Old June 9th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default TV Antenna.....Please Help....

All,
Some History...
My home, previously owned by my parents, has approximately a 30' Tower
and has a channel master antenna (whats left) attached to it. It was
used for TV/Radio reception originally. If I remember correctly it was
around a $100-$125 bucks for the antenna alone and had a range
(supposedly) of around 100-125 miles. I live in the suburbs of Toledo,
Ohio. The current antenna had a bumpy start when the original
installer (a professional) dropped the antenna from about 25 feet up.
A few things were dented and broken. It was cleaned up and then the
antenna was still installed. The decision was based on the fact that
we are in the surburbs and the antenna was an overkill. From memory
the unit had a cracked chunk of plastic and a bunch of dented\bent
rods. We had no problems with the unit reception wise so it really did
not affect its use. The antenna tower was second hand, but the rotor
motor, antenna, all wiring and the control box was new. The rotor
motor and its control box since installation has been used maybe 3
times. Once installed we had really good reception and picked up
Detroit,Toledo,Some Cleveland (Good Day) and some single channel in
Indiana. I do not remember any Columbus channels as some channels were
really fuzzy. (not sure if it was columbus or not)

Any Ways...Fast Forward ...a few years.....

Then about 6 yrs ago, a year before I took posession of the house and
when my parents were cable TV subscribers, the antenna broke
basically in two and a large chunk of the antenna came crashing to the
ground. The remaining antenna chunk and tower is still standing to
this day. Its a eye sore to say the least.

My goal is to replace the antenna and I need some advice.

Would you keep the tower? The only thing I can see wrong with it is
that it has a large bunch of vines growing up the middle. There is
little to no rust. The vines have been recently chopped down but the
higher section of vine is still intangled in the tower. I have tried
to climb the tower and got about 15 feet up and it swayed a little so
I came down. I am a little to heavy, or chicken, to be climbing
towers. The vines should not affect climbing the tower.

Or would I be better off/the same to get a roof mount antenna?

I liked the range of the previous antenna, so what would everyone
suggest for an antenna with a range of around 100-125 miles that could
be mounted to a 30 foot tower and will be used for radio and TV
reception I have made a few phone calls and everyone locally pushes
the Channel Master but I am little nervous about having to have to do
this every 7-10 years based on the last antenna. Has anyone had better
experience with Channel Master?

As its been used like three times, would you replace the rotor motor?

What should I expect to pay to have a new antenna and rotor motor
installed in my home?

Anyone know a good antenna dealer in the Toledo, Ohio area?

Thanks,
Chris

Old June 10th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

You would probably need to replace the twinlead as well as the antenna.
The next time you see a Radio shack, you might sneak inside and ask about TV
antennas.
Or they probably have a web site. with prices
Yeah - they do - click on this link...
http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...2187.20 32189
HTH
Hal
w4pmj

Old June 10th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Chris,
Seven to ten years ain't bad for the life span of a TV antenna
really. Some might last longer but most are ready for replacement/
repair in that time period.
You might give a thought to the cabling when replacing that
antenna. Might not have to replace the rotor, but certainly wouldn't
hurt to replace it's control cables. If it isn't used, why not just
remove it? Then again, you might want to see if you can't receive
more stations by swinging that antenna before doing that.
Best advice for finding a 'cost affective' bargain would be to shop
around, see what things are going for. Nothing wrong with being
frugal, but don't expect miracles no matter what the price.
If quality reception is the goal, I also think you might consider
keeping that cable or sat' system, rather than going back to an
antenna. Getting rid of the tower, rotor, etc, shouldn't be a problem
at all, too many of them hams around for that! Something on the order
of, "You get it down and out'a here and you can have it!", will make
your ears pop from the air slamming shut when it disappears.
- 'Doc

Old June 10th 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hal Rosser wrote:
[...]

Firstly ,it is my understanding that in the USA all terrestrial TV
stations will go digital in 2009 , so it would be useful to know which
are the frequencies/bands this service will be offered in your (Toledo)
area ,before you buy any new antenna.

Secondly ,most ,if not all TV sets nowadays have an antenna input socket
for 75 Ohms coax. Since coax is less 'environment sensitive' than twin
lead feeder , it does make sense to run coax to the antenna.
If the antenna's active element is a folded dipole ,its connection box
will include a (usually pig nose type) 4:1 balun.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old June 10th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tam Tam is offline

[...]

I used to live about 10 mi east of Toledo off Ohio Rt2, and my experience
was similar to what you are seeing. I was about 4 mi from the Toledo antenna
farm; so, anything more than a bent paper clip was overkill for the Toledo
channels. Got Detroit, Flint, Cleveland. Never Columbus or Dayon.

After the digital switchover all the Detroit stations will be on UHF. Flint
will have 2 UHF plus CH12. Toledo stations will be on 5, 11, 13, 29,, 46,
and 49. Cleveland will be all UHF, except for CH8. If you live on the east
side, you will be able to get by with a UHF only antenna. Else, I would wait
until the CH7 - CH51 antennas get more common. No sense getting a CH3 - 69
antenna because they are 3X as big as a 7 -51 antenna with the same
performance. Also, people here claim the big ChannelMaster 8x bow tie UHF
antenna works well on the higher VHF channels.

Keep the tower and rotator, but make sure the tower is not rusted out at the
base before you let anyone climb it. If you don't want to save the rotator,
just point at Detroit and hope.

Tam/WB2TT

Old June 10th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 10, 9:23*am, "Tam" wrote:
[...]

Tam/WB2TT- Hide quoted text -

Everyone thanks for the help!

I am looking at the following combination;

Please Chime in with opinions ....

Digicon Coax Cable 50Ft
Winegard HD 8200U High Definition Platinum VHF/UHF/FM Antenna
Channel Master Complete 9521A Complete Antenna Rotator Kit with Infra
Red and 100Ft of Rotator Wire
Invisible MultiRoom Frequency Remote Extender (Converts the InfraRed
to RF)
I currently have a amplifier- but was looking at a Eagle Aspen 15db
(DISTAMP-15GX). I am not really sure if its really needed or not but
on my furthest run out to the second Garage it makes a difference
there. Probably will skip the amplifier until its needed as mine works
fine.

I will get over the height issue of the tower by renting a portable
50ft Lift for around 100 bucks a 24 hr period. I then can clean the
tower of the vines, do some trim work on a few trees, and easy place
the antenna. The height does not bother me, its the flexibilty of the
tower with me on it that makes me nervous. Plus the $100 bucks is far
cheaper then falling off the tower. Total bill should be around $450.
I was quoted prices in the $800 plus range using my tower when I
called around Toledo. Totally new with new tower was $1500-2000. The
run of cabling to the house's main antenna connection and power needs
(rotator etc) is a breeze as its 12 feet from roof edge to main house
panel.

Thanks again,
Chris
Old June 11th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Highland Ham" wrote in message
Firstly ,it is my understanding that in the USA all terrestrial TV
stations will go digital in 2009 , so it would be useful to know which are
the frequencies/bands this service will be offered in your (Toledo) area
,before you buy any new antenna.

Secondly ,most ,if not all TV sets nowadays have an antenna input socket
for 75 Ohms coax. Since coax is less 'environment sensitive' than twin
lead feeder , it does make sense to run coax to the antenna.
If the antenna's active element is a folded dipole ,its connection box
will include a (usually pig nose type) 4:1 balun.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Give twinlead a twist every couple of feet and you save the cost of that
coax.
At the freqs used, most coax could be rather lossy, depending on the length
of the run, but twinlead has a very happy combination of being low-loss -
and - low-cost compared to most coax. (And lighter weight too.)
The 4-1 balun ( coax to twinlead adapter) is cheap enough.
I've used twinlead and tv baluns for a 200-ft run to my antenna on 10 meters
(5 watts) with good results both tx and rec.
Ya just gotta match impedences and you're good to go.

Old June 11th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Hal Rosser wrote:

Give twinlead a twist every couple of feet and you save the cost of that
coax.
At the freqs used, most coax could be rather lossy, depending on the length
of the run, but twinlead has a very happy combination of being low-loss -
and - low-cost compared to most coax.

When it's new, when it's clean, and when it's dry.

As I understand it, one of the bigger downfalls of ordinary 300-ohm
twinlead for TV reception is that its performance can deteriorate
rather badly with age. Sunlight causes the PVC to deteriorate, and
surface contamination and moisture (e.g. rain) can significantly
increase the losses.

Coax is much less vulnerable to these problems.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old June 11th 08, 08:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Platt wrote:
As I understand it, one of the bigger downfalls of ordinary 300-ohm
twinlead for TV reception is that its performance can deteriorate
rather badly with age. Sunlight causes the PVC to deteriorate, and
surface contamination and moisture (e.g. rain) can significantly
increase the losses.

It's also subject to problems if it is too close to things, remember those
special standoff insulators for it? It can not be looped, wrapped around things,
etc.

Geoff.

Old June 11th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 11, 3:19*am, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
Dave Platt wrote:
As I understand it, one of the bigger downfalls of ordinary 300-ohm
twinlead for TV reception is that its performance can deteriorate
rather badly with age. *Sunlight causes the PVC to deteriorate, and
surface contamination and moisture (e.g. rain) can significantly
increase the losses.

It's also subject to problems if it is too close to things, remember those
special standoff insulators for it? It can not be looped, wrapped around things,
etc.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM

All,
I think the antenna has a coax connection built into it (One of
advertisements I saw). Also the previous wire was coax as is the rest
of the house. So I think Coax is a given for me due to simplicity and
never having any problems with it in the past. I will keep it in mind
though if something would change on the antenna or plans.

Thanks again,
Chris