Old June 4th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What effect does a tuner have at the antenna?

Dieter Kiel wrote:
The tuner doesn`t change the antenna specification, e.g. gain,
impedance, or pattern.
If you buy a beam antenna you will get this data, and the pattern of the
antenna is most time a free room pattern.

As the tuner is used to match the impedance of the radio to the line it
will effect the power getting to the antenna or the signal received from
the antenna if it is passed through the tuner.

Agree with the above because the matching device (tuner) is NOT 100%
efficient , hence some (hopefully very little) RF power from the
transmitter will be converted in heat inside the matching device.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH.

Old June 4th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

A popular myth is developing that the tuner has no effect
at the antenna feedpoint and the only goal is to make the
transmitter "happy". My question is: if we monitored
only the forward current or forward power at the antenna
feedpoint, could we still adjust the tuner? If the answer
is "yes", the myth is false.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old June 4th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:

A popular myth is developing that the tuner has no effect
at the antenna feedpoint and the only goal is to make the
transmitter "happy".

The myth is undoubtedly that the implied point of view is either
popular or developing.

ac6xg

Old June 4th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim Kelley wrote:

w5dxp wrote:
A popular myth is developing that the tuner has no effect
at the antenna feedpoint and the only goal is to make the
transmitter "happy".

The myth is undoubtedly that the implied point of view is either popular
or developing.

From QRZ.com regarding tuners:

"The tuner has absolutely no effect at the antenna."

From eHam.net regarding tuners:

"Does nothing. The tuner as the other poster said,
just makes your radio happy."
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old June 4th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Oh, I think the 'myth' is fairly true as far as it goes. It just
doesn't 'go' far enough, sort of.
As in;
It does make the transmitter 'happy'. Since it 'sees' an impedance it
likes, it decides to not
hold back but put out full power. That means that more signal does
reach the antenna than
may have before using that tuner. Which means that the antenna can
radiate more signal.
Does that mean the tuner changes anything about the antenna? It's
input impedance? Or
just the amount of signal that gets radiated. Sort of depends on just
'where' that tuner is,
doesn't it.
People who do know something about how all that stuff works, do know
that this whole thingy
is a 'myth' of sorts. It needs Paul Harvey's, the "rest of the
story", to finish it off. Then it makes
sense.
I seriously doubt if I busted and bubbles here, or repudiated any
'myth'. I'm devastated!
- 'Doc

Old June 4th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
That means that more signal does reach the antenna than
may have before using that tuner.

Sounds like an effect that the tuner has on the
antenna, huh?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com
Old June 4th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

From QRZ.com regarding tuners:

"The tuner has absolutely no effect at the antenna."

From eHam.net regarding tuners:

"Does nothing. The tuner as the other poster said,
just makes your radio happy."

Neither Eham nor QRZ publish official technical opinions of the
staff, near as I can tell..... thus the above comments only reflect the
opinions of some anonymous contributers. As we all know, regarding
antenna theory there is a huge gap in the knowledge of many hams.

Regarding tuners and antennas, isn't the main job of an antenna
coupler ( tuner at feedpoint ) to maximize the efficient transfer of
power from the feedline to the antenna? If true, then the coupler (
tuner) certainly does have an effect !

Ed K7AAT

Old June 5th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 4, 5:23 pm, "Ed_G" wrote:
From QRZ.com regarding tuners:

"The tuner has absolutely no effect at the antenna."

From eHam.net regarding tuners:

"Does nothing. The tuner as the other poster said,
just makes your radio happy."

Neither Eham nor QRZ publish official technical opinions of the
staff, near as I can tell..... thus the above comments only reflect the
opinions of some anonymous contributers. As we all know, regarding
antenna theory there is a huge gap in the knowledge of many hams.

Regarding tuners and antennas, isn't the main job of an antenna
coupler ( tuner at feedpoint ) to maximize the efficient transfer of
power from the feedline to the antenna? If true, then the coupler (
tuner) certainly does have an effect !

Ed K7AAT

I'd never really heard of this myth, but myself, I think the feed
point
is the best place for a tuner if the intent is to match the load to
the
feed line. As an example, if you were using 50 ohm coax, and the load
was in the 1000 ohm range, you would have an overall lower system
loss matching the load to the coax, rather than place the tuner at
the
rig and matching the load seen at the coax to the rig.
With the lower loss ladder lines I suppose it becomes less critical.
Old June 5th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

AI4QJ wrote:
One cannot operate the tuner in this configuration for maximum power
transfer with either a forward-only meter or one that measure net power
delivered (smmation of forward plus reflected).

If we adjusted the tuner for maximum forward power
at the antenna, wouldn't that mean the tuner was
properly tuned for a Z0-match at the transmitter?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old June 5th 08, 08:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
That means that more signal does reach the antenna than
may have before using that tuner.

Sounds like an effect that the tuner has on the
antenna, huh?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

No, it sounds like it has an effect on the signal that is reaching the
antenna.

Jeff