Old April 3rd 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default W2AU Balun - 1:1 or 4:1

I have been given a W2AU balun. It is an older one with no markings
other than W2AU BALUN on it. I am not sure which model it is, 1:1 or
4:1, but I am guessing it is 4:1.

The balun has a metal bar that goes from the ground screw of the
SO-239 connector to the support eyelet on the top of the balun.

It is 6 inches long with about 1.5 inch diameter tubing. It has three
eyelets, one on top and one on each side of the top for the dipole
wires.

Can anyone confirm what I have here?

thanks

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."
Old April 3rd 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I can't say whether it's 4:1 or 1:1, but it fits the description of a
1:1 W2AU balun I got long ago. I think they might have changed the
design somewhere along the line, but the one I have is a voltage balun.
A 1:1 voltage balun measures a short circuit across the two input
terminals or two output terminals; a 1:1 current balun will read open.
If it's a 4:1, it's very likely a voltage balun, but both voltage and
current 4:1 baluns will show a DC short across the terminals. The only
way I know of to determine whether it's a 1:1 or 4:1 is either to use
something like an antenna analyzer, or connect the output to a 50 ohm
dummy load and look at the SWR at the input side. If it's a 4:1 balun,
the SWR will probably be at least 4:1, and likely higher.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old April 4th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I measured the terminals. they are short together and short to the
coax shield and short to the coax center.

Thanks for the input.
Buck

Old April 4th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Look at these photos for INSIGHT

http://www.the-s38-guy.com/Page_76.html

http://www.the-s38-guy.com/Page_78.html

Old April 4th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Buck" wrote in message
I have been given a W2AU balun. It is an older one with no markings
other than W2AU BALUN on it. I am not sure which model it is, 1:1 or
4:1, but I am guessing it is 4:1.

The balun has a metal bar that goes from the ground screw of the
SO-239 connector to the support eyelet on the top of the balun.

It is 6 inches long with about 1.5 inch diameter tubing. It has three
eyelets, one on top and one on each side of the top for the dipole
wires.

Can anyone confirm what I have here?

thanks

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

Terminate it with 50 Ohms and put it on an antenna analyzer- if it reads a
low VSWR, it's 1:1. If not, try 200 Ohms- if that reads low then it's 4:1.
Dale W4OP

SWL Newbies : The Magnetic Long-Wire Antenna Balun - A Balun It Ain't RHF Shortwave 0 March 29th 08 05:23 PM
Balun Use/Need Richard Fry Antenna 13 January 22nd 05 09:07 PM
SWL Balun JEFF UK Antenna 4 January 30th 04 02:34 PM
Horizontal loop - balun or no balun ? Per Enocson Antenna 5 December 14th 03 01:28 AM
Balun JJ Shortwave 43 August 7th 03 07:21 PM