Old May 8th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default How to calculate power handling capability of a gamma match capacitor

Hi,

I am going to build a variable capacitor for a gamma match in the
usual fashion where there is a rod inside a tube by an insulating
tube. I need it to handle legal limit, so how would I go about
*safely* calculating/estimating the power handling capability of what
I have built?

Thanks,
Scott, WU2X

Old May 8th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Scott M wrote:
Hi,

I am going to build a variable capacitor for a gamma match in the
usual fashion where there is a rod inside a tube by an insulating
tube. I need it to handle legal limit, so how would I go about
*safely* calculating/estimating the power handling capability of what
I have built?

Thanks,
Scott, WU2X

Being safe while you do the calculations, or calculating the safe power
handling limit? For the former, which you asked, I suggest sitting in a
chair with proper ergonomic design..grin

But, I suspect what you're really asking is how to go about calculating
the power handling limits of the coaxial structure...
Consider two factors:

1) High voltage breakdown. What's the breakdown strength of your
insulator? If the two tubes are fairly large in diameter, you can
probably approximate the field as the voltage divided by the difference
in radii. Air breakdown is 30kV/cm in a uniform field. If the ratio of
outer to inner diameters is large (so it looks more like coaxial cable),
you might want to use a different formula for fields.

Don't neglect breakdown along the surface of the insulator. If the
"creepage distance" is less than 3 times the free air breakdown
distance, then you've got something to worry about.

2) Thermal limits. How much current is being carried by the inner
conductor? What's the path to somewhere the heat can be dissipated?

For both of these you'll need to model the circuit so you know the
current and voltage across your capacitor.

Old May 8th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Scott M" wrote in message
Hi,

I am going to build a variable capacitor for a gamma match in the
usual fashion where there is a rod inside a tube by an insulating
tube. I need it to handle legal limit, so how would I go about
*safely* calculating/estimating the power handling capability of what
I have built?

Thanks,
Scott, WU2X

do what i do, copy a known design.... the center conductor and insulation
from rg-8 (not foam type) works well and takes full power. cushcraft uses
3/16" aluminum rod inside 1/2" aluminum tubing with something that looks a
lot like rg-8 poly insulation to make a slip fit.

gamma match 70cm handheld Kurt Antenna 14 April 23rd 07 11:21 AM
Gamma-Match formulas--design? John Smith Antenna 81 April 12th 05 04:48 AM
Problem with Gamma Match? Jason Dugas Antenna 1 August 13th 04 03:22 AM
Gamma Match g subs Antenna 2 March 20th 04 03:42 PM
Gamma match: Inherently inferior to balanced match systems? Cecil Moore Antenna 5 September 24th 03 04:57 PM