Old May 19th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Wrist Rocket Height

R.Scott wrote:
I'm trying to restring my Dipole up in a Pine (the tree has grown
about 10 ft, and the rope needs replacing) so I got out my trusty
Surgical tubing wrist rocket and a 1oz egg weight tied to my 15# test
fishing rod/reel (only using the bottom eye).

No matter how far I pulled back I got about 2/3s of the way up. Im
estimating that is about the 35 ft level.

Shouldn't a wrister go farther ???? need bigger weight ?

Suggestions.

I've shot over 100 feet high with a Wrist Rocket using a 2 oz weight and
about 6 pound test fishing line.

Make sure your fishing reel is nearly full, to minimize the resistance
as the line comes off.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old May 20th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:25:04 -0700 (PDT), Tim Shoppa
wrote:

On May 19, 1:06*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 16 May 2008 10:39:11 -0700 (PDT), TimShoppa

wrote:

snip...........

The tennis ball cannon I use is very very similar to the CSV19 at
http://www.antennalaunchers.com/and I am very very happy with it.
It's not so much a "point above a crotch in the tree and hope the ball
goes through" but "just shoot the ball and line over the tree".

Tim.

I built the QE-19 from the same site Tim mentioned. *The "air valve"
for it is off-the-shelf so it's a plug-n-play project. *It beats every
fishing rod, bow & arrow, sling shot..... anything I've ever tried
before. *Beats them hands down. *It'll easily clear a 100 foot height
and is accurate after you shoot it a couple times. *It's a little
pricey but that could be spread out if it were to become a club
project.

My impression is that the CSV19, with its modified sprinkler valve,
has a higher muzzle velocity than the QE-19. But overall, I agree
100%, that for me the tennis ball launcher was far and away the best
choice.

I have some friends who are very good with crossbows and they tell me
that I'm wrong, that the crossbow will do the job more reliably and
accurately than my tennis ball cannon, but I don't have a crossbow and
don't really intend to learn how to use one. I don't really want to
shoot arrows into my neighbor's property either. The tennis ball
cannon just made the job so easy, and literally the only gotcha is
that you'll not only send the ball over the target tree, but probably
the trees behind it if you aren't careful. One trick I learned very
quickly: When you see the ball go over the target tree, grab the
fishing line and stop it, then let it go so the ball can just fall
from there. My trees are at the very edges/corners of my property, and
using this trick I was able to ensure that the support lines are also
within the property.

Tim N3QE

A lead weight from a slingshot or an arrow from a bow will clear most
anything if the string is set up correctly. But both are fairly
dangerous coming down if the string breaks. That's the good thing
about the tennis ball cannons, I think they're safer.

I chose the QE-19 because the components were off-the-shelf and
required no modification.

Kingfish
Old May 20th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Wrist Rocket Height - DILEMMA 2

Tim Shoppa wrote:
On May 19, 12:08 am, "R.Scott" wrote:
Well my Antenna Im trying to raise and replace the rope is STUCK.

It seems after all this time the tree has trapped the rope up there,
and the antenna is Too high for me to
reach the rope with my Tree Trimmer on a ladder (its 20ft long)

SOOO, how does one get the rope to break or what can i pull up with a
rope if I toss it over the old rope to cut the line

(Ive already pulled as hard as I dare, its STUCK)

Climb up a ladder, cut it as high as you can.

The tree-trimmer-on-a-pole doohinkeys don't work well at all for
cutting ropes.

I cant get to the rope, I can reach about 1/3 of my antenna .. dont want
to leave that up there

I figure out something.

Old May 21st 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

How do you get the rope down? How about attaching to the bumper of
your car and slowly driving away from the tree? Pad the 'edges' of
the bumper, they like to 'eat' rope. Hope the rope is weaker than the
tree.
Was on the receiving end of a piece of 30-40 foot nylon cord I was
trying to get off of a lamp post. You might be surprised at what that
stuff will feel like when it snaps and hits you. Took a few days, but
the welts finally disappeared. The memory will last forever!
- 'Doc

PS - Having a hardware store hanging from a tree is a sure sign of a
dedicated ham! Sort of a huge wind-chime, right?
Old May 21st 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 21 May 2008 07:51:33 -0700 (PDT) in
rec.radio.amateur.antenna, wrote,
How do you get the rope down? How about attaching to the bumper of
your car and slowly driving away from the tree? Pad the 'edges' of
the bumper, they like to 'eat' rope. Hope the rope is weaker than the
tree.

Be sure to get it on video when you pull the tree down onto your car!

Old May 21st 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim-NN7K wrote:
Tim- from my High school Physics== the Formula is: F= MA
Force = Mass Times Acceleration. Perhaps a Bow and Arrow
will exceed the (Wrist Rocket) in this department? at 50#
Pull for Acceleration? (Oz per Oz) Jim NN7K

more relevant is the 2ad=v^2 equation... height goes as the square of
the launch velocity, neglecting air drag and line drag.

but, where the bow and arrow really excel is in the overall larger mass
of the projectile and higher launch energy (mostly the latter. the arrow
is a couple or three ounces.. same as the wrist rocket.. but the bow
will easily have a 50 lb draw and longer distance.

See, e.g., http://www.stortford-archers.org.uk/medieval.htm for some
discussion of bow and arrow physics

On May 15,

Old May 21st 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

A very important point. In many areas, firing a crossbow (which is
generally perceived as a lethal weapon) at anything other than a
designated target would set you up for a lot of hassles with the local
constabulary, or worse. The tennis ball launcher (avoid the "cannon"
term..) looks less "weapon-y"
Old May 22nd 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim Lux wrote:
... The tennis ball launcher (avoid the "cannon"
term..) looks less "weapon-y"

Not that shoulder fired one that everyone's
been looking at..:-)
http://www.antennalaunchers.com/antlaunching.html

It looks like an RPG. Wander around aiming that
thing at the top of your trees while the
gendarmerie rides past and I'll bet you'll
be asked to "DO IT NOW".

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com

Old May 22nd 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Al W6LX, et. al. --

I bought a 'real' EZ HANG from Dennis (KG4ETM) at Dayton,
(http://ezhang.com) and after taking a few trial shots
I had *no* problem shooting the one ounce weight over a
135+ foot Tulip Poplar tree in my back yard in northern
Virginia.

The tree was so tall that I used -all- 300 feet of the
monofilament line and the weight ended up about three feet
off the ground.

My point is that if you use an "EZ Hang" (or a counterfeit)
properly, that thing really works!

Wish you were closer so I could show you. It's a great
gadget!

---------------

News Features wrote:
Jim's calculations have confirmed something I've consistently experienced:
my homebrew EZ-Hang has never really lived up to my expectations, or should
I say the expectations that others have set for the performance of the
thing. (For the record, my homebrew device is an exact copy of the famous
EZ-Hang.)

For the past three Field Days, which is when I've used the thing, the
maximum height I've seemed to attain is around 50 feet-- right in the
ballpark for a 1 oz. weight with line and air drags. No matter what I've
tried, that's the limit of height for the parameters of my situation.

Thanks, Jim.

Al W6LX

Old May 22nd 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

SWLer wrote:
Hi Al W6LX, et. al. --

I bought a 'real' EZ HANG from Dennis (KG4ETM) at Dayton,
(http://ezhang.com) and after taking a few trial shots
I had *no* problem shooting the one ounce weight over a
135+ foot Tulip Poplar tree in my back yard in northern
Virginia.

The tree was so tall that I used -all- 300 feet of the
monofilament line and the weight ended up about three feet
off the ground.

How far back do you pull, and how hard?

Flip that wrist, flip that wrist, flip that wrist so limp Keyclowns are retards CB 0 March 19th 07 12:05 AM
Rocket Boy KC8GXW-Jim Policy 2 February 11th 07 11:28 PM
Rocket Antennas... [email protected] Antenna 2 February 7th 06 08:46 PM
Antenna height vs roof height Thierry Antenna 4 July 22nd 04 05:00 PM
You may not be a rocket scientist.... KØHB Policy 1 November 10th 03 03:42 AM