Old May 4th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Palstar ZM30 or Kuranishi BR-210

I want to buy an antenna analyzer and have narrowed it down to two.

What is the best one to buy from these two, Palstar ZM30 or Kuranishi BR-210
and why?

What are the pro's and con's between these two, if any?

Thanks

Old May 5th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

What can the Palstar ZM30 do that the Kuranishi BR-210 can't do?

I know very little about what Analysers can be used for. So any help and/or
advice is welcome.

73 Andy

Old May 5th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Andy" wrote in message
I want to buy an antenna analyzer and have narrowed it down to two.

What is the best one to buy from these two, Palstar ZM30 or Kuranishi
BR-210 and why?

What are the pro's and con's between these two, if any?

Thanks

Hi Andy

You can get some good comparison of analyzers from PA1ARE
http://homepages.ipact.nl/~pa1are/index.html
You will find good information in his Analyzer section.

Jerry KD6JDJ

Old May 5th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
What can the Palstar ZM30 do that the Kuranishi BR-210 can't do?

I know very little about what Analysers can be used for. So any help and/or
advice is welcome.

========
Using a MFJ259B ( range: 1.8 to 174 MHz) myself I use it regularly for
the following :

1) Finding settings of an antenna matching unit (I prefer NOT to use
the word 'tuner') for the various HF bands.

2) Adjusting VHF antennas (gamma match) for minimum reflected power
(SWR)

3) Determining SWR curve of an antenna within a specific freq range
(part of the technical assessment for the UK Foundation Licence)

4) Determining coax loss

5) Determining inductance of resistors at various frequencies

6) Measuring value of inductors and capacitors at different frequencies

7) Measuring resonant freq of tuned circuits (including self resonance
of inductors /RF chokes)

I find the instrumment invaluable ,even if its accuracy would be debatable.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old May 5th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
What can the Palstar ZM30 do that the Kuranishi BR-210 can't do?

I know very little about what Analysers can be used for. So any help and/or
advice is welcome.

Here's some comparisons based on ARRL data:

http://arraysolutions.com/Products/a...op%20of%20page
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old May 6th 08, 09:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I have done some reading on those web sites and like I said, I am very new
to this. I can't tell from the table figures what is the best ones there and
why.
I don't know enough about the readings in the table to know what they mean.

73 Andy

Old May 6th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
I don't know enough about the readings in the table to know what they mean.

I know what they mean but I am happy with
my MFJ-259B anyway.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old May 6th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
How long does the Ni-Cads take to charge in the MFJ-259B and how long will
they run for?

IMO, Ni-Cads are a royal pain in the neck. Instead,
I use a YUASA gell cell NP1.2-12 at ~$20. I Velcro
it to the MFJ-259B as it has almost the same form
factor. It is easily recharged using an Astron 12v
(13.8v) power supply, i.e. no "battery charger"
required. After using the NP1.2-12 to power the
MFJ-259B, I would NEVER go back to standard batteries.

If one removes the battery holder, the NP1.2-12 will
almost fit inside the MFJ-259B. When I get time, I am
going to modify the MFJ to accomplish that feat. MFJ
missed a selling point by not making the 259B case a
couple of mm larger to accommodate a standard gell cell.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old May 6th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
IMO, Ni-Cads are a royal pain in the neck. Instead,
I use a YUASA gell cell NP1.2-12 at ~$20.

Sorry, my mistake, that is not the battery I use
although it will work. The YUASA battery with the
perfect form factor for the MFJ-259B is the NP2-12
at ~$48. That one failed after many years of use
and I am going to replace it with an NP2.3-12 at
~$29 which is 1.7 times as thick but is higher
capacity and costs 60% as much as the NP2-12.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

WTD: Kuranishi Dev. Meter manual K3HVG Boatanchors 1 August 27th 06 06:54 PM
ZM30 analyzer PA3HGT Antenna 2 February 10th 06 10:47 AM
Palstar R30 Series Lew Rain Shortwave 6 September 8th 04 07:37 AM
f.s. palstar r30 Murata Lemwnash Equipment 0 April 17th 04 12:07 AM