Old June 24th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

Default Does a HF vertical antenna need a balun?

Nick wrote:
Thanks for all the great responses guys! That is exactly what I
had thought, that since the outer coax braid is grounded at the
antenna, and at the shack, and (in my case) at the center with a
lightening protector, then I just couldn't figure out why some antenna
companies, such as reliable DX engineering with their DXE-VFCC H05-A
Vertical Feedline Current Choke, strongly recommend such a line
isolator for verticals.

Nick, think about it. If you ground the feedline at exactly a
common-mode standing wave voltage node, the ground accomplishes
absolutely nothing. You certainly don't want to use "plumber's
delight" techniques in your ground system.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old June 25th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Jun 24, 3:30*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
Nick wrote:
* *Thanks for all the great responses guys! *That is exactly what I
had thought, that since the outer coax braid is grounded at the
antenna, and at the shack, and (in my case) at the center with a
lightening protector, then I just couldn't figure out why some antenna
companies, such as reliable DX engineering with their DXE-VFCC H05-A
Vertical Feedline Current Choke, strongly recommend such a line
isolator for verticals.

Nick, think about it. If you ground the feedline at exactly a
common-mode standing wave voltage node, the ground accomplishes
absolutely nothing. You certainly don't want to use "plumber's
delight" techniques in your ground system.
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

Thanks Richard and Cecil.
Cecil, I understand what you are saying, but still why not use the
outer shield of the coax as one of the radials, and simply choke off
the coax just before it enters the shack? I also don't want to add
what may be a useless choke at the antenna's feedpoint, since that
would decrease the antenna system's efficiency due to the choke's
resistive losses...

Thanks!

-Nick
Old June 25th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:41:31 -0700 (PDT), Nick
wrote:

I also don't want to add
what may be a useless choke at the antenna's feedpoint, since that
would decrease the antenna system's efficiency due to the choke's
resistive losses...

Hi Nick,

A choke at the feedpoint does NOT add loss.

The Choke (which may be resistive insofar as the bulk material's
property) is in the Common Mode circuit. The load is in the
Differential Mode circuit. You want a very, very high Z (or R, it
makes no difference) in the Common Mode circuit. The choke is
entirely transparent to the Differential Mode circuit.

If you don't understand the difference between the two modes (and it
is not a common topic outside of electronics design) then, no doubt,
others will fill in (or simply go to wikipedia).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old June 25th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:41:31 -0700 (PDT), Nick
wrote:

Â* Â*Thanks for all the great responses guys! Â*That is exactly what I

73, Cecil Â*http://www.w5dxp.com

Thanks Richard and Cecil.
Cecil, I understand what you are saying, but still why not use the
outer shield of the coax as one of the radials, and simply choke off
the coax just before it enters the shack? I also don't want to add
what may be a useless choke at the antenna's feedpoint, since that
would decrease the antenna system's efficiency due to the choke's
resistive losses...

Thanks!

-Nick

When I was into 2-meters 40+ years ago, I preferred gamma-matched
verticals.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
Old June 25th 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

wrote:
I also don't want to add
what may be a useless choke at the antenna's feedpoint, since that
would decrease the antenna system's efficiency due to the choke's
resistive losses...

Hi Nick,

A choke at the feedpoint does NOT add loss.

The Choke (which may be resistive insofar as the bulk material's
property) is in the Common Mode circuit. *The load is in the
Differential Mode circuit. *You want a very, very high Z (or R, it
makes no difference) in the Common Mode circuit. *The choke is
entirely transparent to the Differential Mode circuit.

If you don't understand the difference between the two modes (and it
is not a common topic outside of electronics design) then, no doubt,
others will fill in (or simply go to wikipedia).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Thanks for the further info Richard! I guess I don't really fully
understand why the pure resistive losses in the coax choke wouldn't
affect the efficiency of the monopole. If I understand you correctly
(and I may not!), then even if we increase the impedance of the coax
choke to insane levels, such as by making it 1000 feet long and
winding it on a six inch diameter PVC form, then the huge losses
normally inherent in such a long run of coax would not be seen at all
by the vertical because it is wound on the PVC form? (I'm not arguing
with you at all, I just really want to know).

73,

-Nick

Old June 25th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:12:55 -0700 (PDT), Nick
wrote:

Thanks for the further info Richard! I guess I don't really fully
understand why the pure resistive losses in the coax choke wouldn't
affect the efficiency of the monopole. If I understand you correctly
(and I may not!), then even if we increase the impedance of the coax
choke to insane levels, such as by making it 1000 feet long and
winding it on a six inch diameter PVC form, then the huge losses
normally inherent in such a long run of coax would not be seen at all
by the vertical because it is wound on the PVC form? (I'm not arguing
with you at all, I just really want to know).

73,

-Nick

Hi Nick,

Well, no argument perceived. 1000 feet would come with its own loss.
This is published in dB attenuation/100 feet for almost any type and
grade of coax in the market (and those that are no longer made). This
is truly Differential Mode loss.

Winding too much into a coil would not necessarily achieve the results
expected due to self-resonance (it could act like a shorted choke, and
not very useful). You can achieve astonishingly high Zs with a coiled
transmission line with very little effort (roughly 8-12 turns on a
liter pop bottle - empty of course - for HF). It will peak at some
frequency and provide adequate isolation in nearby bands; however, the
ferrite chokes can be made to cover a decade of frequency - or much
more (3-30 MHz), if you care to really go whole hog (3MHz-3GHz) with
1000 Ohms of Z (principally R) without too much effort either (more
cost than effort I should add).

One proviso should be observed: Whatever problems find their way onto
the shield of the coax (Common Mode circuit) can arrive over the air.
If they do, they can induce themselves into the below the choke point
as easily as at the antenna. The solution here is to repeat the choke
construction 1/4 wavelength from the feedpoint (a second choke, that
is). If you are choking a wide band, you might try distributing the
ferrite beads over a greater length of coax than the 1 foot it would
normally inhabit. I have a 20 foot ferrite choking section that I can
insert, inline, into my feeds. It has one bead every 3 or 4 inches. I
wouldn't advise this as replacing the feedpoint choke, but rather the
second choke some short distance away.

Note that I made a distinction about interference coming in "over the
air." This is not the only way as most home based interference comes
into the receiver by conduction - sharing a poor ground. Most folks
who swear that chokes don't work (or at least theirs don't so none
do), are suffering from ground loops. A choke can help, but not
nearly as well as combining it with conventional grounding solutions.
Poor advice abounds in this topic too.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old June 25th 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

I guess I don't really fully
understand why the pure resistive losses in the coax choke wouldn't
affect the efficiency of the monopole.

A simple way to think of it is: Ferrite beads over the outer of a coax has
no effect on the signals flowing 'normally'
up and down 'inside' it. The beads only effect signals that are flowing on
the outer (treating it like a piece of wire rather
than a coax transmission line). I know that this is not quite the full story
but it is a simple explanation of the situation
under discussion.

Jeff

Old June 25th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

Nick wrote:
Cecil, I understand what you are saying, but still why not use the
outer shield of the coax as one of the radials, and simply choke off
the coax just before it enters the shack? I also don't want to add
what may be a useless choke at the antenna's feedpoint, since that
would decrease the antenna system's efficiency due to the choke's
resistive losses...

Unless the coax is up and in the clear, common-mode power is
probably wasted whether you choke or not.

If your choke at the shack happens to be placed at a common-
mode voltage-maximum/current-minimum, it will be ineffective.
One reason for placing a choke at the antenna feedpoint is
that is probably the maximum current point where the choke
has a good chance of being most effective.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old June 25th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

Nick wrote:

Thanks for all the great responses guys! That is exactly what I
had thought, that since the outer coax braid is grounded at the
antenna, and at the shack, and (in my case) at the center with a
lightening protector,

Wad is dis? Is that something to protect your coax from becoming too light?

Jes kiddin'!

then I just couldn't figure out why some antenna
companies, such as reliable DX engineering with their DXE-VFCC H05-A
Vertical Feedline Current Choke, strongly recommend such a line
isolator for verticals.

Since they make them, they're happy to sell them to you.

A direct quote from DX Engineering's Website:

"2/5 kW Vertical Feedline Current Choke
If your antenna SWR is already low and you wish to reduce feedline
radiation and improve reception, a Feedline Current Choke is
recommended.

I am really at a loss as to how this isolator improves reception.

Adding a DX Engineering Feedline Current Choke at the
base of a vertical antenna will substantially reduce unwanted feedline
radiation (RFI), reducing the need for improved station grounding.

Am I a hopeless noob, or are there a lot of things wrong here?
Feedline radiation = RFI. and almost a lure toward poor station grounding?

When quarter-wave antennas are constructed over a good radial system,
they have a feedpoint impedance of about 36 ohms. When they are
constructed over less than a good radial-system there is a loss
introduced into the feed system that adds to the 36-ohm figure. This
improves the SWR but there is a loss in the efficiency of the antenna,
signals transmitted and received have a higher take-off angle and
often there is current introduced on to the feedline.

Are there tests showing this somewhere?

Anyway, you are probably best served by placing as many radials as you
can handle - but more than 4. I just went till my knees and back said
"no more", then came back the next day and laid more. Have as good a
grounding system as you can get, and good lightning protection. IMO, if
that isolator is helping any, it is just trying to mitigate a problem
that should be taken care of elsewhere.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old June 25th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Jun 25, 8:04*am, Michael Coslo wrote:
Nick wrote:
[...]

Thanks again guys. I'll have to study common versus diff mode
currents on coax cable again to gain a better understanding of the
situation! And as was stated by many, a good radial field should
mitigate the situation anyway.

73,

-Nick