Old April 22nd 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default SG-230 problem

Unfortunately I don't know anyone.
I have been off the air for a long time. After the move to here and having
very good neighbours I am able to get back on the air. Well until the tuner
stopped working.

I did find this PDF doc just now. I have the model after the year 2000.

73 Andy

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Andy wrote:
But I would have to be talked through how to check the components to see
if they were ok or not.

Do you know any fellow hams who are electronic
technicians or engineers, preferably electrical?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old April 23rd 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Anyone know of a shop that could repair my SG-230 coupler here in the UK?
I was told last night that SGC is now over charging there customers for
repairs.

73 Andy

"Lumpy" wrote in message
Andy wrote:
Hi all

I purchased the SG-230 about 4 years ago. I took it out of its box
yesterday for the first time and tested it out on a light bulb as a
dummy load and all worked fine. It found a match on all HF bands.
I connected it to an antenna today and it would not tune. It would
not reset with the Smartlock. I took the back off the 230 and noticed
when I apply the 13.8 Volts all the relays click once and they
all stay in that position until I disconnect the power and if I apply
RF, 10-80 watts when the 230 is powered up it does nothing, it
doesn't even attempt to tune.. I have also tried 2 lengths of 10ft
wire and it does nothing.
There are five LED's inside that are all on (green).

Does anyone know what is causing this problem?

Verify there's a good RF ground connected to the tuner.
Even if you're using some kind of balanced antenna,
my tuners are happier with a little metal on the ground.
I have a simple, 12' piece of braid bolted to the
tuner/transciever cases and simply laying on the sand.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com

Old April 24th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Chris,
I will have a look, but its unlikely to be corrosion due to it being stored
in its box in my cupboard for the lat 4 years. But it might help others.

This might help you though. Some one did tell me once to seal the SG-230
with silica gel after putting some silica gel in side so soak up any
moister. Its those little packets you get inside the box with new electrical
items.

Thanks

"Christopher Cox" wrote in message
Hi Andy,

I had a similar problem with my SG-231. It turned out to be a corrosion
problem in the power/control connector. This made a electrical connection
to be made to the Reset/Hold/Tune leads. There was a little corrosion on
the back side of the circuit board as well. Look up into the male
connector and disassemble the female.

I cleaned up the corrosion problems with a dental pick and fine wire
brush. I resealed the connectors with epoxy. The silicon sealant SGC used
seems to be effected by moisture as it had become milky looking till it
dried out.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Old April 25th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

It looks like some of the SM 3-pin diodes D10, D9, etc have failed. I was
only testing with a 100 watts although it was with a very high SWR at the
time

Do I have to go to SGC for the diodes or is there a replacement that I can
use instead?

73 Andy

Old April 25th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
It looks like some of the SM 3-pin diodes D10, D9, etc have failed. I was
only testing with a 100 watts although it was with a very high SWR at the
time

Do I have to go to SGC for the diodes or is there a replacement that I can
use instead?

My SGC-230 manual says those are 1N4148 high speed
switching diodes which are one of the most popular
diodes of all time. They should be readily available
almost anywhere.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old April 25th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil,

I had a look at the 1N4148, they are 2-pin.

The diodes in mine are Surface mount 3-pin.

Are the 1N4148 diodes for the old version board, before year 2000?

My board is the newer version, after year 2000

73 Andy

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. ..

Old April 25th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
Cecil,

I had a look at the 1N4148, they are 2-pin.

The diodes in mine are Surface mount 3-pin.

Are the 1N4148 diodes for the old version board, before year 2000?

Yes, my manual is copyright 1994.

My board is the newer version, after year 2000

What does your schematic say about those diodes?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 25th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

This is the problem that I have got with my SG-230.
I purchased it new myself. My PCB board is an Q50102000-E. it is what they
call the newer version, after the year 2000.

My manual is a Revised: November 2000. The Document number for the
schematic, Q30102000E Rev: A Dated February 17, 1992. It looks to me to be
the wrong schematic for my PCB board. Maybe some one might know if it is or
not or have the correct one that they can send me?

All it says about the diodes is that they are either D5, D7, D9 etc. It
doesn't say what they are.

Old April 25th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
My manual is a Revised: November 2000. The Document number for the
schematic, Q30102000E Rev: A Dated February 17, 1992. It looks to me to be
the wrong schematic for my PCB board. Maybe some one might know if it is or
not or have the correct one that they can send me?

This one is copyrighted Nov. 2000

www.sgcworld.com/Publications/Manuals/230man.pdf

All it says about the diodes is that they are either D5, D7, D9 etc. It
doesn't say what they are.

Yes, it doesn't say but if it were me, I would replace the
blown diodes with 1N4148's (assuming discrete diodes will
fit in the SMD pad space).
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 25th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Yes, that is exactly the same manual as mine.
How would I connect the 1N4148 2-pin to the 3 pads that are under the SM
3-pin diodes, will this even work?

If it is possible I would have to mount them vertical.

Andy wrote:
My manual is a Revised: November 2000. The Document number for the
schematic, Q30102000E Rev: A Dated February 17, 1992. It looks to me to
be the wrong schematic for my PCB board. Maybe some one might know if it
is or not or have the correct one that they can send me?

This one is copyrighted Nov. 2000

www.sgcworld.com/Publications/Manuals/230man.pdf

All it says about the diodes is that they are either D5, D7, D9 etc. It
doesn't say what they are.

Yes, it doesn't say but if it were me, I would replace the
blown diodes with 1N4148's (assuming discrete diodes will
fit in the SMD pad space).
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

I got a big problem LLOYD DAVIES Policy 2 June 9th 06 06:20 PM
What's the problem? AB8MQ General 2 October 6th 05 01:58 PM
What's the problem? AB8MQ General 3 October 5th 05 11:08 PM
Haynie admits to problem, alzheimers victims respond with, "What problem?" John Smith Policy 111 June 23rd 05 01:55 AM
EMI problem... [email protected] Homebrew 3 July 6th 04 06:28 AM