 -0700 (PDT), Eric
wrote:

I want something that doesn't look like an antenna (one guy suggested
hoisting a BBQ grill into the trees, but I'm sure that wouldn't work
well on 20M).

The grill no, but the tree, probably (why skip the obvious in both
strange AND doable?).

I want something that can be adjusted to be somewhat
near resonance without a tuner.

Then it wouldn't be strange - would it?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 20th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

From: Buck
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Subject: Stealth Loop antenna
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:30:34 -0400

This is an interesting antenna. It is a mobile stealth magnetic loop
antenna.

http://stealth.ae/plugins/custompage...categories=136

I watched the video and checked out the details. The antenna is
basically a loop with the roof of the car (the bottom of the luggage
rack) as the ground side of the loop, the antenna goes up, folds over
the top and back down to the other side of the roof where it feeds
thru a high voltage vacuum variable capacitor back to ground.

---------------------------
| |
|_ |
| |( coax conx) = Capacitor
| -|_____________|
^ (roof)
^
(feed)

I am not as good an artist as some of you, but here is my graphic
The coax feeds with a gamma? and is tuned by a stepper motor tuning
the vacuum variable cap. Depending on which of the three models, it
operates from 1.5-10 MHz, 2.7-15.5 MHz, or 4.5-22 MHz at up to 150
watts.

The technical notes have more interesting details:
http://stealth.ae/plugins/custompage...cles.php?id=10

It seems to me a homebrew version could be made for base use such as
for those in restricted homes. Placed on the peak of the house, the
ground side could be a wire across the top of the peak and the loop
lift up during use so it would not attract too much attention to the
neighbors.

I wonder what the size and cost of the Vacuum variable is to make a
similar antenna??

Buck
N4PGW
--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."

My antenna at NB6GC is an Aircraft Carrier.

Ken Fowler, KO6NO
Old March 21st 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 20, 7:38 pm, "Ken Fowler" wrote:

My antenna at NB6GC is an Aircraft Carrier.

That sounds interesting but I don't think there are many of them in
Atlanta!

Are you in the Navy? Do you have a link for some pictures?

Eric

Old March 21st 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

From: Eric
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:38:06 -0700 (PDT)

posting-account=QOYPGwoAAACUkIyf4nCRirViFssPwprQ

http://www.qsl.net/nb6gc/index.html
Old March 21st 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message
,
Eric writes
I'm looking for suggestions for the Strange Antenna Challenge this
Memorial Day week-end. One guy used a pair of back-to-back trucks to
make a dipole, and one guy loaded up a sports stadium. A group in
Atlanta used an Extension Ladder on 20M and that worked well, but that
seems a little less strange than I'd like. It almost looks like a
regular antenna when it's standing straight up.

I want something that doesn't look like an antenna (one guy suggested
hoisting a BBQ grill into the trees, but I'm sure that wouldn't work
well on 20M). I want something that can be adjusted to be somewhat
near resonance without a tuner.

I've always wondered how well this would get out loaded up on Top Band

http://www.firstcity.force9.co.uk/newgallery/out1.htm

73 Brian GM4DIJ
--
Brian Howie
Old March 24th 08, 01:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 21, 2:50 pm, Brian Howie wrote:

I've always wondered how well this would get out loaded up on Top Band

http://www.firstcity.force9.co.uk/newgallery/out1.htm

I'm afraid the homeland security people would want to talk to you
about that! They tend to get excitied about wires and electronic
equipment near bridges.

But it certainly does have an impressive array of vertical radiators.
It would be quite directional, so hopefully there are some good DX
stations off the ends of this.

Eric
Old March 25th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 20, 1:34*pm, Eric wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions for the Strange Antenna Challenge this
Memorial Day week-end. One guy used a pair of back-to-back trucks to
make a dipole, and one guy loaded up a sports stadium. A group in
Atlanta used an Extension Ladder on 20M and that worked well, but that
seems a little less strange than I'd like. It almost looks like a
regular antenna when it's standing straight up.

I want something that doesn't look like an antenna (one guy suggested
hoisting a BBQ grill into the trees, but I'm sure that wouldn't work
well on 20M). I want something that can be adjusted to be somewhat
near resonance without a tuner.

Ideas?

Eric

Things automotive seem to be favored. How about an exhaust system for
a radiator and a coil spring for a loading coil.

Jimmie
Old March 28th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 25, 10:57*am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 20, 1:34*pm, Eric wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions for the Strange Antenna Challenge this
Memorial Day week-end. One guy used a pair of back-to-back trucks to
make a dipole, and one guy loaded up a sports stadium. A group in
Atlanta used an Extension Ladder on 20M and that worked well, but that
seems a little less strange than I'd like. It almost looks like a
regular antenna when it's standing straight up.

I want something that doesn't look like an antenna (one guy suggested
hoisting a BBQ grill into the trees, but I'm sure that wouldn't work
well on 20M). I want something that can be adjusted to be somewhat
near resonance without a tuner.

Ideas?

Eric

Things automotive seem to be favored. How about an exhaust system for
a radiator and a coil spring for a loading coil.

Jimmie

Then we could sit on the car to tune it! We may have to call a bunch
of friends over, or else we could chow down on the hamburgers and
potatoe salad!

Eric

Gilliand/Tnom X-Terminator Antenna Challenge [email protected] CB 1 January 29th 06 09:03 PM
strange antenna Keith Hosman KC8TCQ CB 7 November 27th 04 11:15 PM
HE3RSI: An antenna simulation challenge C.Aymon Antenna 2 November 26th 04 11:32 PM
DIY Omni TV receiver antenna challenge Angelo Guarino Antenna 4 November 8th 04 08:40 AM
Strange Antenna in old 73 magazine ? Jeff Antenna 33 July 21st 04 02:40 AM