Old May 15th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Mounting a 1.25" mast to a wooden fence ...

I should be embarrassed to ask this question. Heck, I -am embarrassed
to ask this question, but my handyman skills are non-existent, so here
I am.

I have a couple of sections of 1.25" steel antenna mast, and I'd like
to mount the bottom section to a wooden fence using the fence's three
horizontal 2x4 braces as the mount points.

I thought I'd just go to the hardware store and pick up a few pipe
clamps and I'd be done. However, it seems that no standard pipe or
tube actually has an OD of 1.25", so nothing in either the electrical
or plumbing sections will actually work.

As I said, my handyman skills are nil, so unless I can buy something
readymade to do the trick, it's going to turn into a real hack job.

What do I look for in the hardware store to pull this off?

--
Bert Hyman W0RSB | St. Paul, MN |
Old May 15th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tam Tam is offline

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
I should be embarrassed to ask this question. Heck, I -am embarrassed
to ask this question, but my handyman skills are non-existent, so here
I am.

I have a couple of sections of 1.25" steel antenna mast, and I'd like
to mount the bottom section to a wooden fence using the fence's three
horizontal 2x4 braces as the mount points.

I thought I'd just go to the hardware store and pick up a few pipe
clamps and I'd be done. However, it seems that no standard pipe or
tube actually has an OD of 1.25", so nothing in either the electrical
or plumbing sections will actually work.

As I said, my handyman skills are nil, so unless I can buy something
readymade to do the trick, it's going to turn into a real hack job.

What do I look for in the hardware store to pull this off?

--
Bert Hyman W0RSB | St. Paul, MN |

If you have good posts, I would get a vent pipe mount from RS and connect it
to a post. The mount should not have any vertical load on it. You could also
get some 5 - 6 inch 1/4 inch screws and fasten the pipe that way after
drilling holes in the pipe. If the post won't support the pipe, it won't
support it fastened to rails either.

Tam/WB2TT

Old May 16th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bert Hyman wrote:
What do I look for in the hardware store to pull this off?

I believe what you need are U-Bolts which come in
assorted sizes.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old May 16th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I thought I'd just go to the hardware store and pick up a few pipe
clamps and I'd be done. However, it seems that no standard pipe or
tube actually has an OD of 1.25", so nothing in either the electrical
or plumbing sections will actually work.

I am puzzled that you could not find a clamp that would fit your
mast. The electrical dept. should have U clamps, and single screw
conduit clamps, some at least which should provide a reasonable fit
over your mast. If you must, get the size which may seem too small and
either use spacers between the clamp base and wood, or simply screw the
screws in tight even if the clamp base doesn't press fully against the
wood as you might prefer.

Also, you might want to screw a bit of 2x4 to the fence cross piece
in such a manner as to provide a base on which the mast can set....
otherwise it might be possible for it to slide down in the mounting
clamps you use.

Good luck.

Ed K7AAT