Old May 30th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Renting amateur tower space

"Lumpy" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
You state that this could be a 'non profit' or 'standard' business...
and that it could be for safety purposes... in which cases i agree
with others that have stated that there is a possible liability
issue, whether you see it or not...

Thank you for seeing it. Imagine some kind of incident
occurrs where this system failed. They examine all
the equipment on the ship, on land, wherever.
They find that the tower was used, 50 years old, purchased
from an SK ham estate sale, installed by some local
amateurs over Labor Day weekend, using the original
guy lines and hardware that were on the tower in
it's previous install, and in violation of someone's
CCR's because it now holds some kind of commercial
aid to navigation and the tower owner was away for
the weekend visiting the Hamfest in Dayton.

Even if nothing goes wrong, there's something very
wrong with that picture.

Not to mention, I still don't understand what all
these ground based RECEIVERS are supposed to do.
How does a receiver on shore assist navigation
for a vessel in the water?

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com

The information trasmitted by the ships gives heading, speed, callsign and
other data such as length, beam and draught.

Mike.

Old May 30th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Lumpy" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

AIS is not only an aid to navigation, it's just like APRS for ships,
it allows those ashore at remote locations to monitor the position of
vessels. On a river system I guess it could be used to monitor
traffic flow, optimise lock usage, find out when your vessel is
likely to arrive for unloading etc.

How does the intended client receive the data?
ie, if there's a tower in E Bumphuk Bay and my
dock/warehouse is up in N Fugawee, how does
that ship position data make it's way to me?

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com

via the internet, there is already extensive sharing of AIS data from ships
at sea over the internet.

Jeff

Old May 31st 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

LRKSFAG wrote:
Brother's great, I top you and I are also top-Jin top。'NACHI'

Well, I think that goes without saying.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com