Old April 21st 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default SG-230 problem

Hi all

I purchased the SG-230 about 4 years ago. I took it out of its box yesterday
for the first time and tested it out on a light bulb as a dummy load and all
worked fine. It found a match on all HF bands.
I connected it to an antenna today and it would not tune. It would not reset
with the Smartlock. I took the back off the 230 and noticed when I apply the
13.8 Volts all the relays click once and they
all stay in that position until I disconnect the power and if I apply RF,
10-80 watts when the 230 is powered up it does nothing, it doesn't even
attempt to tune.. I have also tried 2 lengths of 10ft wire and it does
nothing.
There are five LED's inside that are all on (green).

Does anyone know what is causing this problem?

73 Andy

Old April 21st 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Andy" wrote in
:

Hi all

I purchased the SG-230 about 4 years ago. I took it out of its box
yesterday for the first time and tested it out on a light bulb as a
dummy load and all worked fine. It found a match on all HF bands.
I connected it to an antenna today and it would not tune. It would not
reset with the Smartlock. I took the back off the 230 and noticed when
I apply the 13.8 Volts all the relays click once and they
all stay in that position until I disconnect the power and if I apply
RF, 10-80 watts when the 230 is powered up it does nothing, it doesn't
even attempt to tune.. I have also tried 2 lengths of 10ft wire and it
does nothing.
There are five LED's inside that are all on (green).

Does anyone know what is causing this problem?

73 Andy

I recommend you email your question to SGC. My recent experience
with them shows they are fairly good at replies to questions, although
you may have to wait a day or two for an answer.
http://www.sgcworld.com

Ed K7AAT

Old April 21st 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Ed,

Just sent an e-mail off to them.

73 Andy

"Ed_G" wrote in message
. 192.196...
"Andy" wrote in
:

Old April 22nd 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ed_G wrote:

I recommend you email your question to SGC. My recent experience
with them shows they are fairly good at replies to questions, although
you may have to wait a day or two for an answer.
http://www.sgcworld.com

Ed K7AAT

I agree. There is also a yahoo Group for Smartuners. It is not
sponsored by SGC but I have found it to be a good source of information.

Good luck and 73,

Tad, K3TD

Old April 22nd 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
Is there any where here in the UK that will repair this coupler?

I have repaired mine a couple of times. The SGC documentation
is very good. Have you checked the four lines between the
Smartlock and the SGC-230? If the notune line (white wire)
is at ground, the tuner is in perpetual reset. The notune
line should be at a plus voltage when the reset button
is not pushed and go to ground when the reset button is
pushed. The digital control portion of the tuner is super
easy to troubleshoot and a good technician should be able
to diagnose and repair minor problems. All of my problems
have been minor and easy to repair.

The most nagging problem was when the tuner wouldn't tune
while my pickup was in motion but would tune just as soon
as I stopped the vehicle. It was a loose nut inside
the box on the output feedthrough insulator.

Have you tried the tuner without Smartlock in the circuit?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 22nd 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Just doubled checked without the Smartlock connected. No change. I did
notice that the braid of the coax where it connects to the terminal inside
had broke off. Re-soldered this and its still the same. This was due to the
big plastic nut on the back being lose and allowing the cable to turn.
I wish I could fix it myself. But I would have to be talked through how to
check the components to see if they were ok or not.

73 Andy

Old April 22nd 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
But I would have to be talked through how to
check the components to see if they were ok or not.

Do you know any fellow hams who are electronic
technicians or engineers, preferably electrical?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 22nd 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
Hi all

I purchased the SG-230 about 4 years ago. I took it out of its box
yesterday for the first time and tested it out on a light bulb as a
dummy load and all worked fine. It found a match on all HF bands.
I connected it to an antenna today and it would not tune. It would
not reset with the Smartlock. I took the back off the 230 and noticed
when I apply the 13.8 Volts all the relays click once and they
all stay in that position until I disconnect the power and if I apply
RF, 10-80 watts when the 230 is powered up it does nothing, it
doesn't even attempt to tune.. I have also tried 2 lengths of 10ft
wire and it does nothing.
There are five LED's inside that are all on (green).

Does anyone know what is causing this problem?

Verify there's a good RF ground connected to the tuner.
Even if you're using some kind of balanced antenna,
my tuners are happier with a little metal on the ground.
I have a simple, 12' piece of braid bolted to the
tuner/transciever cases and simply laying on the sand.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com

I got a big problem LLOYD DAVIES Policy 2 June 9th 06 06:20 PM
What's the problem? AB8MQ General 2 October 6th 05 01:58 PM
What's the problem? AB8MQ General 3 October 5th 05 11:08 PM
Haynie admits to problem, alzheimers victims respond with, "What problem?" John Smith Policy 111 June 23rd 05 01:55 AM
EMI problem... [email protected] Homebrew 3 July 6th 04 06:28 AM