Old July 7th 03, 06:20 PM
JJ

Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL wrote:

If you still want a balun, buy a one to one balun for the dipole
or just make a coax balun, coil seven to ten turns of coax six inches in
diameter.

That makes an RF choke, not a balun. There is no real advantage
for a balun on an antenna just for receiving.

Old July 7th 03, 08:09 PM
Michalkun

Default Balun

How does one can determine the impendance of a wire to get the right balun
for it, so it can be hooked up to the coaxial cable?
Old July 7th 03, 09:40 PM
N8KDV

Michalkun wrote:

How does one can determine the impendance of a wire to get the right balun
for it, so it can be hooked up to the coaxial cable?

I give up. I surrender to the Taliban, Al Quaaaaaida, AMANDX, or whomever....

Sign me up for the retard DX'er Association...

To many here cain't read, do a Google search or just plain understand... No
wonder there are no DX'ers here...

I'm outta here... I'm leavin ya all... portable totin' lot that ya are...

Adios.....

Old July 7th 03, 11:07 PM
Lionel Carter

I would also be interested in the answer.
My impression is that particular balums are used purely on a custom and
practice basis and 'suck it and see'. I have not seen any guide to measuring
the rf resistance/impedance of a throw out or long wire antenna.
If someone doesn't answer your question the chances are they don't know
either.

Lionel Carter

.251...

Old July 8th 03, 12:22 AM
The Axelrods

Michalkun wrote:

How does one can determine the impendance of a wire to get the right balun
for it, so it can be hooked up to the coaxial cable?

From what i have been told long wires and beverage antennas in particular can
have more than one impedance as u tune across the bands. So an antenna may be
say 200 ohms at one frequency high up but 500 ohms on a low band. Not sure why
but that was what i have been told. It was recommended I try a 8 to 1 or 9 to
1 balun for the AM band.

Some places sell a magnetic type balun that is supposed to cover all bands and
impedances but have never used one so not sure how they work. Universal Radio
had a model

--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old July 8th 03, 08:07 AM
N8KDV

JJ wrote:

Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL wrote:

If you still want a balun, buy a one to one balun for the dipole
or just make a coax balun, coil seven to ten turns of coax six inches in
diameter.

That makes an RF choke, not a balun. There is no real advantage
for a balun on an antenna just for receiving.

Indeed, but Anna begins to toss and turn...

I must attend to her....

You must understand...

Old July 8th 03, 01:52 PM
JJ

Mark S. Holden wrote:
"Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL" wrote:

Cut your antenna to the frequency or band of choice. Listen with the
balun in, then listen without it. I'll bet you won't be able to tell a
difference. In fact, there will even be a little loss in the balun.
The point I'm trying to make is, Cut your antenna to the frequency you
want for best performance and you won't need to waste money and time
building baluns.

KB7ADL

The typical SWL listens on several bands so they'd need more antennas.

I guestimate my cost for a 9:1 transformer at about $2. I probably spend about half an hour making and installing one.

You can't buy a remote RF switch or very much coax for $2.

Also, I find the ferrite greatly reduces RFI that is brought back to the antenna on the shield of the coax.

For receiving a balun is of little value. For a certain length of
antenna there is one wavelength that gives the ratio at which the
balun is designed for. When you go to different wavelengths then
the antenna shows a different impedance and the balun may do more
harm than good. The best bet for the SW listener who usually uses
a long wire antenna, is an antenna tuner to match the receiver to
varying impedances.

Old July 8th 03, 04:49 PM
Dale Parfitt

JJ wrote:

Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL wrote:

If you still want a balun, buy a one to one balun for the dipole
or just make a coax balun, coil seven to ten turns of coax six inches in
diameter.

That makes an RF choke, not a balun. There is no real advantage
for a balun on an antenna just for receiving.

It does make a balun- technically a current mode balun.
And for receiving a balun can make a BIG difference as it prevents the outer
shield of the feedline from picking up noise. As most feeds are vertical and
manmade noise at HF is primarily vertically polarized- the pick up can be
great.

Dale W4OP

Old July 8th 03, 06:49 PM
Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL

Cut your antenna to the frequency or band of choice. Listen with the
balun in, then listen without it. I'll bet you won't be able to tell a
difference. In fact, there will even be a little loss in the balun.
The point I'm trying to make is, Cut your antenna to the frequency you
want for best performance and you won't need to waste money and time
building baluns.

KB7ADL

Dave wrote in news6olgv09n55icmuvb2b4f5hi20fbis7e88@
4ax.com:

Balderdash. A transformer that correctly drives the co-ax is a great
advantage.