Old July 30th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Censored post ...

Jim Kelley wrote:

You bet.

But here's what I really need to know: how can I turn on a message
filter in google groups? That would really help a lot.

ac6xg
(actual callsign)

Well, I am not familiar with google groups; so, I posed the question to
my son, who in turn, posed the question to a friend ...

Short answer is: "NewsProxy", possibly used in conjunction with
"Hampster." (will give you "God-like powers on filtering.")

However, their long answer included the fact that it would be much
easier to set up a real newsreader through a free news server ...

Sorry, best I could do ... I really didn't really understand all they
were willing to explain ... you will excuse me for now wishing to ...

However, to the best of, even, their knowledge, there is "no easy way"
to do what you want.

Regards,
JS
Old July 30th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
... you will excuse me for now wishing to ...

In the above, change now to not ... you probably already caught that ...

Regards,
JS
Old July 30th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ed" wrote in message
. 192.196...

If you ever think about posting to the moderated group, don't ...

Here is an example of a censored post, of mine:

A 5 KW amplifier is not lawful for use under Part 97. Please strike
reference on any resubmit. - K3FU

I'm pretty sure a ham CAN use a 5KW PA, as long as he limits the power
out to the maximum allowed under our FCC rules. Its not the hardware
that is not permited, its the actual power out that counts.

Ed K7AAT

Ought to be obvious: An HF radio can transmit on all parts of its design
bands. License class determines the legality (or not) of the band
segment(s) the licensee accesses. Most hams elect to be straight-shooters
in this regard. Power should be the same.

Old July 30th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
Jim Kelley wrote:
On Jul 29, 6:34 am, Cecil Moore wrote:
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Like you, I'm just an observer in all this, but it appears that Phil
Kane (the gentleman to whom "Mr. Smith" was lecturing) must have been
referring to the practice of using a 5 KW amp at its rated output on
the ham bands as being unlawful. You probably remember Phil from
r.r.a.p. He made his living as a practicing communications attorney
IIRC.

ac6xg

Jim, I can possibly help clarify the situation, at this point.

The "gentleman" who took, apparently/NSHPO, responsibility for the
censorship was Paul Schleck/K3FU (none other than a major player in the
arrl wannabe political league) ... and, in my NSHPO, was stepping up to
assist a friend (aiding an accomplice would just be too harsh of
language) ...

Regards,
JS

You're too modest, "John". I've included a couple of your quotes for
balance.

From rec.radio.cb
Dec. 19, 2006

When I go shopping in walmart, I use maxon 49mhz headsets to communicate
with the wife. I use 5 watt cobra chicken band sets when camping.

I use a 1KW (1.5kw pep) rig for casual world chat.

5KW is just when I get serious ...

JS

From rec.radio.cb
Dec. 20, 2006

Jim:

Whether you are impressed or not is no concern of mine. Trash CB'ers?
Naaa mate! My amateur equip covers the cb band quite nicely, don't mind
chatting up truckers at all!

I was just asking you all if you would be joining me on the ham freqs,
now that the CW requirement in the USA is being dropped ...

Regards,
JS

From rec.radio.cb
May 26, 2005
If one is smart enough to call it an "amateur amplifier" don't they let it
be sold? Certainly every cb'er in the world is smart enough to know an
amateur linear can be used on 11 meters with very little modification...
Also, check out pages on russian linears, they have 3.5KW rigs which are
very affordable... a friend going/living in canada can possibly grab one
for you easily too... there are many ways around any roadblock they can
throw up--retired engineers routinely build linears in their garages for
"beer money."

Warmest regards,
John
From rec.radio.cb
May 26, 2005

Here is a guy which can help you out, or you can at least get ideas from his
page...

A good 4KW to 5KW russian tube in a homebrew linear is just the ticket,
especially if you just "idle" the tube at a 3.5 KW input... last you a
lifetime and all the power you will ever need... someone should set up a
home business building them...

Warmest regards,
John
From rec.radio.amateur.misc
May 25, 2005

I have a single russian tube (two tube in push-pull driving it--in the
amp) which is outputting approx. 4.5KW... can you imagine what the
transistor (mosfet) amp which could match it would look like--or cost!!!!

Warmest regards,
John

I'm certain that you're honest as the day is long and would never
consider running illegal power.

Dave K8MN
Old July 30th 08, 05:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Heil wrote:

Dave K8MN

Ohh Dave, I am a real dangerous scoundrel alright--you sure have me pegged!

Got a "toy car" with the old 454 engine, and a 3/4 race cam, and various
"mods", which can do 200+ mph ... I have only had it up to ~150mph on
the freeway--2, maybe 3 times ... seems I value my life too much, at
least these days, to really enjoy it as much as I had first thought.
Can't really enjoy 'em now that I can freely afford 'em, a shame, really
.... (well, afford 'em without dipping into the kids college monies.)
"Toys" are that way ... can you imagine the cost of the ticket--if I'd
been caught? :-(

Someone like you just can't understand that, I'd imagine ...

But, look on the bright side, someday you can "replay" this post to me!
That would probably you a much bigger "jolt" than any of my "my
notorious exploits!" -- To each his own ...

Someday I'll tell 'ya about some of my "college exploits", but then,
that would probably bore you smirk ... really just did 'em to keep the
girls attention ... ;-)

ROFLOL!!!

Regards,
JS

Old July 30th 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
Regards,
JS

Oh, and those 49mhz rigs--I gave 'em away and went to some ~460 FRS by
Cobra--remember that corp. from the 70's? Used to manufacture CB equip?
The preformance on the high power freqs is amazing ... and the roger
beep works well. grin

Regards,
JS
Old July 30th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
Regards,
JS

Oh, and those 49mhz rigs--I gave 'em away and went to some ~460 FRS by
Cobra--remember that corp. from the 70's? Used to manufacture CB equip?
The preformance on the high power freqs is amazing ... and the roger
beep works well. grin

Regards,
JS

Yanno, I really regret this last post of mine, above, the XYL made me
throw it in ... after she read your post. :-(

Regards,
JS
Old July 30th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

John Smith quoted someone:
"A 5 KW amplifier is not lawful for use under Part 97."

Back in the 60's, a ham friend of mine ran a
surplus AM transmitter capable of 10KW output.
However, he never adjusted his input power to
more than the legal 1KW limit.

Whom, ever "Someone" is, he isn't versed in 47CFR97, and doesn't
understand, or can't comprehend, the actual Rule that Part 97
operations are REQUIRED to operate under. Specifically Part
97.313. I wonder if "Said Person" has ever actually READ
47CFR90.313? Apparently NOT......

Why stop at 97.313? Try 97.315 and 97.317 as well.

Unless "John Smith" has a "certificated for use in the amateur service"
5 kW amp (highly unlikely that one could find such a critter) or
"constructed or modified" the 5 kW amp then it is not legal for amateur
use at any power setting.

73,
Gene
W4SZ
Old July 30th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Gene Fuller" wrote in message
Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

John Smith quoted someone:
[...]

No, friend Gene. It doesn't work that way.

You do not have to have type certification for legal operation in the
amateur bands. You only have to have it if you SELL new amateur equipment in
the USA.

Home made gear, or converted gear from other services, is completely legal
in the USA. Always has been, hopefully always will be.

CB gear must be type certified for selling and for usage.

Again, amateurs are responsible for their RF emissions. The FCC could care
less about the type of gear you are using. In fact, if brand new amateur
gear that was compliant to type acceptance malfunctions and issues an out of
spec emission, YOU as a duly licensed amateur radio operator are held
responsible. Not the manufacturer.

Ed, NM2K

Old July 30th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Gene Fuller wrote:
Unless "John Smith" has a "certificated for use in the amateur service"
5 kW amp (highly unlikely that one could find such a critter) or
"constructed or modified" the 5 kW amp then it is not legal for amateur
use at any power setting.

"Modifications" are trivially easy.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com